Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: We need your questions!  (Read 5556 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
We need your questions!
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:28:32 am »
The next episode of Experimental Brewing is an all Q&A show and we need questions!  Send your questions about anything (beer, ukulele, chihuahuas) to podcast@experimentalbrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: We need your questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 03:19:00 pm »
What is this extract twang I keep reading about but never actually experience in my beer?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 04:32:41 pm »
Okay, here's just a couple honest questions:

Do hundreds of millions of people love the aroma (and presumbly the taste) of cat pee?

Is cuhumulone worth consideration?

Why do many treat yeast selection like an afterthought instead of perhaps the most important ingredient of all?

What are your favorite yeast strain discoveries lately that you haven't used in a long time or never used before?  Same question for malt?  (I don't really give a rat about hops, dammit!  ;D )

Does Carapils truly do anything useful?  And oats, same question?  How do results compare with a reasonable addition of say ~15% wheat or rye?

Is rye actually spicy, in a blind tasting?  Do different brands actually make a huge difference?  (More experiments are needed!)

Has anybody ever tasted a kveik "lager" that actually tasted like a lager?

When will Fermentis stop telling people to use S-33 for Belgian styles?

If mash temperatures are in a goldilocks zone of say 145 to 160 F, how much do temperature variations in the mash really matter?

Does mash temperature matter as much as mash TIME?

How much do fermentation temperature fluctuations really matter to the average non-finicky yeast?

When diacetyl is in fact detected, is a standard 3-day d rest really long enough, or does it sometimes take much longer, and if so, when and why?

Are the results of LODO brewing worth the hassle for the average joe, or only for special joes?

What's Gary Glass up to these days?  (I sincerely wish him well!!!)

When will Denny and Drew get out of the house again?  Anytime this year?  What's the escape velocity of each?  (I kid... slightly... ;) )

What's the next big thing(s) going to be around the beer world (styles, trends, ingredients, methods)?

What are your peeves with respect to styles, trends, ingredients, methods, AHA forum members who ask a lot of questions, etc.?

Hope these spark some thoughts in somebody.  If so, I invite you to break out a separate thread here and let's discuss -- I will guess that Denny and Drew might not take the time to answer every single one of these in one or two episodes.... but it would be super cool if they did.  ;D

Sincerest cheers to you all.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:46:54 pm »
Okay, here's just a couple honest questions:

Do hundreds of millions of people love the aroma (and presumbly the taste) of cat pee?

Is cuhumulone worth consideration?

Why do many treat yeast selection like an afterthought instead of perhaps the most important ingredient of all?

What are your favorite yeast strain discoveries lately that you haven't used in a long time or never used before?  Same question for malt?  (I don't really give a rat about hops, dammit!  ;D )

Does Carapils truly do anything useful?  And oats, same question?  How do results compare with a reasonable addition of say ~15% wheat or rye?

Is rye actually spicy, in a blind tasting?  Do different brands actually make a huge difference?  (More experiments are needed!)

Has anybody ever tasted a kveik "lager" that actually tasted like a lager?

When will Fermentis stop telling people to use S-33 for Belgian styles?

If mash temperatures are in a goldilocks zone of say 145 to 160 F, how much do temperature variations in the mash really matter?

Does mash temperature matter as much as mash TIME?

How much do fermentation temperature fluctuations really matter to the average non-finicky yeast?

When diacetyl is in fact detected, is a standard 3-day d rest really long enough, or does it sometimes take much longer, and if so, when and why?

Are the results of LODO brewing worth the hassle for the average joe, or only for special joes?

What's Gary Glass up to these days?  (I sincerely wish him well!!!)

When will Denny and Drew get out of the house again?  Anytime this year?  What's the escape velocity of each?  (I kid... slightly... ;) )

What's the next big thing(s) going to be around the beer world (styles, trends, ingredients, methods)?

What are your peeves with respect to styles, trends, ingredients, methods, AHA forum members who ask a lot of questions, etc.?

Hope these spark some thoughts in somebody.  If so, I invite you to break out a separate thread here and let's discuss -- I will guess that Denny and Drew might not take the time to answer every single one of these in one or two episodes.... but it would be super cool if they did.  ;D

Sincerest cheers to you all.  :)

I'd love to adress every one of those, Dave.  If not on the podcast, with a reply here.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 06:11:20 pm »
I think Gary opened a brewery, if I saw correctly on the Facebooks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:16:50 pm »

He works for one, but I don't think he opened one.  Maybe things have changed since I talked to him a while ago.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

We need your questions!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 06:35:23 am »

He works for one, but I don't think he opened one.  Maybe things have changed since I talked to him a while ago.
Either way, glad he stuck the landing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 08:50:54 am »

Wouldn't that be a question to ones who brew(ed) with this method? If I am not mistaken Denny and Drew do not currently and/or have not partaken in such endeavour. If they do/did, and I missed it I would love to read about it.

