Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing 153 - Drew Tortures Denny With Beer!  (Read 1665 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing 153 - Drew Tortures Denny With Beer!
« on: May 28, 2022, 12:19:52 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-153-drew-tortures-denny-beer

Drew's been busy making beer for festival! What better to do with it than torture Denny with samples of 4 different beers. (All featuring a twist or two and those fantastic Crisp Heritage Malts!) Will Denny like them? Find out!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Experimental Brewing 153 - Drew Tortures Denny With Beer!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 03:27:12 pm »
👍
My only question is where to source archer plumage.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 08:38:36 am »
Enjoyed the podcast!  Especially information on Crisp Chevallier malt and Bloody Butcher Corn malt. I recently brewed a Amber Ale with Chevallier and the malt flavor was awesome. An IPA with Chevallier will be a future brew. Keep up the good work on the podcasts!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 08:46:43 am »
Enjoyed the podcast!  Especially information on Crisp Chevallier malt and Bloody Butcher Corn malt. I recently brewed a Amber Ale with Chevallier and the malt flavor was awesome. An IPA with Chevallier will be a future brew. Keep up the good work on the podcasts!

Chevalier is great, but don't overlook the Plumage Archer. I found it was a great malt for WCIPA. It has so much flavor it really stands up to the hops.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 09:46:57 am »

Chevalier is great, but don't overlook the Plumage Archer. I found it was a great malt for WCIPA. It has so much flavor it really stands up to the hops.
I haven't found a source for Plumage Archer :(

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 09:49:24 am »

I haven't found a source for Plumage Archer :(
And when I went to order some chevelier yesterday I found a sold out note so couldn't get any.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 10:53:30 am »
Good episode.  I liked the section of tasting Drew's beer- just enough tasting notes and quickly moving onto what the recipe was.  How come you don't do something similar in the lounge section when you presumably have a beer?  It's always a commercial beer- why not include some homebrew too?  Just sayin'

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 11:05:39 am »
Northern Brewer has Chevallier Malt and Hanna Malt. Northern Brewer is more expensive than Hop Craft Supply. Keep checking Hop Craft Supply they may more.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 11:39:40 am »
How come you don't do something similar in the lounge section when you presumably have a beer?  It's always a commercial beer- why not include some homebrew too? 

Dirty little secret about the Pub when we talk about beers. We're rarely - usually only when together in person - drinking during the recording. So there we're talking about beers that have been highlights of our recent tries.

Also thanks for the note - we're definitely trying to include more homebrew and homebrew tasting in the mix!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 11:51:02 am »
Good episode.  I liked the section of tasting Drew's beer- just enough tasting notes and quickly moving onto what the recipe was.  How come you don't do something similar in the lounge section when you presumably have a beer?  It's always a commercial beer- why not include some homebrew too?  Just sayin'

That's the Pub and I do sometimes include homebrew.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 05:39:04 pm »
How come you don't do something similar in the lounge section when you presumably have a beer?  It's always a commercial beer- why not include some homebrew too? 

Dirty little secret about the Pub when we talk about beers. We're rarely - usually only when together in person - drinking during the recording. So there we're talking about beers that have been highlights of our recent tries.

Also thanks for the note - we're definitely trying to include more homebrew and homebrew tasting in the mix!
You are welcome!  I really enjoy your podcast and am not at all surprised that you aren't actually drinking while at work- I don't drink and brew; I already make enough mistakes without the alcohol.

Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:23:29 pm by dbeechum »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 08:09:57 pm »
Is there an online source for Bloody Butcher malt? I've been wanting to try this out since I use a fair amount of corn in my brewing, but I haven't found it through through the usual channels, or by using my google-fu.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 09:36:06 pm »
Is there an online source for Bloody Butcher malt? I've been wanting to try this out since I use a fair amount of corn in my brewing, but I haven't found it through through the usual channels, or by using my google-fu.
https://north-georgia-still-company.myshopify.com/products/bloody-butcher-cracked-corn

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 09:36:36 pm »
https://north-georgia-still-company.myshopify.com/products/bloody-butcher-cracked-corn

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 09:37:35 pm »