Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Difference between Golden Pils Vienna malt and regular Vienna malt?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
What is the difference between Golden Pils Vienna malt and regular Vienna malt?

Thanks.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Difference between Golden Pils Vienna malt and regular Vienna malt?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 10:15:43 am »
Goldpils Vienna is a Briess Malting product. There are differences in Vienna malts, depending on the barley variety and process used by different maltsters.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 07:24:54 am »
Yes, Golden Pils Vienna is a Briess product.

Is Golden Pils Vienna different than regular Vienna malt?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 07:33:57 am »
As I said in my first response, "There are differences in Vienna malts, depending on the barley variety and process used by different maltsters."

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 09:42:20 am »
It is simply Briess’ registered trade name for a particular Vienna Malt it offers.  The Briess site has its specs, including 3.5 degree Lovibond, diastatic power at 80, etc…

https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/malt-of-the-month-goldpils-vienna/

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 03:51:59 pm »
Let me ask the more specific question then. Does anyone have experience with Goldpils Vienna, and how does the flavor compare to continental Vienna malts like Weyermann, Avangard, Swaen, etc.? Is it passably close, good, no good?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 10:01:36 am »
Let me ask the more specific question then. Does anyone have experience with Goldpils Vienna, and how does the flavor compare to continental Vienna malts like Weyermann, Avangard, Swaen, etc.? Is it passably close, good, no good?

In addition is the Briess malt a mix of Vienna and another malt? Wondering from the "Goldpils" in the name.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 10:13:48 am »
You can look at the product spec sheet here.
https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/products/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 10:49:23 am »

no personal experience, I looked at the specs, and they look good. I wouldnt hesitate to try it, and I would bet good money your beer isnt going to taste bad because you used it instead of a continental malt. Its nice to see domestic maltsters trying to get us alternatives to continental malt

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 11:24:53 am »

no personal experience, I looked at the specs, and they look good. I wouldnt hesitate to try it, and I would bet good money your beer isnt going to taste bad because you used it instead of a continental malt. Its nice to see domestic maltsters trying to get us alternatives to continental malt
I know it's personal bias, but going way back I've found a few of Briess's malts to be rather bland, and I've hesitated to go back to them. It seems that they've put some effort in developing new products in recent years, but I haven't heard a lot of feedback on them.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 09:30:29 am »

I know it's personal bias, but going way back I've found a few of Briess's malts to be rather bland, and I've hesitated to go back to them. It seems that they've put some effort in developing new products in recent years, but I haven't heard a lot of feedback on them.

Briess is definitely Macro and Ive had similar experiences with their pale and pils malt. Their caramel malts are nice; kinda like a subdued version of english equivalents. Maybe this Vienna is their attempt to capture some of the artisanal malt market.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 03:51:54 am »

+1

Recently tried Goldpils, didn't care for it.  Haven't used Briess in a long time, thought I'd give this one a try.
Maybe I'm pickier than most, this batch was a dumper, which hasn't been done in a long time.
Also recently used Weyermann Vienna, and personally would choose it over Goldpils without blinking.
Smaller and closer maltsters Vienna malt I found to be best, if found and easily available.
A malt that is not popular, and/or produced in high volume, and/or coming from a long journey may be part of it.
Chances of those malts being much older/stale is greater.

Looking, smelling, feeling and tasting malts is a good indicator what I'm in for.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 05:41:08 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 05:57:19 am »
This is another great example of how completely different we all are.

I’ve used GoldPils in the past and didn’t have any problems with it. Performance and flavor were great.

I’ve used Weyermann and don’t care for the flavor I get from it.  I need to try other continental brands.

I much prefer craft malts over either and I use them when I can.  Mecca Grade quickly comes to mind (but I can’t stand Northern Brewer’s shipping experience).

Fire Rooster

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 06:05:45 am »
This is another great example of how completely different we all are.

I’ve used GoldPils in the past and didn’t have any problems with it. Performance and flavor were great.

I’ve used Weyermann and don’t care for the flavor I get from it.  I need to try other continental brands.

I much prefer craft malts over either and I use them when I can.  Mecca Grade quickly comes to mind (but I can’t stand Northern Brewer’s shipping experience).

All of our tastes are different for sure.
Maybe it was like different years of wine, we had different years, or mine was just way past it's prime.
Or maybe your taste buds are shot, relax only kidding.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2022, 06:33:57 am »
…Or maybe your taste buds are shot...

This could very well be true.