Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 18L Ginger Beer in Carboys?  (Read 713 times)

Offline Stoleyourtv

• 1st Kit
18L Ginger Beer in Carboys?
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:50:59 pm »
Hey folks!
I've just recently gotten myself all I need to do some ginger beer and spruce beer. I was wondering how long I can keep my ginger beer in my glass carboys before I bottle em. I know that after a while I would lose the carbonation so a second fermentation would be needed while bottling. Main reason I want to keep the ginger beer fermenting as long as possible is because I dont have the right amount of swingtop bottes/capped bottles to cover that 18L which I hope will last me the summer.

So, TL;DR: Dont have enough swingtop bottles to bottle all my ginger beer, how long can I ferment it? Am I better off just making ginger wine?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: 18L Ginger Beer in Carboys?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:01:40 am »
With good sanitation, several months to nearly indefinitely.

Offline Stoleyourtv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:07:24 am »
With good sanitation, several months to nearly indefinitely.
Thanks for the response. It'll carbonate with a second fermentation and keep it's sweetness with a non-caloric sweetener, correct?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 04:52:55 pm »
Thanks for the response. It'll carbonate with a second fermentation and keep it's sweetness with a non-caloric sweetener, correct?

I would say a non-fermentable sugar, which includes caloric sweeteners like lactose and non-caloric sweeteners like rebaudioside and aspartame.