Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why not ferment in the Boiling Vessel?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
Why not ferment in the Boiling Vessel?
« on: July 06, 2021, 09:10:17 am »
I have been no chilling wort for the last half dozen beers and then corny fermenting the last three. I am ready to transfer cooled wort today. The thought occurred to me “Why not pitch to the covered BV and ferment then transfer to serving keg?” Basement is 66F and I have a cooling jacket to keep it there.

There is little O2 in BV. What is there will be pushed out the lid the first 24 hrs. It has been covered since 5 min before I got ready to flame out. No O2 transfer will make a nearly zero O2 exposure.

It is an 8 g MegaPot with thermometer and outlet. Easy to refractometer test a no O2 sample.
Gravity transfer to double purged keg. If it goes smoothly a couple times I could silicone gasket the lid, add some weight to the lid and make a ball lock port in the lid for capturing CO2 to purge keg.

Anyone done this before? I am sure some have. What could go wrong?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Why not ferment in the Boiling Vessel?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 09:31:10 am »
Are you forgetting about the yeast's need for O2 in the early stage of fermentation? Unless you aerate/oxygenate post boil, there'll be very little O2 in solution. You might get away with your plan using a healthy pitch of dry yeast, but not if you use liquid.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 09:36:01 am »
Excellent. I had not thought of that yet. I am about 2 hrs from pulliing the string. I have a starter ready to go with Omega Ale VIII.

I can oxygenate with bottled O2 but have not yet. Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:38:04 am by Rbalsinger »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:42:54 am »
If using dry yeast no need to aerate though. Dry yeast already has all Ergosterol needed without adding o2.

My biggest concern would be removing hops.trub -- but probably not much of a negative affect

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 09:48:26 am »
The challenges that I see: 1) you will be fermenting on the entirety of the trub. Some trub is fine, but all of it? Not sure how that final beer would taste. 2) Given that all the spent hops will be in the fermenter, you better hope that outlet doesn't clog. 3) There will be a CO2 blanket only while CO2 is being created. Once fermentation ends and that positive pressure goes away, you will get oxygen ingress, as you are not in a sealed fermenter. You'd want to monitor that gravity closely and transfer as soon as it's stable.

But overall I see no reason why this wouldn't work well.

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 09:51:27 am »
I thought about trub being as issue but I vorlauf for 15 or 20 minutes at a slow rate. I imagine it helps complete conversion and I can see almost no husk and diminished smaller particles in these worts. There is a small amount of smaller particle hops that escaped the pellet bags, but it really is just an incomplete skim on the bottom of the pot. I am a little concerned about the break being in there. I imagine it might cause some hazing. Does the protein impact flavor?

I am about 2 hours from deciding on trying this.

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:51:59 am »
I remove the bags of hops before cooling.

I imagine I would transfer with about .06 gravity points to go.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:53:32 am by Rbalsinger »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 09:55:09 am »
I first heard of fermenting in the kettle 25 years ago.  The great Jeff Renner was doing it.  Since then I've heard many others doing it.  Go right ahead.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 09:56:39 am »
I know there is nothing that hasn't been thought of, forgotten and rediscovered many times. It still is fun and entertaining juggling all the variables.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:59:31 am by Rbalsinger »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 10:48:42 am »
I know there is nothing that hasn't been thought of, forgotten and rediscovered many times. It still is fun and entertaining juggling all the variables.

Indeed.  I said that to let you know the theory has been tried and found successful.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 10:50:51 am »

Indeed.  I said that to let you know the theory has been tried and found successful.

And I thank you for that and all the other efforts you have made over the years.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 12:43:29 pm »
Anvil had a special gasket that it sold with its 10 gallon boil kettle to allow for fermenting in the kettle (airlock on a grommetted hole in the lid).  I did it a couple times without incident, but have not really made it a steady practice.  It turned out fine, by the way.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 01:03:08 pm »
Anvil had a special gasket that it sold with its 10 gallon boil kettle to allow for fermenting in the kettle (airlock on a grommetted hole in the lid).  I did it a couple times without incident, but have not really made it a steady practice.  It turned out fine, by the way.

Good to hear. Thanks. For the beers I make, I think it will be fine too. I pitched a few minutes ago. I will report here as we go.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 01:17:14 pm »

Seems like the downside would be waiting to brew until your kettle is free again.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Rbalsinger

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 01:40:18 pm »
Seems like the downside would be waiting to brew until your kettle is free again.

True that. I would transfer with .06 to go to the serving keg) My beers get there in about 6 or 7 days. That would work for me.