Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Packing it in and getting out of DC  (Read 11088 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Packing it in and getting out of DC
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2023, 10:44:51 am »
Thanks Paul.
I think I have found most of my gear. Just haven’t set up a new place to brew. My wife says I can’t use her new kitchen anymore because I make too much mess :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife was complaining the same with our kitchen.
Then I realized I was leaving stuff for her to do after brewing.
Now I take the extra time and effort to leave no trace behind,
and leave it better than I found it, no more complaints.
On mess that is, smell is still a complaint I'm working on.

Cheers
I brew in the garage

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2023, 11:23:38 am »
I was in Decatur for lunch with my son yesterday.  Keith hosted us for a tour and a few samples.  His double-bock was fantastic.  Apparently he also bar tends from time to time. 

Keith when are you bartending again? 

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2023, 11:26:54 am »
Thanks Paul.
I think I have found most of my gear. Just haven’t set up a new place to brew. My wife says I can’t use her new kitchen anymore because I make too much mess :)

I think the garage is where I am headed too.  I am debating on building a rolling rig (currently use a propane bayou burner) or buy an electric kettle. 

Cheers
I brew in the garage

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2023, 11:27:53 am »
Thanks Paul.

I think the garage is where I am headed too.  I am debating on building a rolling rig (currently use a propane bayou burner) or buy an electric kettle. 

Cheers
I brew in the garage

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2023, 11:39:37 am »
Thanks Paul.

Cheers
I brew in the garage
I like induction heating. My induction burner was about $30. It is only 1600 watt which is fine for 3 gallon batches but not 5. BrewBama has a larger induction burner, but needs a higher amp circuit.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2023, 12:17:25 pm »
Thanks Paul.

Cheers
I brew in the garage
I like induction heating. My induction burner was about $30. It is only 1600 watt which is fine for 3 gallon batches but not 5. BrewBama has a larger induction burner, but needs a higher amp circuit.
I had not thought about an induction heater.  I will have to check it out.  I was looking at adding a 220 outlet in the garage anyway, but I generally only make 1-2 gallon batches so may not need to.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2023, 01:17:12 pm »
Thanks Paul.

Cheers
I brew in the garage
I had not thought about an induction heater.  I will have to check it out.  I was looking at adding a 220 outlet in the garage anyway, but I generally only make 1-2 gallon batches so may not need to.
I do BIAB with no pumps or automation. I have a pulley and a hook in the ceiling to drain the bag. I love how simple it is.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2023, 07:36:23 pm »

I have a cheap induction burner that I use for batches up to about 2.5 gallons (my normal batch size these days is 6.5 liters into the fermenter). Runs off a regular outlet and does just fine.

I've seen the larger restaurant-sized 220V induction burners hold a vigorous boil on a 5-gallon batch.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:38:34 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2023, 06:03:14 am »
My induction burner is 220v 3.5kW. I have a switch on my drier outlet that allows me to direct power to the drier or induction cooktop. I usually boil at 1.6kW but the extra power is nice to get me to strike or boil a little quicker.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2023, 10:19:30 am »
Thanks All. 
Think I am going the 110V induction route for small boils, since that is my normal size anyway, and I don't have to do any near-term electrical work on the house.  I can always break out the bayou burner if I have some unusual need to boil a larger batch.  I have to keep it around to boil lobster and crawfish a few times a year anyway.  After living walking distance to the docks in Maine, it is hard to pay the price for lobster anywhere else.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2023, 07:35:16 pm »
Where does everyone get grain in the Huntsville area?  I hope to be up and brewing by the end middle of Feb.  I am thinking a Dry Irish Stout for my first go in the new set up (once finished).

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2023, 07:39:33 pm »
Some of the local breweries sell grain but I’ve never bought from them.

I usually order online from Great Fermentation, Atlantic Brew Supply, More Beer, Northern Brewer, etc…

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2023, 07:42:19 pm »
Thanks.  I know More Beer and Northern, but had not heard of the other two.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2023, 07:54:28 pm »
Thanks.  I know More Beer and Northern, but had not heard of the other two.
Green Bus sells ingredients. The owner will bag custom orders but I am not sure what inventory he has. I think you have to ask him. I recently bought a bag of Pils but he also will sell single recipe sizes. He also sells CO2. He sells for cost plus 10%.

Pearly’s Natural Food and Mercantile also has some ingredients. Pearly’s is not run by brewers so they may have 100 lbs of melanoidin and no base malt. They frustrate me.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2023, 05:40:36 am »
Thanks for the grain Tommy. It is happily fermenting away.
Thinking about the next batch already.