Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil ph vs pre boil vs flameout  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Boil ph vs pre boil vs flameout
« on: August 10, 2021, 12:40:11 pm »
Hi all,

I need some help with acid additions for a helles lager.

I have always paid attention to mash ph but I’m interested now in checkin it throughout the process, I’m a bit confused about the process, I’ve heard of letting the boil be higher in ph then dropping it at flame out, I’ve also heard about dropping the pre boil ph(which is different from mash ph?)then lowering it again in the boil, And what about the proper time to do it, would I add the acid after the final hops since they raise ph?

Any insight would help

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Boil ph vs pre boil vs flameout
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 01:37:34 pm »
If your mash is within a reasonable range, the rest of the process usually follows. You can do a pH adjustment just prior to packaging if you feel so inclined. You can also season the beer with brewing salts at that time.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 03:02:26 pm »
I've heard some brewer talking about this on Experimental Brewing.. I don't know the process they took, but I think they treated the mash as normal and after flame out made additional adjustments based on what they wanted post fermentation.. but maybe someone with a better memory than me can fill you in.. it was on one of the IPA episodes... I think with Beachwood BBQ.. but again... Don't count on my mind completely.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 06:59:42 pm »
I've heard some brewer talking about this on Experimental Brewing.. I don't know the process they took, but I think they treated the mash as normal and after flame out made additional adjustments based on what they wanted post fermentation.. but maybe someone with a better memory than me can fill you in.. it was on one of the IPA episodes... I think with Beachwood BBQ.. but again... Don't count on my mind completely.

Yeah, Beechwood Brewing.  Julian Schrago IIRC.  Fantastic beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 07:03:54 pm »
If your mash is within a reasonable range, the rest of the process usually follows. You can do a pH adjustment just prior to packaging if you feel so inclined. You can also season the beer with brewing salts at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 09:33:52 am »

Right ballpark - Beachwood Brewing, Julian Shrago. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 10:06:54 am »

For my memory, that's damn close!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 10:10:48 am »

Good enough for government work.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 10:30:00 am »

Good enough for government work.

And horseshoes and hand grenades!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 09:59:15 am »
I say this out of near total ignorance:

I know pH control is important as it speaks to the underlying chemistry of beer flavor creation and brewing efficiency.

Palmer bangs on about it at length in at least three books that I'm aware of so there's something to it in higher level brewing. And you folks sound quite knowledgeable about it.

But how much of a difference do you think it makes to the finished product? Have there been any comparisons of parallel batches with identical grain bills and processes with pH manipulation as a variable?

Could a "normal" person tell the difference?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 10:21:47 am »

I know pH control is important as it speaks to the underlying chemistry of beer flavor creation and brewing efficiency.

Palmer bangs on about it at length in at least three books that I'm aware of so there's something to it in higher level brewing. And you folks sound quite knowledgeable about it.

But how much of a difference do you think it makes to the finished product? Have there been any comparisons of parallel batches with identical grain bills and processes with pH manipulation as a variable?

My first all-grain mash used straight tap water and I got a mash efficiency of 40%. I went to my local homebrew store and after telling them my water source they recommended checking the pH and adjusting with acidulated malt. My next mash had an efficiency of 60%. After some other changes I now have a mash efficiency that is usually 80% - 85%.

You may feel mash pH in your pocketbook even if you can't taste it in your beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 10:30:21 am »

just my 2 cents which shouldnt even be worth that, but I believe IBU extraction in the boil is more efficient at a slightly elevated PH, and clarifying agents are slightly more effective at a slightly lower PH. If you are a pro, brewing a huge amount of beer, extracted a few more IBU's from using less hops and getting a 1 or 2% increase in yield due to better trub coagulation probably translates into a large amount of money and is worth it. On the homebrew scale, it just isnt worth it.
Ive tried adjusting PH throughout the process, and I didnt notice any difference except it being a bigger PITA having to take multiple PH measurements and adding acids at different points.

I now adjust my mash ph to be at about 5.2 for lighter colored beers, and about 5.5 for darker beers. In both cases my ph seems to want to drift to around 5.3-5.4.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 03:15:51 pm »

I'd say it depends. I saw a big improvement in the flavor of my stouts and porters when I started targeting a mash pH of 5.6 instead of 5.3. I added citric acid with my dry hops on my most recent IPA and it was easily my favorite heavily-late-hopped IPA I've ever brewed. These specific changes made a significant flavor impact in my brews. Other adjustments I've made have been more subtle, and I can't say for certain that Joe Beerdrinker could pick out the difference.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 03:38:20 pm »

Yes. Acid can really "brighten up" food flavors, and it does the same with beer.

This doesn't mean go and add acid to your beers, because they might already be within spec for pH. I've found that I don't have to do much for my beers to land at a perfectly acceptable pH, for example, but YMMV and it will very much depend on your source water and the particulars of your process.

But if a beer has too high a final pH, it definitely tastes bland or "flabby," and adding a little acid to it definitely brightens the flavor. Or just monitor and manipulate pH during brewing so you don't have to.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 07:05:40 am »

I suspect it's likely a matter of degree. I use BrunWater to calculate my mash and sparge additions (including acid). My first few times making these additions, I faithfully checked my pH all along the process. The mash pH results were always spot on what BW predicted, and the downstream numbers where about what I expected. After a half dozen closely monitored brews, I stopped obsessing and just trusted BW, with great results. I'm guessing that the mash/sparge adjustments deliver a close approximation of the pH results I intend, and that further adjustments may have comparatively minimal effect; sort of a diminishing returns situation. Could I marginally improve my results by chasing interim pH all across the process? Maybe, but I'm not a "super taster"; I don't think I'd be able to notice a significant difference that I could attribute to that level of pH control. So it's just not worth the effort, for me.