Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: “New” dry lager yeast from Morebeer  (Read 6318 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: “New” dry lager yeast from Morebeer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 12:49:01 pm »
https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-dry-yeast-baja-placeholder.html

Any guesses on what this is? Fermentis S189 perhaps?

So far have brewed with their German and Berlin and results have been great.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-german-dry-lager-yeast.html

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-berlin-dry-lager-yeast.html

Considering it's called Baja, I would assume it's in the Mexican lager world.  If that's true, it makes me doubtful it's S189.  But that's a lot of guessing on my part.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 01:18:17 pm »
Yes, the Baja name is confusing. I was guessing 189 based on the assumption their German and Berlin are Fermentis 34/70 and S23 respectively. All guesses though…..

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 08:36:53 am »
From that page:

If you're looking for a cold fermenting yeast with a neutral character, BAJA from CellarScience is the perfect candidate. This Mexican yeast strain will produce clean, crips lagers and finishes dry. Allowing for the balanced expression of malt and hops, BAJA will become your go-to yeast for fermenting Mexican-style light lagers, dark lagers, and cold IPAs.

My guess would be a dry version of Omega 113 or White Labs 940 which happens to be one of my favorite lager yeast strains and the strain I am brewing with right now.  This is supposed to be Modelo's yeast.  Somewhere in there Wyeast came out with a liquid yeast called Mexicana (or something) and I feel like it was Wyeast 2005.  It was *NOT* like 940 so my guess on that was it was from the other large Mexican brewery that makes Dos Equis, Sol, etc.  Cerveceria Moctezuma.  So this MoreBeer yeast is one of those two strains... that's my guess.  I always said that if someone came out with a dry equivalent of 940 and also a dry equivalent of Omega Bayern, I would consider ditching liquid yeast altogether so this is good news.   
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 10:28:35 am »
I look forward to trying this dry Mex Lager yeast.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 04:49:45 pm »
Just received a brick of this. Will report back when I brew up a batch.

I’d be surprised if Morebeer was tooling up a production run of a new dry strain. Fermentis yeast is available in 10KG packs so I’m betting the whole cellar science line is a repack. But…..I could be wrong!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 07:21:01 pm »

I’d be surprised if Morebeer was tooling up a production run of a new dry strain. Fermentis yeast is available in 10KG packs so I’m betting the whole cellar science line is a repack. But…..I could be wrong!
Someone on another board mentioned this "repacking" and also went as far as saying that this yeast is actually Lallemand Diamond which is mind-blowing because I was hoping it was a dry version of WLP940/Omega 113. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 03:46:49 am »

Someone on another board mentioned this "repacking" and also went as far as saying that this yeast is actually Lallemand Diamond which is mind-blowing because I was hoping it was a dry version of WLP940/Omega 113.

Which board is this on? I haven’t been able to find any chatter on this yeast yet.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 05:55:40 am »
Has anyone contacted morebeer.com, and asked about this yeast?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 06:42:38 am »

Which board is this on? I haven’t been able to find any chatter on this yeast yet.
HERE.  Many of the same people that hang here.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 07:12:26 am »
18 hours ago denny said:
"Considering that I have yet to find a dry yeast that's really close to the liquid equivalent, don't get your hopes up too soon

Ken replied: "True. I like Diamond but I don't think I get the same OOMPH! as I do with 2124."

Stand by for a full split batch analysis of these two yeasts. Diamond vs 2124, a brewing yeast shootout.

As for this topic here on this thread, I am skeptical. Very skeptical. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:14:37 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline tommymorris

“New” dry lager yeast from Morebeer
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 09:32:29 am »

HERE.  Many of the same people that hang here.
That was me that postulated it might be Diamond repackaged. I don’t know anything. I believe Cellar Science repackages all their yeasts and noticed there was a question/answer on the Baja product web page about Diamond pitch rates. Why discuss Diamond pitch rates on the Baja page?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:33:14 am by tommymorris »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 10:18:26 am »
Definitely some degree of confusion on the website as to recommended fermentation temperatures - in one spot it is 48-50F, in another it is 64-72F.  I am guessing that it is more like 48-58F for the recommended range, but that is just a WAG on my part.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 11:07:42 am »
That was me that postulated it might be Diamond repackaged. I don’t know anything. I believe Cellar Science repackages all their yeasts and noticed there was a question/answer on the Baja product web page about Diamond pitch rates. Why discuss Diamond pitch rates on the Baja page?
Your points are valid.  There is some confusion.  I'll post the reply I get from MoreBeer (if I get one...) here so we're all on the same page.  I hope the guys at Cellar Science aren't rebranding some other strain as "Mexican" thinking that homebrewers will snatch it up because it's the first and only dry Mexican lager yeast available.  I will be quite disappointed and discouraged if that's what they're doing here. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 11:10:18 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 12:23:27 pm »
Your points are valid.  There is some confusion.  I'll post the reply I get from MoreBeer (if I get one...) here so we're all on the same page.  I hope the guys at Cellar Science aren't rebranding some other strain as "Mexican" thinking that homebrewers will snatch it up because it's the first and only dry Mexican lager yeast available.  I will be quite disappointed and discouraged if that's what they're doing here.

What is it that makes a Mexican lager yeast different than say a German one?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell