Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brewing an American Lager from this hop list which seems best?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline brutusbird

• 1st Kit
Oh start with malt 6lbs williams lager extract, 1lbs pilsnerDME, 1/2lbs dextrin. standard 60 min boil with hop additions at 60min and 5min. Plan on using wyeast american lager yeast 2035 pc. I am going to be on the high edge of this yeast so I am ready for comments on what might handle a slightly higher temp. This might be my last chance to do a true lager this season. ok now for the hops.
please give input on what you would use for boil or finish.
Cascade, Delta, Chinook, mosaic, Wai-iti, saaz, Hallertau, Lemondrop, Fuggles, and mullennium. That covers my freezer. I only want to use two and not drive my IBU's over 20.
Thank You

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: brewing an American Lager from this hop list which seems best?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:11:57 pm »
For hop choice, I'd probably lean towards Hallertau from that list. For an American Lager, you might have better luck with WY2007 (reportedly Budweiser's yeast strain). It stays pretty clean at warmer temps in my experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 02:50:53 am »
Can I ask a sideways question. I have just bottled a pseudo lager made with MJ Cali lager yeast, and I used Crystal and Hersbrucker hops. It's much more like a pale ale, going by the sample taste. I rarely brew lagers, this is for a mate, who will be disappointed! I'm thinking the crystal hops have caused the biggest deviation, as the M54 yeast has made much more lager like beers for me and mates who have used it.

Do crystal hops have no place in a lager?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:01:47 am »
Crystal is a pretty solid American noble-type hop in my experience. But it's still an American hop so is going to be more assertive and probably fresher than something imported. The hop flavor will mellow with time. Give it a 3-6 weeks of cold conditioning and see how it tastes.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 07:38:55 am »
+1 on the crystal -- it's kind of my go-to hop for a lot of lager styles because I really like it's character. But Hallertau is a littlke more mild. Lemondrop is nice from the couple times I experimented with it.

No need to add that 1/2lb of dextrine malt in there. Extract beers tend to underattenuate sometimes and all the dextrine malt will do is add to that underattenuation. For extract beers it's often better to substitute out a bit of plain ol' table or corn sugar for some of the malt to dry the beer out as opposed to the dextrine malt which will just add more body and "sweetness".

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 08:12:44 am »
For a light hopped American Lager, and the presumption of ~5.5 gallons to the fermenter, you might want to try:

10 grams of Millennium, boiled for 60 minutes
7 grams of Cascade, boiled for 20 minutes
14 grams of Saaz, also boiled for 20 minutes

Cascade and Saaz play well together in my opinion.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 08:38:21 am »
For a light hopped American Lager, and the presumption of ~5.5 gallons to the fermenter, you might want to try:

10 grams of Millennium, boiled for 60 minutes
7 grams of Cascade, boiled for 20 minutes
14 grams of Saaz, also boiled for 20 minutes

Cascade and Saaz play well together in my opinion.

Is it really possible to suggest amounts without knowing AA?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 09:00:42 am »
Can I ask a sideways question. I have just bottled a pseudo lager made with MJ Cali lager yeast, and I used Crystal and Hersbrucker hops. It's much more like a pale ale, going by the sample taste. I rarely brew lagers, this is for a mate, who will be disappointed! I'm thinking the crystal hops have caused the biggest deviation, as the M54 yeast has made much more lager like beers for me and mates who have used it.

This is a very subjective, of course. I just tapped a cream ale made with only crystal hops. First time using this hop. It has rather expressive citrus and tropical-fruit notes, no spice or herbal. Great for a pale or blonde ale, but IMO this hop wouldn't work well in an American or any other type of lager, unless you like fruity lagers (which I don't).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 09:24:11 am »

This is a very subjective, of course. I just tapped a cream ale made with only crystal hops. First time using this hop. It has rather expressive citrus and tropical-fruit notes, no spice or herbal. Great for a pale or blonde ale, but IMO this hop wouldn't work well in an American or any other type of lager, unless you like fruity lagers (which I don't).

I get a touch more citrus than with noble hops but not as expressive as what you are getting. Obviously it depends on how heavy of a hand you use. If you use a lot of hallertauer you will be surprised to see they can have a citrus component too. It also depends on the hop grower.

I have won a few awards with a Kölch that uses crystal. Obviously that is already a touch more fruity than a lager but it's not like I threw in Amarillo. ;)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 09:34:06 am »
I agree using a lot of Euro noble hops in good condition can give a lot of fruity flavors. I wonder if people are just used to muted flavors in the hops and beers made with the hops due to degradation during shipping?

I thought this was interesting as well: https://brulosophy.com/2019/01/03/the-hop-chronicles-german-tettnanger-2017/

The top three aromas were apple/pear, tropical fruit, and citrus.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:54:59 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 12:10:51 pm »

I ballparked Millennium at 12.4, Cascade at 6.5, and Saaz at 3.  But I'm not convinced that it really matters, and particularly more so with pellet hops, because I'm of the opinion that all current IBU calculation math models are de-Facto useless when applied to pellets.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 12:21:56 pm »

I ballparked Millennium at 12.4, Cascade at 6.5, and Saaz at 3.  But I'm not convinced that it really matters, and particularly more so with pellet hops, because I'm of the opinion that all current IBU calculation math models are de-Facto useless when applied to pellets.

I find the mIBU calculations pretty accurate for pellets, at least by my tastebuds. Hope to get some beers analyzed soon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 01:02:56 pm »
@clibit - what was the timing of the Crystal addition(s) in your beer?

I have gotten citrus out of a lot of noble and "noblish" hops when used late in larger amounts. Sterling gets that way, and I take advantage of that when I choose to, but I have also picked up citrus from Crystal and German Tettnang from late additions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 01:11:01 pm »
I find the mIBU calculations pretty accurate for pellets, at least by my tastebuds. Hope to get some beers analyzed soon.

Chemistry Professor Christopher S. Hamilton, Ph.D, Hillsdale College gave a presentation titled "The Effect of Temperature and Alpha-Acid Concentration on Hop Utilization in Wort" at the EBC Hop Symposium in Nuremberg, Germany, in September of 2018.  His presentation indicates that pellet hop utilization is realized much more quickly within the boil than for whole hops.  Essentially he showed that after only about 30 to 40 minutes of boiling, a pellet hop will have delivered to the Wort as many IBU's as for a whole leaf type hop of the same AA after 60 to 90 minutes of boiling.  This is a dramatic difference that no current publicly available math model accounts for.

He might be a great interview for 'Experimental Brewing'.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:05:17 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 01:45:26 pm »
I make a good number of American Lagers although I am not trying to brew "bland beer" or any specific American Lager.  I'm trying to make a gold lager, around 5%, SRM 4-5 and IBUs around 20 or so.  Hallertau would be my choice of the hops listed and I would bitter to 18-20 IBUs and then add maybe a ½ ounce with 5 minutes left.  2035 is an American Lager strain (Yuengling's strain, IIRC) and it will make a nice beer.  For mine I typically use 2124 or 940 which means my American Lager uses German hops and either German/Czech yeast or Mexican yeast.  I do use pilsner malt either from Europe or the US and I also use about 10% corn. 

Also, I'll say it again one more time for the west coast:  Within reason, fresher hops that are not appropriate are better than stale and appropriate hops.  I wouldn't want to sub with fresh Amarillo or Citra in an American Lager (although some do) but if you had Liberty, Mt. Hood, Edelweiss, fresh Saaz or Spalt, Sterling, etc. they should make the beer better because they're fresher. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.