Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: unusual british beer styles? white ale, brett etc  (Read 2189 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
unusual british beer styles? white ale, brett etc
« on: April 24, 2021, 11:23:45 am »
does anyone have any british (or really, england, scotland, wales and ireland) beer styles that they'd like to share or even just mention the name of to get my thought process going. obviously beyond best bitter/ESB/porter/stout/strong pale ale/mild, unless you know of a lesser known variant of one of these.

I'm also looking to improve my british hop taste. im thinking of combining 75% EKG with 25% of a berry/stone fruity hop to try to get something like what i remember of the impossible to find bramling cross.

devon white ale (minus the eggs). what yeast? i want to try cloudy white ales with different yeasts for one.

also hoping someday to really pay homage to tradition and use brett in a big old ale that i can let sit for a long time.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: unusual british beer styles? white ale, brett etc
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 01:26:36 pm »
Have you tried target or progress hops?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 03:05:02 pm »
Have you ever looked at http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/?m=1 ?
It has plenty of English variants.

If you do a web search you can find Brambling Cross Hops. Austin homebrew and AiH have it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 05:24:05 pm »
A newer style is the English Golden Ale, which is gaining in popularity, for something different.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

unusual british beer styles? white ale, brett etc
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:21:43 pm »
I watched a few YouTube videos of Brit Homebrewers to get some ideas. Most spoke of HomeBrew Beer by Greg Hughes many referred to as ‘The Bible’ and CAMRA’s Essential Home Brewing among other references. I have found many interesting recipes and cross reference tables in these books. In fact, I have a Summer Ale on deck I got from ’The Bible’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 04:45:13 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 09:15:47 am »
Ron Pattinson's blog; Shut Up About Barclay Perkins is definitely a must stop on your journey. He is currently in the middle of a write up of AK beers which fits into your search for lesser known beer styles. Ron writes every day unlike many other bloggers so be prepared to read a lot. http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/

The other must read is Martyn Cornell's Zythophile blog. Not as prolific as Ron but just as likely to turn up something interesting. http://zythophile.co.uk/
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 09:22:52 am »
It's not really out there or anything, but Old Peculier is kind of its own thing in my mind. I see it called an old ale, but it is neither aged nor very high gravity. I've tried brewing a clone in the past, but it wasn't quite close enough. I think yeast choice would play a big role in this one, but I'm not sure what is available that would get you close.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 04:30:20 pm »
thanks everyone

from my local online HBS i dont have access to target or progress. i havent tried too many british hops beyond fuggles and EKG, though i have used EKG a LOT. i was always under the (likely wrong) impression that most british hops were created for value/agricultural reasons rather with taste as a secondary consideration so never tried them much.

i do have challenger hops. im thinking of mixing EKG with mosaic and another thing.

i have read a lot of barclay perkins, but its not the most navigable site, and while he does have a lot of recipes, i find a lot are very similar and very historically accurate from industrial brewers ie. 99.95% pale malt 0.05% caramel colour, etc. ive taken into consideration his thoughts on original style imperial stouts as being fair bit brown malt, small amount black malt and thats it for grist.

i might try to seek out bramling hops from other sites but i try to keep it to canadian homebrew sites so i dont have to pay excessive postage fees or border fees, but who knows.

marstons 61 deep is a nu-english golden ale i enjoy. i wish i had access to more marstons stuff like they used to bring in.

that zythophile blog looks great for beer fun facts and stuff.

looking at an old peculier recipe just now and based on what i've seen looking at a lot of recipes, i think the issue is a lot like how homebrewers were trying to formulate belgian brews with kitchen sink malt recipes and fancy sugars.

a lot of british brews are made with a very small amount of malt types ie. a good, solid base malt, a crystal malt between 50 to 80Lov., and various roasted malts we are all familiar with ie. chocolate/roasted barley/black malt and sugar/syrup. meaning the key difference between beers is in the actual yeast, mash methods, and with british brews compared to belgian especially, hopping.

so, im aiming to get the west yorkshire yeast this year at some point and try it out.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 04:44:30 pm »
...to get the west yorkshire yeast this year at some point and try it out.

I think you’ll be pleased

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 07:16:55 pm »
...to get the west yorkshire yeast this year at some point and try it out.

I think you’ll be pleased

is the WLP028 any good? any other recommended british yeast strains?

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 07:23:08 pm »
I love west yorkshire

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 08:25:46 pm »

looking at an old peculier recipe just now and based on what i've seen looking at a lot of recipes, i think the issue is a lot like how homebrewers were trying to formulate belgian brews with kitchen sink malt recipes and fancy sugars.

Years ago I was PM'd the recipe below on a forum that isn't around any more when I was asking about OP. The guy who sent it to me allegedly got it from a brewer from Theakston when he lectured at his brewing school. I don't always believe these stories, but the recipe looks reasonable to me based on other British ale recipes I've seen.

Pale ale malt - 71%
Crystal malt (does not specify which) - 3%
Torrified wheat - 7%
Sucrose - 18%
DD Williamson Caramel Syrup - 1%'

30 IBU from magnum hops
Late hops with fuggle ( does not specify what time to add)

Sulphate - 400 mg/l
chloride - 200 mg/l
calcium - 170 mg/l
alkalinity - 25

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 08:43:05 pm »

Years ago I was PM'd the recipe below on a forum that isn't around any more when I was asking about OP. The guy who sent it to me allegedly got it from a brewer from Theakston when he lectured at his brewing school. I don't always believe these stories, but the recipe looks reasonable to me based on other British ale recipes I've seen.

Pale ale malt - 71%
Crystal malt (does not specify which) - 3%
Torrified wheat - 7%
Sucrose - 18%
DD Williamson Caramel Syrup - 1%'

30 IBU from magnum hops
Late hops with fuggle ( does not specify what time to add)

Sulphate - 400 mg/l
chloride - 200 mg/l
calcium - 170 mg/l
alkalinity - 25

nice, ive not had old peculier before, but recipes i saw recommended 1469 or chimay yeast. ive got some chimay yeast homebrew sitting around now and i can imagine this. the caramel syrup is likely just for colour and interchangeable with 1% black malt or something too.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 10:06:41 am »

is the WLP028 any good? any other recommended british yeast strains?

I use WLP028 frequently, for Scottish ales and for stouts. I like it a lot.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 10:22:52 am »
The unusual English Ale style I intend to brew this year is Ebulon. I intend to make it in September when elderberries are ripe and plentiful and age it until mid winter.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.