Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how do I use up Brown Malt (60-70L)?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
how do I use up Brown Malt (60-70L)?
« on: October 14, 2021, 06:32:47 pm »
Brown Malt (60-70 Lovibond, by Crisp UK) is an ingredient I'm rather fond of, as I brew lots of darker ales, porters, stouts, and I even put a teensy bit into saisons and ambers etc because I love it so much -- though I don't think I've ever gone above 10% (Crisp suggests up to 5%).

Problem is, a recent order I made went a bit overboard on Brown Malt (or perhaps I mixed up my quantities with Weyermann Dark Wheat, which I under-ordered, and am now out of), not extrapolating out that at this rate my Brown Malt may last me a few years.

How high percentage-wise can I reasonably go with Brown Malt and still have something drinkable?  Any favorite recipes (or styles) that might incorporate a substantial amount of it?   

Otherwise, 2022 will be the Year of the Porter in my house.  (There are worse things to fear, to be sure.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:25:18 am by ScallyWag »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: how do I use up Brown Malt (60-70L)?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 07:02:43 pm »
Normal usage is 3 to 5%. It's usually best to go with what the maltster says. Crisp says 10% max.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:06:25 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 07:24:35 pm »
Normal usage is 3 to 5%. It's usually best to go with what the maltster says. Crisp says 10% max.
I use 5-10% in Porters. Good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:30:08 pm »
I should have been more clear in my response. Thomas Fawcett recommends 3 to 5%, and that's the brand I use. 10% max is from the Crisp web site.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 07:37:48 am »
Thanks guys - I generally use 2-6% (sometimes as little as 1/2%) but the Porter I made with 10% Brown didn't show any ill effects. 

I may have to experiment, bumping it up to 13%, 16%, etc., see how high I can go... otherwise I've got a ten-year supply of this stuff.

Or maybe my best bet would be to do a really small batch at 20%, so I don't waste much if it's horrible, then go from there.  Less (or no) roast. 

btw, edited OP because I meant 2022 as Year of the Porter, not 2020.  What year is this anyway?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 07:42:04 am »
I have some mild and porter/stout recipes that use 25% to 30%. It's actually quite good at those higher levels. When it comes to Brown Malt I believe it is a case where more really can be more. There probably is a limit but I haven't pushed it more than 30%.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:32:28 am by Kevin »
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 07:45:04 am »
Thanks guys - I generally use 2-6% (sometimes as little as 1/2%) but the Porter I made with 10% Brown didn't show any ill effects. 

I may have to experiment, bumping it up to 13%, 16%, etc., see how high I can go... otherwise I've got a ten-year supply of this stuff.

Or maybe my best bet would be to do a really small batch at 20%, so I don't waste much if it's horrible, then go from there.  Less (or no) roast. 

btw, edited OP because I meant 2022 as Year of the Porter, not 2020.  What year is this anyway?

the fullers london porter recipe is something like 15% brown malt, 5% black malt.

if you tried a 20% batch to see how it is i'd be eager to hear of your results.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 09:30:28 am »
I made a porter with 19.35% brown that I really liked.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:53:16 am »
Randy Mosher in Mastering Homebrew writes that brown malt can be used up to 80% in historic porters with just enough pale malt added for conversion.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 08:56:10 am »
Randy Mosher in Mastering Homebrew writes that brown malt can be used up to 80% in historic porters with just enough pale malt added for conversion.

so i think the issue is that historic brown malt had some diastatic power. so it would have been made from undried malt and kilned or roasted from there, rather than roasting already cooked pale malt (or something i think).

so it would have been a pretty different malt entirely.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 09:27:25 am »

so i think the issue is that historic brown malt had some diastatic power. so it would have been made from undried malt and kilned or roasted from there, rather than roasting already cooked pale malt (or something i think).

so it would have been a pretty different malt entirely.
Ron Pattinson states this in his 'Home Brewers Guide To Vintage Beer' book as well that brown malt was diastatic and in the 18th century was used in up to 100 percent of the grist in porters and stouts. This changed in the 19th century according to the British history.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 05:42:52 pm by Big_Eight »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 05:31:28 am »
Here’s a good article on the subject:

https://byo.com/article/brown-malt/

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 11:26:14 am »
I have some mild and porter/stout recipes that use 25% to 30%. It's actually quite good at those higher levels. When it comes to Brown Malt I believe it is a case where more really can be more. There probably is a limit but I haven't pushed it more than 30%.
Cool, thanks!  I was thinking a Dark Mild might be a good style to experiment with using more brown.  You & Steve have made me feel better about starting higher, maybe I'll go 25% on the next try, to get a taste for high levels of it, then maybe 35%-40% after that.  Given the historical info the rest of y'all posted, I'd like to see if I could develop a recipe with 50% that would still be a good beer.  #BrownMaltChallenge, lol.

Kevin, would you feel ok about sharing any more grainbill info (either detailed or just sort of general ballpark) for the other grains in those recipes?  I'm guessing I want to keep a fair amount of that in a 2-row or other high enzymatic pale.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:29:44 am by ScallyWag »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 11:58:11 am »
There is enzymatic Brown Malt made by Sugar Creek Malt. A local place made an Entire Butt with it, which has some smoke character. Not sure if that malt is in the homebrew supply channels yet.

http://www.sugarcreekmalt.com/sugar-creek-saringinnhus-nordic-inspired-malts.html
Scroll down to bottom.

See beer number 2
https://brewerybecker.com/beer/on-tap/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »
There is enzymatic Brown Malt made by Sugar Creek Malt. A local place made an Entire Butt with it, which has some smoke character. Not sure if that malt is in the homebrew supply channels yet.

http://www.sugarcreekmalt.com/sugar-creek-saringinnhus-nordic-inspired-malts.html
Scroll down to bottom.

See beer number 2
https://brewerybecker.com/beer/on-tap/
That's really cool but while the malt shows up on the bottom I didn't see it in any of their for sale offerings. Would definitely bring some old recipes back from the dead if this was available I know I would give it a shot.