Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First one down, thoughts on second  (Read 4719 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: First one down, thoughts on second
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 07:22:33 pm »
Gravity reading currently at 1.040.  I am thinking of adding the hops now, what do you guys say?  Let them sit in the fermentor for about a week and then transfer to my keg and carb and cool. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 08:30:25 am »
I couldn't wait any longer.  The hops went in loose.  I will strain it into my second bucket when ready and then transfer to the keg probably either next Friday or Saturday.  I learned a few things.  Hop bags are going to be in my future.  LOL.  But it smelled pretty good, so I am hopefull.  Thanks to all who replied, wish me luck.  LOL

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2021, 09:32:23 am »
I couldn't wait any longer.  The hops went in loose.  I will strain it into my second bucket when ready and then transfer to the keg probably either next Friday or Saturday.  I learned a few things.  Hop bags are going to be in my future.  LOL.  But it smelled pretty good, so I am hopefull.  Thanks to all who replied, wish me luck.  LOL

i tried a hopbag once, it expanded to the point of nearly bursting, and i got almost no dry hop aroma from it. i believe others here have had issues with hop bags as well. again, i was a noob at one time and im still no expert. but definitely try to be patient with beer. if the beer is still fermening then the hops can be biotransformed(i believe?) by some yeasts into other flavour compounds you might not expect/want.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:32 am »
I will strain it into my second bucket...

Be careful doing this. Take great care not to splash, agitate, or otherwise aerate the beer during transfer. It's really crucial to minimize oxygen ingress at this point, especially for an IPA.

Ideally the beer goes straight from the fermenter into the keg, but this necessitates sequestering those hop particulates so they don't clog the transfer line and/or get into the keg. This can be accomplished by either putting the hops in a bag (too late now) or cold-crashing the beer for a couple days to let all that stuff settle to the bottom of the fermenter.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2021, 09:58:25 am »
Thank you for the info.  My plan is to get a strainer and put it inside the bucket, after sanitizing of course. And let the beer run thru it and out the peatcock and into the keg.  It won't get it all.  But I hope it will get the bigger stuff. 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2021, 10:13:42 am »

i tried a hopbag once, it expanded to the point of nearly bursting, and i got almost no dry hop aroma from it. i believe others here have had issues with hop bags as well. again, i was a noob at one time and im still no expert. but definitely try to be patient with beer. if the beer is still fermening then the hops can be biotransformed(i believe?) by some yeasts into other flavour compounds you might not expect/want.

Although I don't use then any more, I used hop bags for years. Didn't find they reduced hop aroma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 01:15:04 pm »
My plan was to put a strainer in front of the spigot as it went into the keg.  The strainer I have is too small, so my next plan is to try and figure out a way to get most of the bigger stuff out during the transfer.  My thought is, I have another bucket, so I can put the strainer in the other bucket at the bottom, get the spoon I used during the boil to keep the spigot clear and just do the best I can.  I am hoping it will be ok, but who knows.  That's how I am going to learn, mistakes and oops moments.  LOL.  Thanks guys for all the help and input.  I will keep you posted. 

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 02:29:34 pm »
My plan was to put a strainer in front of the spigot as it went into the keg.  The strainer I have is too small, so my next plan is to try and figure out a way to get most of the bigger stuff out during the transfer.  My thought is, I have another bucket, so I can put the strainer in the other bucket at the bottom, get the spoon I used during the boil to keep the spigot clear and just do the best I can.  I am hoping it will be ok, but who knows.  That's how I am going to learn, mistakes and oops moments.  LOL.  Thanks guys for all the help and input.  I will keep you posted.

I would think you'd oxidize the beer doing that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2021, 08:49:01 am »
I meant in the bucket that has the beer.  Set up a screen so to speak so as the beer passed thru the screen to siphen it and then to thru the spigot and down into the keg, but the strainer I have doesn't have a long enough handle, so it isn't going to work anyway.  I will figure something out.  I learned that it might be best at this stage in the hobby to use pellets instead of whole hops.  And to maybe just buy kits right now that have everything already measured out.  But what the heck, I am still hopefull it will be ok. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2021, 05:52:44 pm »
And the learning continues.  When I put the dry hops in, about a week ago, I did not realize I was supposed to stir them in.  I opened the fermenter to start the transfer into my keg and realized the majority of the hops are floating at the top and probably had no contact with the beer.  The gravity is about the same as it was a week ago, so I am guessing fermentation has completed.  Do I stir the hops in and let it sit?  Or do I say to hell with it, since I have already sanitized everything and just go with it?  Any info from the group would be most appreciated. 

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2021, 06:12:41 pm »
You aren't really supposed to stir them in; that risks introducing oxygen into the beer. What I do is gently rock the fermenter to break up that "cap" of hops and mix them in. I do this once or twice daily for the entire dry-hop period or until the hops sink.

You probably got more extraction than you think, but yeah, it's better to mix them in continually. Just do so in a way that doesn't introduce oxygen. With this batch, I suggest letting it go two or three extra days, rocking the fermenter a couple of times a day.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2021, 06:58:42 pm »
You aren't really supposed to stir them in; that risks introducing oxygen into the beer. What I do is gently rock the fermenter to break up that "cap" of hops and mix them in. I do this once or twice daily for the entire dry-hop period or until the hops sink.

You probably got more extraction than you think, but yeah, it's better to mix them in continually. Just do so in a way that doesn't introduce oxygen. With this batch, I suggest letting it go two or three extra days, rocking the fermenter a couple of times a day.

Awesome, thank you for the reply. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2021, 10:15:48 pm »
I just lower a hop bag in containing my dry hops and a cpl marbles. The marbles weigh the bag down so it’s submerged. I don’t stir or rock.

I dry hop during active fermentation with the hope that the yeast expelling CO2 is pushing O2 away from the beer while the fermenter is open. When I seal the fermenter I ensure the airlock is active.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2021, 08:07:04 am »
I haven't found a difference in results between weighting a hop bag or not.  So I don't  bother any more.  And has been said, don't stir the dry hops in.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2021, 09:23:38 am »
Thanks to all.  If I wasn't supposed to stir, then I will chalk it off to another mistake I made on this run.  I am going to keg it today I think, put it overnight in the kegerator and then try a force carb that I want to try.  Hopefully it turns out ok.  It smelled really good, and uncarbonated did not taste bad at all, so I am hopeful.  LOL. 

Thanks to all who replied an had input, this is all very helpful as I try and get a handle on what I am doing