Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Entries for NHC  (Read 8233 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Entries for NHC
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2022, 01:13:05 pm »
It is always hard to accept that there may have been better beers on the table. I tell myself I need to up my game.

No, we fully accept that might have been better beer there. No question.

I find it interesting that the taste panel who sampled my entries this week disagreed with the BJCP judges, on all but one account. And that is the main point being made.

My goal is to make better beer. And I am doing that right now!

But just because they disagreed, does that necessarily mean they were more correct?

They were most certainly more correct...at least on the samples we had saved.

Two comments that were way off, on the color of the Festbier. They said it was too dark, and showed that as a flaw. Even comparing to a Marzen. That is total horse manure.

Another incorrect comment was on a "cardboard" flavor. One other was "under attenuated". Not correct at all. At least not in the bottles we had here.

One comment was the Helles drank like a Pilsner. None of us agreed.

But that is what happens when you as a judge are pressured by time constraints, and rushing to evaluate beers.

I am not faulting any judge, because I know what they were up against. I am faulting the system.

Those that sampled the beers on the panel here are brutal in their judging. They have looked me in the eye, and told me in the past my beer was flawed, and not to enter it in a competition.
love ya bud but....
there's so many logical fallacy's and thinking errors in this post I really don't know where to begin.

Oh...I guess you were at the round table beer evaluation? Funny, we do not recall meeting you!

The info is coming from BJCP folks who were there. You don't have to believe me. Just the messenger.

This was an AHA sponsored event. It only stands to reason the those affiliated with the AHA are going to get defensive over these issues when they are made known.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:26:58 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2022, 01:14:21 pm »
And Dave was a brewer at Community Brewing, in Austin.

I thought Community only brewed out of their Dallas location? I know they sell in the Austin market but didn't realize they had a facility down there, too.

Stand by for clarification...

My error, Rogness Brewing Company.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:23:46 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2022, 01:28:42 pm »
It is always hard to accept that there may have been better beers on the table. I tell myself I need to up my game.

No, we fully accept that might have been better beer there. No question.

I find it interesting that the taste panel who sampled my entries this week disagreed with the BJCP judges, on all but one account. And that is the main point being made.

My goal is to make better beer. And I am doing that right now!

But just because they disagreed, does that necessarily mean they were more correct?

They were most certainly more correct...at least on the samples we had saved.

Two comments that were way off, on the color of the Festbier. They said it was too dark, and showed that as a flaw. Even comparing to a Marzen. That is total horse manure.

Another incorrect comment was on a "cardboard" flavor. One other was "under attenuated". Not correct at all. At least not in the bottles we had here.

One comment was the Helles drank like a Pilsner. None of us agreed.

But that is what happens when you as a judge are pressured by time constraints, and rushing to evaluate beers.

I am not faulting any judge, because I know what they were up against. I am faulting the system.

Those that sampled the beers on the panel here are brutal in their judging. They have looked me in the eye, and told me in the past my beer was flawed, and not to enter it in a competition.
love ya bud but....
there's so many logical fallacy's and thinking errors in this post I really don't know where to begin.

Oh...I guess you were at the round table beer evaluation? Funny, we do not recall meeting you!

The info is coming from BJCP folks who were there. You don't have to believe me. Just the messenger.

This was an AHA sponsored event. It only stands to reason the those affiliated with the AHA are going to get defensive over these issues when they are made known.

Oh, come on.  For one thing I am no longer "AHA affiliated" other than being a member. But the real issue is that I've heard all this before.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2022, 03:46:53 pm »
Agreed.

As it is now painfully obvious, collectively we can only hope that the AHA-NHC will recognize their logistical shortcomings, and address them prior to 2023.

We as brewers are constantly trying to "up our game".

Perhaps it's time for the AHA to take a good hard look at this, and realize it's not all about money, and "up their game".

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2022, 04:18:43 pm »
Agreed.

As it is now painfully obvious, collectively we can only hope that the AHA-NHC will recognize their logistical shortcomings, and address them prior to 2023.

Perhaps it's time for the AHA to take a good hard look at this, and realize it's not all about money, and "up their game".
I have been involved with NHC as an entrant, a judge, a steward, a regional judge director, a final round competition organizer and a regional organizer.
1) the AHA is not in this for the money. 
2) poor evaluations don’t necessarily result from rushed judges
3) all palates are different
4) in a flight of 8 beers 6 or 7 will not move forward
5) the NHC is not about feedback, it’s about winning

That said, I think the AHA is always trying to improve the competition.  Perhaps you could email them some suggestions for improvement.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2022, 07:42:00 pm »
I wouldn’t worry about the nhc anymore since you have your round table suited to your needs.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2022, 07:53:14 pm »
Agreed.

Do you really believe that if the judges took more time you would have medaled? I doubt it. I don’t need a lot of time to pick the best beer from a flight. If your beer didn’t make it, it didn’t make it. NHC is tough. It’s not a regular competition.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2022, 07:48:40 am »
I think that there is room to step back and think about how your beer is evaluated in a competition (blind to who is the brewer, their recipe, etc) and how you and your friends may evaluate the same beer (not blind).  Judging beer is not easy.  Judges volunteer their time to train to be certified, to evaluate beer, and to give feedback when possible.  Many folks that organize competitions and run them are volunteer as well.  Everyone is trying their best to be fair- be careful to not to assume otherwise.  At the end of the day, it's homebrewing...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2022, 07:52:44 am »
Agreed.

I have been involved with NHC as an entrant, a judge, a steward, a regional judge director, a final round competition organizer and a regional organizer.

That said, I think the AHA is always trying to improve the competition.  Perhaps you could email them some suggestions for improvement.

All of this
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2022, 07:53:26 am »
Agreed.

You did best of show one year too.

I agree with the suggestion to email the AHA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2022, 05:59:07 pm »
Jeez I miss the days of people complaining about rebrewing for second round.

Tell Dave hello. Miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline BrewBama

Entries for NHC
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2023, 07:00:45 am »
Jeez I miss the days of people complaining about rebrewing for second round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, your wait is over. I’ve read complaints that the ‘early’ sites haven’t released their results yet while waiting on the ‘late’ sites to finish judging so rebrew can take place.

FWIW, I agree with NHC that all the First Round results should be released at the same time regardless of when they samples were judged to keep the playing field level.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:12:09 am by BrewBama »

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2023, 02:58:25 pm »
Hello BrewBama and all, for the full timeline, visit the website. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/

First-round winners will be posted to the website by May 3 once results are verified by the AHA after judging is completed.

Cheers and good luck to all who entered,
Julia
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline BrewBama

Entries for NHC
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2023, 04:00:49 pm »
I received my scores today. I am very pleased with the feedback I received. I saved a bottle of each entry that I will taste this weekend while re-reading the feedback.

I am especially pleased that Gail Milburn, a Grand Master II, judged one of my beers “Very Good”.  I’ll take that!

One judge thanked me for submitting that same beer.  Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:39:50 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2023, 08:06:22 pm »
I received my scores today. I am very pleased with the feedback I received. I saved a bottle of each entry that I will taste this weekend while re-reading the feedback.

I am especially pleased that Gail Milburn, a Grand Master II, judged one of my beers “Very Good”.  I’ll take that!

One judge thanked me for submitting that same beer.  Pretty cool.
Nice! Congratulations. What style did you enter?