Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Filtering - Unbiased Results  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Filtering - Unbiased Results
« on: May 06, 2022, 03:41:10 pm »
Filtered 10 gallons of 5D today. The beer was not real cloudy, but it had a good amount of haziness. It had been put in the serving keg 5 days ago.

My previous experience with filtering was very good. Using a 5 micron & 3 micron standard water filter, I always achieved brilliant crystal clear beer.

Today for the first time I used the Bev-Brite 3 mic and 1 mic.

Very disappointed in the results. The beer is only slightly more clear than it was before. So I hit one keg with gelatin, and it should be clear within 3 or 4 days at most.

The flavor of the pre and post filtered beer did not seem any different.

I am going to ask more beer dot com if they will take these filters back. They are of little use to me.

Lost very little beer in the process, less than 1 pint from each keg.

Now you know.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Beer Filtering - Unbiased Results
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 06:58:37 am »
If God meant for us to enjoy filtered beer, he would have never given us kidneys.  ;)
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 05:29:30 am »
The beer is now brilliant, crystal clear. I do not perceive any loss in flavor from filtering. Yes, I hit it with gelatin.

Via Craft Beer & Brewing, I watched an hour long interview with the head brewer at Altstadt Brewery, multiple Gold Medal winners at the GABF. He said anything tighter than 3 microns would strip the flavor.

https://www.altstadtbeer.com/beers/

I did a 3 micron followed by a 1 micron.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 07:53:19 am »
The beer is now brilliant, crystal clear. I do not perceive any loss in flavor from filtering. Yes, I hit it with gelatin.

Via Craft Beer & Brewing, I watched an hour long interview with the head brewer at Altstadt Brewery, multiple Gold Medal winners at the GABF. He said anything tighter than 3 microns would strip the flavor.

Did you send the filters back yet as planned?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 08:10:29 am »

Did you send the filters back yet as planned?

I will contact More Beer this week, and see if they will exchange the 1 micron for a 3 micron, or a 5 micron. While my experience was less than 100% successful with this attempt, I am not ready to completely abandon filtering.

narvin

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 08:54:20 am »
If gelatin cleared it up that quickly, the haze was caused by yeast.  Why a 1 micron filter didn't remove that like it should, I'm not sure. If anything a filter than fine would be prone to clogging.  Are you sure it was assembled correctly?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 09:02:59 am »
If gelatin cleared it up that quickly, the haze was caused by yeast.  Why a 1 micron filter didn't remove that like it should, I'm not sure. If anything a filter than fine would be prone to clogging.  Are you sure it was assembled correctly?

Yes, assembly was correct. The beer went through a 3 micron filter first. I did make sure to connect the "in" line to the "out" line on the keg. When I pulled a sample, it was still cloudy / hazy. Then I figured the 1 micron will clean it up. Nope! Still hazy.

I started filtering at around 5 psi. Near the end, had to bump up the pressure to 10 psi.

The filters did not clog.

Yes, after adding gelatin, this beer is brilliant clear today. After less than 2 days total time.

What is odd is that in previous filtering with a 5 mic followed by a 3 mic, the beer was always brilliant.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 09:31:34 am »
Are those filters “absolute” or “nominal” in their ratings of 3 and 1 micron?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 10:24:53 am »
Are those filters “absolute” or “nominal” in their ratings of 3 and 1 micron?

All I can find is these particular filters are 90% efficient. Perhaps I should have ordered the 99.8% efficient model.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 10:36:32 am »
I believe you ordered this one.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-filter-kit-10-canister.html

From the description: “All filters are rated nominal (will filter out 80-85% of matter at given rating).”

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 10:50:35 am »
I believe you ordered this one.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-filter-kit-10-canister.html

From the description: “All filters are rated nominal (will filter out 80-85% of matter at given rating).”

Yes, that's the one.

Spun-polypropylene filters are disposable filters and cannot be cleaned and used more than once. However, you can filter multiple kegs with one filter. 3 micron will remove most yeast, and 1 micron filtration will remove almost all yeast. All filters are rated nominal (will filter out 80-85% of matter at given rating). Temperature rated to 125°F.

Mine are 90% rated. Would a higher rating have performed better? You can get them in 99.8%.

Note the words "most" and "almost". So, I guess I removed "almost" all yeast. You either remove yeast, or you don't. Obviously, I didn't.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 10:52:11 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 10:59:22 am »

Perhaps I should have ordered the 99.8% efficient model.

Yes, definitely this.

narvin

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 11:20:48 am »
If you only have 90% yeast removal in one pass, you'd have to make 3 passes to get 99.9% removal. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 01:40:00 pm »
If you only have 90% yeast removal in one pass, you'd have to make 3 passes to get 99.9% removal.

Is it possible to run beer through the filter successive times? 2, or even 3 times? Never done that before. Never needed to.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 01:51:48 pm »

Is it possible to run beer through the filter successive times? 2, or even 3 times? Never done that before. Never needed to.
It says in the product description you can filter more than one keg. So, why not go back and forth between two kegs?