Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OK, so Bear Republic has become my new Fave brew  (Read 1548 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
OK, so Bear Republic has become my new Fave brew
« on: April 22, 2022, 06:51:29 pm »
Why you ask?  well let me tell you.  I sent an email to them hoping to get an idea on the ingredients and some info on their Racer 5 IPA.  I was not expecting much as I thought the recipes are pretty close to the cuff.  Well, boy was I wrong.  Not only did they give me their grain bill, in percentages but also gave e the hop schedule and some suggestions if things did not work out with the hops I got vs the hops they get.  It was an amazing email that I was shocked to have gotten from a company that sells beer when I am asking, basically, to get their recipe so I can copy it.  They have made a fan for life in me.  RR

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: OK, so Bear Republic has become my new Fave brew
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 07:09:16 pm »
That is awesome. I find that they’ll either give you all or nothing. Glad they gave you all.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 08:09:23 pm »
I love their beer and I love to visit the brewery even more. Need to get back out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 08:43:57 am »
Why you ask?  well let me tell you.  I sent an email to them hoping to get an idea on the ingredients and some info on their Racer 5 IPA.  I was not expecting much as I thought the recipes are pretty close to the cuff.  Well, boy was I wrong.  Not only did they give me their grain bill, in percentages but also gave e the hop schedule and some suggestions if things did not work out with the hops I got vs the hops they get.  It was an amazing email that I was shocked to have gotten from a company that sells beer when I am asking, basically, to get their recipe so I can copy it.  They have made a fan for life in me.  RR

I have never had a brewery not share a recipe. They have no reason not to.  A recipe is only a small part of the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 04:34:41 pm »

I have never had a brewery not share a recipe. They have no reason not to.  A recipe is only a small part of the beer.

And as we all now know, you cannot replicate any beer just from a recipe. There is more to beer than a recipe, and beer is more than just numbers in the BJCP guidelines.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 05:42:33 pm »

And as we all now know, you cannot replicate any beer just from a recipe. There is more to beer than a recipe, and beer is more than just numbers in the BJCP guidelines.

I get it, honestly I do.  But, for the guy to send me what he sent me was really cool.  While I know I cannot recreate the wheel, I thought what he did for somebody who he does not know, and is asking for a recipe that is his, was pretty nice.  I get that I cannot recreate it, and I am not going to try.  But what I am going to do, is to take what he gave me and try and make something out of it.  Will it be good?  Who the hell knows.  But will I try it?  You damned right I will.  Let's not look at what I was asking, but let's look at what I was given.  A cool recipe that may or may not end up on my list of things to brew.  I am very happy with what he did, I am just going to leave it at that.  RR

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 06:17:19 pm »
Exactly -- they don't have to take the time to send you sh!t. Good on 'em

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 06:22:12 pm »
Would you mind sharing with us the recipe for Racer 5?  I’m interested to see it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 12:01:27 am »
Would you mind sharing with us the recipe for Racer 5?  I’m interested to see it.

Sure, I will send you what he sent me.  Maybe amongst the group we can come up with our own twist on it.  There are a few things in his email that I was not sure about, but did not want to ask.  He went out of his way to send me what he did and I was grateful for what I got.  I will do it tomorrow night when I am at work.  Stay tuned.  And if anybody has any additions or comments to add when I post it, please feel free to jump in.  I am interested to hear and read what others think.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 12:05:01 am »
As I thought about it, would posting it here be alright?  I know he sent it to me, and I assume it is ok to share, but I also don't want to start any problems.  I will leave it up to the mods to tell me it is ok to post it.  For clarification, it is not an exact recipe, but the list of ingredients and percentages of each.  And some suggestions on alternatives to use if hops don't exactly bring in the taste that  you are looking for. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 08:10:23 am »
As I thought about it, would posting it here be alright?  I know he sent it to me, and I assume it is ok to share, but I also don't want to start any problems.  I will leave it up to the mods to tell me it is ok to post it.  For clarification, it is not an exact recipe, but the list of ingredients and percentages of each.  And some suggestions on alternatives to use if hops don't exactly bring in the taste that  you are looking for.

Sure. They sent it to you.  It's not proprietary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 10:24:54 pm »

Sure. They sent it to you.  It's not proprietary.

Perfect.  I will cut and pate the email I was sent to another post in a bit.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 08:34:19 am »

I asked 3 Floyds about one of their beers (Zombie Dust?) and got shut down. On the other hand, I asked Revolution for tips on barrel aging and got a 3 page email with tips and tricks. Both are fine, some people might feel like they've put in a lot of work to develop a recipe and not want to share it. Others might take a more "Stood on the shoulders of giants" viewpoint.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 09:11:08 am »
Ok, it is a bit long, but here is what he sent me.  Anybody who wants to offer input or suggestions on process or ingredient tweeks, that would be cool.  Have fun with it, and if Bear Republic is in your local store I would hope you might consider buying it.  This, to me, is way above and beyond what he could have done.  Without further Ado: 

Thank you for the kind words, and for supporting an independent family-owned craft brewery.

Without knowing the efficiencies of your system, I’ve written up some guidelines for a homebrew clone of Racer 5 IPA. You can scale the recipe to fit your mash efficiency, post-boil kettle volume, and volume in the fermenter.

We hand select lots of each variety of hops to hit the Bear Republic flavor and aroma, and the hops you have on hand may be different in character. That is where the art of the brewer comes in.

You may consider playing with adding a touch of Chinook in the WP or DH if your Cascades and Centennial are more citrusy than piney, or adding a touch of Citra if they are more piney than citrusy.

Similarly, you may scale back the Columbus in the dry hop if they have more than a hint of diesel or onion. I find that Bravo or Apollo can punch up the pine & citrus of a dank lot of Columbus.

Best of luck!

Racer 5 IPA Homebrew Recipe – 7.5% ABV

Target OE (Plato)

Target TE (Plato)

Mash Temp (F)

Two-Row

85%

White Wheat Malt

10%

C-15

5%

Chinook

15 BU

Cascade

15 BU

Cascade

30 BU

Cascade

WP

.17oz/gal

Centennial

WP

.08oz/gal

Cascade

DH

.23oz/gal

Columbus

DH

.17oz/gal

Centennial

DH

0.6oz/gal

Amarillo

DH

0.6oz/gal

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 09:16:33 am »

I asked 3 Floyds about one of their beers (Zombie Dust?) and got shut down. On the other hand, I asked Revolution for tips on barrel aging and got a 3 page email with tips and tricks. Both are fine, some people might feel like they've put in a lot of work to develop a recipe and not want to share it. Others might take a more "Stood on the shoulders of giants" viewpoint.

Funny thing, when I was looking for the Space Dust recipe, I found Zombie dust clone and thought that was the Space Dust.  But as I looked at it, I realized it wasn't.  There is a clone recipe out there, but the one I printed is filed in my beer book and is under a bunch of crap right now.