Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First try and building my own recipe  (Read 4897 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: First try and building my own recipe
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 04:26:47 pm »
Today is bottling day.  The dry hops have been in for about 4 days now, so I think that should be enough time to get what is needed out of them.  I put them in a hop bag this time to cut down on the crap that ends up at the bottom of the fermenter.  I figure a week or two in the closet at about 70 degrees, then put a few in the fridge for a week and see what I got.  More to come.

24 hours is enough.  After that they start reabsorbing the oils.

This time it is pellets, but thanks.  I will try and remember that.  Also, I checked the gravity, and it is down to 1.012 or 1.011.  I think I am going to keep it on the counter today, it is a warm day, probably about 70 or so inside.  This is the number I was looking for though.  So I am pretty happy so far.  But the taste test is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.  Updates to follow.

Same with pellets or whole

Good to know.  I will pull the bag out. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2022, 10:47:39 am »
Today is bottling day.  The dry hops have been in for about 4 days now, so I think that should be enough time to get what is needed out of them.  I put them in a hop bag this time to cut down on the crap that ends up at the bottom of the fermenter.  I figure a week or two in the closet at about 70 degrees, then put a few in the fridge for a week and see what I got.  More to come.

24 hours is enough.  After that they start reabsorbing the oils.

This time it is pellets, but thanks.  I will try and remember that.  Also, I checked the gravity, and it is down to 1.012 or 1.011.  I think I am going to keep it on the counter today, it is a warm day, probably about 70 or so inside.  This is the number I was looking for though.  So I am pretty happy so far.  But the taste test is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.  Updates to follow.

I am a bit confused by your statement above.  Didn't you say at one point that it is best to leave the hops in for 3 or 4 days?  I am not trying to call you out or cause any problems.  Just trying to figure this out.  I am going to pull the bag today as this would be day 4 anyway, but just curious what I should do. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2022, 10:52:02 am »
And of course, as it always goes., my plan was to bottle today after wanting to do it yesterday but seeing some bubbling out of the airlock.  I open the closet door only to find it bubbling still.  Not much, but still doing it.  I am going to take a gravity reading in a bit to see where I am.  If I am still at 1.011 I will bottle as this is what it was yesterday.  If it still shows signs of going down, then I will leave it be another day or two. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2022, 08:36:05 pm »
18 Days in the Fermenter and it still seems to be bubbling along, about a bubble every 8 to 10 seconds.  I have never had one go this long.  Is this normal for Bry97 yeast?  The closet I have the bucket in gets anywhere between 65 to 75 degrees during that time and I just checked it and it is bubbling more now than it was earlier today.  I am happy, because this means things are still moving in the right direction, but to be honest,, none of the yeast I have used so far have gone this long.  Any input would be welcomed.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2022, 08:54:04 pm »
Pulled the hop bag and took a quick gravity reading.  Down to 1.009 or so.  I will leave it be for another day or two and see where we are.  I am not in a rush this time.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2022, 11:05:28 am »
Still bubbling along.  This thread has gone quite a while, so I am guessing no more comments or input is forthcoming.  No worries guys, you have all been incredibly helpful.  Gonna let this run a little more.  Don't want to bottle if the yeast is still doing it's thing. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2022, 12:51:03 pm »
Still bubbling along.  This thread has gone quite a while, so I am guessing no more comments or input is forthcoming.  No worries guys, you have all been incredibly helpful.  Gonna let this run a little more.  Don't want to bottle if the yeast is still doing it's thing.

The bubbles are telling you nothing at this point.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2022, 01:26:25 pm »

I thought the bubbling was the yeast doing it's thing?  I will take another gravity reading today or tomorrow and see where I am.  If it is close to where it was the other day, it is going into bottles.  Thanks Denny.  I am still learning so this was something new for me. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2022, 02:03:01 pm »

I thought the bubbling was the yeast doing it's thing?  I will take another gravity reading today or tomorrow and see where I am.  If it is close to where it was the other day, it is going into bottles.  Thanks Denny.  I am still learning so this was something new for me.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. What you're seeing now is likely dissolved CO2 coming out of solution, not fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2022, 05:50:20 pm »

Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. What you're seeing now is likely dissolved CO2 coming out of solution, not fermentation.

Awesome.   Thank you.  Gonna go into bottles tomorrow then unless you think I should wait a bit longer for the CO2 to dissipate.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2022, 08:57:47 am »
If the CO2 off gassing is minimal, you should have no problem in bottling; I have tried to bottle while there is a lot of CO2 still being produced (early spund, essentially) and the tubing had trouble holding a siphon in that instance - slow racking out, but it still worked...for what it is worth.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2022, 10:20:07 am »
If the CO2 off gassing is minimal, you should have no problem in bottling; I have tried to bottle while there is a lot of CO2 still being produced (early spund, essentially) and the tubing had trouble holding a siphon in that instance - slow racking out, but it still worked...for what it is worth.

Thanks.  I will certainly watch for that.  I am going to check gravity in a bit, and with any luck, it will be in bottles by lunch time.  LOL

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2022, 12:58:03 pm »
Tasting day.  I had two extra bottles that did not fit in the 12 pack containers I used to store the bottles, so after about a week in the closet they went in the fridge to get cold.  Countdown to tasting in 3 mins.  LOL

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2022, 04:57:34 pm »
Tasting day.  I had two extra bottles that did not fit in the 12 pack containers I used to store the bottles, so after about a week in the closet they went in the fridge to get cold.  Countdown to tasting in 3 mins.  LOL

A little early, no?  I’d be surprised if they were properly carbonated after only a week.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2022, 07:37:10 pm »

A little early, no?  I’d be surprised if they were properly carbonated after only a week.
I was always puzzled by this. If primary fermentation is complete within 3-5 days, why does it take 2 weeks to fully carbonate in bottles? The answer, as best I can tell, is that the secondary fermentation in the bottles is done within a few days, just like the primary fermentation, but that the quality of carbonation changes. You can tap a keg after a week and the beer is carbonated but the foam is coarse. After 2 weeks the foam is finer. The same thing happens with bottles. You might be able to chill them down after a week, but is still takes another week for the carbonation to develop.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's