Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Competitions / Judging - North Coast Old Rasputin Clone  (Read 5203 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Competitions / Judging - North Coast Old Rasputin Clone
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2022, 08:25:09 am »

I don’t think that that particular beer “sets the standard” for the style.  If you look at the BJCP guideline’s commercial examples there are three imperial stouts listed in front of North Coast.  Try drinking some of those to compare and contrast.
I agree with ttash as well.  Many times both as a judge and as an entrant, I have had way different opinions observed and proffered.  Keep calm.

look, literally this. tbh ive never had old rasputin, but this beer was a big thing ~ 10+ years ago? frankly when i read a recipe of it, it sounds very dated. by this i mean im sure it may be a nice beer, but this is not bleeding edge imperial stout conceptualization.

you should really cool it on the winning awards thing and make a beer that you like, then see how it fits. i dont get the awwards thing, its just throwing away beer to judges who probably barely care
I get the competition thing, it's really quite fun, especially when you win. Honestly, my best and most enjoyable beers are the ones that win medals. I don't see entering comps as throwing away beer anymore than offering a beer to a friend who may not enjoy the beer as much as I do. It's only beer, no big deal. I'll make more.

Agree, 100%. Like I said, the challenge is not only the destination, it is also the journey. Our quest is to make the best beer we can. No, not all of the beers are winners (one Vienna Lager), but that's Ok as it is a learning process.

And we now know the recipe posted online (AHA / BYO) for Old Rasputin is not even in the ballpark...maybe not even in the same county!

We attended the convention this year, at the DFW Sheraton. It was a hoot! Lot's of brewers there, all of them good people.

Sitting in the crowd during the awards ceremony, having them call your brewery for 1st Place, and going up to be presented with a winner's stein is highly rewarding. Not only for me, but for our entire group who was there with my wife and myself.

The feedback is valuable. We will take all of the comments (they were correct) and use them to further improve our beers.

Old Rasputin is a fine beer. Now that I tried a bottle, it is clear to me what the judges were saying. I will bet that the beer is as good today as it was 10 years ago. This has given us a new level in brewing to aim for!

If anyone has a good suggestion on how to modify the Old Rasputin recipe to make it closer to the real thing, please let me know. Yes, brewing is a process! And our process is old fashioned, very dated, very anal in approach, but it seems to work for us...most of the time.  ;)

And the beers that scored well are very enjoyable to drink. The highest scoring beer, our "Perfect Pils II" with 42 points, did not place. 5D. It was a very good example. And it was the first one that was brewed with treated water.

I don't think you actually do know that recipe is wrong. All you know is that the beer yiu produced isn't like OR for some reason.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2022, 08:29:36 am »

I don’t think that that particular beer “sets the standard” for the style.  If you look at the BJCP guideline’s commercial examples there are three imperial stouts listed in front of North Coast.  Try drinking some of those to compare and contrast.
I agree with ttash as well.  Many times both as a judge and as an entrant, I have had way different opinions observed and proffered.  Keep calm.

look, literally this. tbh ive never had old rasputin, but this beer was a big thing ~ 10+ years ago? frankly when i read a recipe of it, it sounds very dated. by this i mean im sure it may be a nice beer, but this is not bleeding edge imperial stout conceptualization.

you should really cool it on the winning awards thing and make a beer that you like, then see how it fits. i dont get the awwards thing, its just throwing away beer to judges who probably barely care

I just had one last night. I assure you it is not "dated".

Note that the order listed for commercial examples on the BJCP website is in alphabetical order, not in order of best to worst.

I agree with Denny here. Old Rasputin is a fine example of the style, and is a very good beer. Now...if I could only brew one as good!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2022, 09:28:20 am »

Note that the order listed for commercial examples on the BJCP website is in alphabetical order, not in order of best to worst.

I agree with Denny here. Old Rasputin is a fine example of the style, and is a very good beer. Now...if I could only brew one as good!

I think that about many beers. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2022, 09:44:17 am »

I'd suggest adding more lactose for the kids but that's almost too traditional in a stout.  Maybe some marshmallow fluff?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2022, 10:10:02 am »

;D

Don't forget the glitter! Or is that passe'?

I'd suggest adding more lactose for the kids but that's almost too traditional in a stout.  Maybe some marshmallow fluff?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2022, 10:11:52 am »
Joe Formanek, a fellow club member, makes one of the best RIS recipes and has won the style category at NHC, as well as other competitions:

From the AHA recipe vault:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/four-tsarinas-and-two-tsarovichs-imperial-stout/

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2022, 10:51:10 am »
Joe Formanek, a fellow club member, makes one of the best RIS recipes and has won the style category at NHC, as well as other competitions:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/four-tsarinas-and-two-tsarovichs-imperial-stout/

Cheers!

Thanks! Looks like it is worth a shot.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2022, 10:57:42 am »

Cheers!

If it's from Joe, it will be outstanding.  He was featured in our book Homebrew All Stars.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2022, 03:07:44 pm »

Cheers!

If it's from Joe, it will be outstanding.  He was featured in our book Homebrew All Stars.

Next up is another classic German Pilsner (5D). But after that, another attempt at an Imperial Stout will be made, using this recipe.
Thank you!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2022, 04:05:19 pm »
All the thanks go to Joe.  He is a food scientist (he literally has a PhD in food science and works in the food science field for the maker of Brewtan B and other food-related products).  And he is one of the nicest and most self-effacing guy you would ever meet.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2022, 04:37:00 pm »
All the thanks go to Joe.  He is a food scientist (he literally has a PhD in food science and works in the food science field for the maker of Brewtan B and other food-related products).  And he is one of the nicest and most self-effacing guy you would ever meet.

I couldn't agree more

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2022, 04:53:45 pm »

Cheers!
+ 100. He answered my questions that he’s probably been asked a million times with grace. He definitely improved my beer.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2022, 05:30:40 pm »
All of this is awesome! If this turns out decent, it might be an entry next year.
But I told my wife..."No more competitions!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2022, 05:55:17 pm »
Any reason why you don’t want to create your own recipe?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2022, 06:38:41 pm »
I have nothing to add that hasn’t been said already but…

I also brewed a clone of OR several years ago. Maybe even the same recipe from BYO. The recipe was way off and the beer, though good, was more of a strong brown ale. Needed more toast and more hops.

IMO, particularly if you’re brewing for competition, you need to brew a recipe several times to tweak it and get it right for your tastes. And for your system.

Also, how could a RIS be a dated style? It’s literally a historic style… and Rasputin is an outstanding example. Love me some. Even bought the shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton