Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pbw brand new glass carboy?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Pbw brand new glass carboy?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 05:00:04 pm »
i have used glass for the first 5 years of my brewing, switched to some glass, some non-better bottle brand PET carboys, and am now using glass again.

i felt like i was getting oxidation in the PET carboys. they were widemouth type.

i should try better bottle again. everyone here says they work fine.

I think it might have been your imagination.
Nope they are permeable

I have aged beers in plastic for up to 6 months, and I can very confidently say, as can some of my fellow beer snobs who are judges and have tried these beers, that there was no hint of oxidative damage.

Plastic fermenters might have oxygen permeability that is measurable in a lab, I won't argue with that, but it is not enough to be measurable via the only equipment that matters to me, i.e. my own palate. AFAIC, reality continuous to be victorious over theory in this regard.

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 05:01:10 pm »
The problem is not during fermentation because it is putting off CO2 Its in the aging after racking when there is no CO2

Personally, I would skip the cleaning and sanitizing of a new glass carboy, and instead travel back in time and not buy one in the first place. Using a glass carboy is like holding a bomb with a lit fuse.

If you must use it, it just needs a quick rinse before sanitizing. There is no crud in it since it's new, and so there is no need for soaking with a cleaner. They are very slippery when wet, especially when PBW is involved, so be extremely careful.
I know that is why I want to skip the pbw, I have cut proof sleeve protectors and gloves I wear. You can't age in plastic I'm doing cider there is no other option

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Use LBW.  There are options for aging besides glass and plastic.  And I have made MANY batches of cider using buckets or Genesis fermenters with no problem.

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 05:03:07 pm »
I feremting cider not beer.

i have used glass for the first 5 years of my brewing, switched to some glass, some non-better bottle brand PET carboys, and am now using glass again.

i felt like i was getting oxidation in the PET carboys. they were widemouth type.

Nope they are permeable

I have aged beers in plastic for up to 6 months, and I can very confidently say, as can some of my fellow beer snobs who are judges and have tried these beers, that there was no hint of oxidative damage.

Plastic fermenters might have oxygen permeability that is measurable in a lab, I won't argue with that, but it is not enough to be measurable via the only equipment that matters to me, i.e. my own palate. AFAIC, reality continuous to be victorious over theory in this regard.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 05:15:42 pm »
The problem is not during fermentation because it is putting off CO2 Its in the aging after racking when there is no CO2

Personally, I would skip the cleaning and sanitizing of a new glass carboy, and instead travel back in time and not buy one in the first place. Using a glass carboy is like holding a bomb with a lit fuse.

If you must use it, it just needs a quick rinse before sanitizing. There is no crud in it since it's new, and so there is no need for soaking with a cleaner. They are very slippery when wet, especially when PBW is involved, so be extremely careful.
I know that is why I want to skip the pbw, I have cut proof sleeve protectors and gloves I wear. You can't age in plastic I'm doing cider there is no other option

Use LBW.  There are options for aging besides glass and plastic.  And I have made MANY batches of cider using buckets or Genesis fermenters with no problem.

I understand.  I have been making cider for 25 years, most of it in plastic fermenter.  Have you actually had a problem you can trace to HDPE fermenters?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 05:16:33 pm »

I understand.  I have been making cider for 25 years, most of it in plastic fermenter.  Have you actually had a problem you can trace to HDPE fermenters?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 05:18:02 pm »
I feremting cider not beer.

Nope they are permeable

No difference

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 05:25:42 pm »
ive only aged in glass. i have only seen PETE carboys.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 07:07:53 pm »

we should be specific. HDPE? better bottle is PET as were the ~4-6 gallon containers i used.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2021, 07:16:47 pm »
Doesn’t racking expose the cider to O2?  Or are you able to push with CO2 into a purged, sealed carboy? Oxidation is definitely a real concern, but I would think that use of kegs would be the better route, given the ease of purging.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2021, 07:54:31 pm »
No doubt a PBW soak would be a good thorough cleaning for a new car boy, but I it might be a little overkill.  I usually give them a good shake with warm water and some easy clean (or something like that), a couple rinses, Star San, good to go.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 11:25:07 am »
Doesn’t racking expose the cider to O2?  Or are you able to push with CO2 into a purged, sealed carboy? Oxidation is definitely a real concern, but I would think that use of kegs would be the better route, given the ease of purging.

I haven't found oxidation to be nearly the concern for cider as it is with beer.  Have you had a different experience?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 12:54:15 pm »
Just feedback from a club member who regularly wins cider categories in comps around here.  He had a cider get a high score in an early comp and a very low score in a subsequent comp a few weeks later - the later comp sheets mentioned oxidation problems and the entrant confirmed that he had racked out of the same sealed carboy, so in the process, he said he must have not cleared the headspace with CO2 after the first racking.  On his later tasting, he agreed with the evaluation.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online BrewBama

Pbw brand new glass carboy?
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 09:15:18 pm »
Interesting video. Why carboys fail: https://youtu.be/23P8k4AvCCw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2021, 09:29:36 am »

very fast summary:

1. temperature shock
2. damage building up over time "microfractures"
3. carrying it by the neck with a stresspoint handle

#1 and #3 seem like no-brainers to me. #2 is probably from this nu-male struggling to carry a full carboy and bouncing it off the floor. lol. soy'll d that to ya.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2021, 09:30:14 am »

very fast summary:

1. temperature shock
2. damage building up over time "microfractures"
3. carrying it by the neck with a stresspoint handle

#1 and #3 seem like no-brainers to me. #2 is probably from this nu-male struggling to carry a full carboy and bouncing it off the floor. lol. soy'll d that to ya.
Lmao lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk