Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP006  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
WLP006
« on: July 16, 2021, 02:06:54 pm »
I received the White Labs Vault culture WLP006 Bedford British Ale a couple of weeks ago.  I have no idea as to why White Labs chose to release this culture during the summer, but I was on the notify list and decided to purchase it. It is allegedly the Charles Well culture.  Does anyone have experience with this culture?

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
Re: WLP006
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 02:44:06 pm »
I'm interested to hear the results. I was looking at it, as it's available at my online brewstore. i googled a bit, and saw that people recommended high oxygenation, so i passed on it.

looking forward to hearing about it

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 08:55:08 am »
IIRC, it is closely-related to S-04. I brewed with 006 once several years ago and made a nice strong bitter (called "ESB" at the time), and I wasn't a particularly good brewer then (I fermented at ambient in my closet and didn't build starters). I didn't use any dry yeast back then, as I was warned that it was all junk and hadn't wanted to risk it. That said, I am a genuine fan of S-04 as well, though I wouldn't pay extra for a liquid version. In any case, 006 is a reasonably prototypical English ale yeast, so you can probably expect it to produce beers basically similar to other English ale yeasts.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 04:25:32 pm »
If WLP006 produces a beer similar S-04, I probably will not brew with it.  I am not a fan of S-04.  It has a weird finish.

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 04:08:06 pm »
It doesn't make a beer like S-04, it's very different. No tartness, nice malt expression and mouthfeel. Light esters, more than S-04 but restrained. 

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »
That is good to know.  The description of the culture did not make it sound like an S-04 clone.  S-04 is not as attentuative. 

Offline raf

• 1st Kit
    • Michiana Extract and Grain Association (MEGA)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 02:56:29 pm »
I used it a couple years ago in a Wells Bombardier clone. It's got a unique and pleasant ester character, though it took a while to develop. I bottle-conditioned that batch. I much preferred it after nine months in the cellar than when it was young.