If not, isn't that kind of like asking my gardener if my blood work looks good?
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 09:27:26 am »

Wouldn't that be a question to ones who brew(ed) with this method? If I am not mistaken Denny and Drew do not currently and/or have not partaken in such endeavour. If they do/did, and I missed it I would love to read about it.

If we were speaking to the efficacy of it, I'd agree.  But the hassle factor can be assessed without getting into the efficacy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 09:32:35 am »

If we were speaking to the efficacy of it, I'd agree.  But the hassle factor can be assessed without getting into the efficacy.

Going to have to disagree here. How would you know the hassle if you have not tried it?

For example, I have never fly sparged. How could I give a fair assessment on the hassle factor of it? It would be purley pontification.

As far as efficacy, LODO is just a term coined by some homebrewers. What they call LODO, the professionals (Kunze, Back, Narziss, Bamforth, Fix) just call brewing. I don't think there needs to even be a debate by some folks who brew in their driveways (me included of course) without the proper credentials, seems like a pointless waste of time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:36:56 am by hmbrw4life »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 10:02:50 am »

Going to have to disagree here. How would you know the hassle if you have not tried it?

For example, I have never fly sparged. How could I give a fair assessment on the hassle factor of it? It would be purley pontification.

As far as efficacy, LODO is just a term coined by some homebrewers. What they call LODO, the professionals (Kunze, Back, Narziss, Bamforth, Fix) just call brewing. I don't think there needs to even be a debate by some folks who brew in their driveways (me included of course) without the proper credentials, seems like a pointless waste of time.

I can read about the method and decide if I want to incorporate the steps.  I dont care about what "professionals" do unless it fits what I want to get out of homebrewing.  There is a difference in the goals of commercial brewers and the reason I homebrew.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 10:09:00 am »
I have an additional question to add to my list above.

Is it possible for the uneducated to question LODO without a derail?  If not, why not?

But this is of course rhetorical, and I would beg everyone, please do not answer.  Sorry I brought this up.  I can edit my previous post if it helps, offer stands.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 10:19:54 am »

I can read about the method and decide if I want to incorporate the steps.  I dont care about what "professionals" do unless it fits what I want to get out of homebrewing.  There is a difference in the goals of commercial brewers and the reason I homebrew.

That's sort of my point. Most certainly you can, and you will. As did I with fly sparging. However, doesn't make a person an authority on the subject, having never done it.

I drive over bridges to make my life easier, but I certainly can't build them or discuss why a mid-span brace is needed or pointless.

I'm not sure why you are quoting professionals, are you saying my references listed are not indeed professionals? Or professionals in a broader sense of homebrewers who filled out government paperwork properly to sell beer commercially, are deemed as professionals as well?

But to address the topic of you not caring of brewing professional methods and procedures. You are certainly, infact with 100% certainty, allowed to do whatever you would like in your brewing (hell and life for that matter). However (and another GIANT however), it doesn't deem the methods or procedures any less sound and taught worldwide in brewing and in science. I just want that to be clear, since you know that is the beauty of science. It's there whether you believe it or not.

Cheers

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 10:25:31 am »
I have an additional question to add to my list above.

Is it possible for the uneducated to question LODO without a derail?  If not, why not?

But this is of course rhetorical, and I would beg everyone, please do not answer.  Sorry I brought this up.  I can edit my previous post if it helps, offer stands.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Much like the political partisanship of our current country, this subject brings forth the same thing for the homebrew community.

If you didn't want to fan the flames, you wouldn't have typed that post though.  ;)

So it seems whatever side of the isle you are on, you are guilty in the others eyes. 

For the record I am not a "LODO" brewer. I just make beer I enjoy using process's I picked up that make the beer I enjoy better and more enjoyable. Which I think, is why I(we) do it. It's really as complicated as that. I love knowledge and information, but I am also not biased in where it comes from.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:29:11 am by hmbrw4life »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 10:35:14 am »
For the record I am not a "LODO" brewer. I just make beer I enjoy using process's I picked up that make the beer I enjoy better and more enjoyable. Which I think, is why I(we) do it. It's really as complicated as that. I love knowledge and information, but I am also not biased in where it comes from.

Cheers to you man.  I myself am educated and always seeking knowledge, but I'll admit that for me myself, there is a limit to where I quit exploring topics that don't interest me.  I'm lazy, and can be stubborn.  Hell, I'm human.  But I'm all for knowledge, and if you are seeking knowledge, then more power to ya.

:)
Dave