Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strange Brew Idea?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Strange Brew Idea?
« on: April 12, 2021, 05:08:37 pm »
I don't know where this idea is headed but it might be the delete button.

35% Red X
35% 2 Row
30% Flaked Rice
Magnum @ 75 & 60
Celeia @ 15/10/5/0
Denny's 1450 fermented wherever it plateaus
OG 1.051
IBU's 34
SRM 8.5
60 min @ 148
75 min boil

Water: 53 Ca
           32 Sodium
           47 CaSo4
           75 Cl
           0 Alk

Thoughts/Criticisms welcome!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Strange Brew Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 07:19:54 pm »
I have the ingredients for a 100 percent red x and cascade cryohop SMASH using Denny's favorite.

Taking a break from my brewing classic styles project

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:09 pm »
I think it will work, although I have a hard time picturing a rice-heavy brew as an ale instead of a lager. I think I'd want a crisp lager finish in a beer like this. That said, I don't have much experience with 1450 so I can't really picture how that would work here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 07:33:28 pm »
I think it will work, although I have a hard time picturing a rice-heavy brew as an ale instead of a lager. I think I'd want a crisp lager finish in a beer like this. That said, I don't have much experience with 1450 so I can't really picture how that would work here.

I was thinking that also when putting this idea to paper. If I use a lager yeast I have OYL106 fermenting now and I should probably just cone to cone the yeast.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 05:30:09 am »

Rice works really well in ales, but I think it's a little dependent on the yeast. I make a summer beer using a grain bill from my American lager. I add enough Citra, Mosaic or Idaho 7 in the whirlpool to get to 12-15 IBU and ferment with Voss yeast at 95F. No hops in the boil. The Voss yeast adds a crispness to the beer which works really well with the fruity hops. The rice keeps it light and crushable. Rice can be a really nice addition as longs as it fits the beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:53:29 am »
Do you have a goal in mind?  I start with that and work backwards.  Also, when you say "wherever it plateaus" I hope you aren't referring to temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:48:10 am »
Do you have a goal in mind?  I start with that and work backwards.  Also, when you say "wherever it plateaus" I hope you aren't referring to temp.

Yes I am. My basement is 53* so my thought is it will not go higher than the mid 70’s. If it does I will have my glycol attached and set to kick on. What are your experiences with higher temps on 1450?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:12:40 am »

Yes I am. My basement is 53* so my thought is it will not go higher than the mid 70’s. If it does I will have my glycol attached and set to kick on. What are your experiences with higher temps on 1450?

I didn't care for the ester profile the few times it went higher, so I don't have a lot of experience with it.  After that, I just kept it cool.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:26:02 am »

I didn't care for the ester profile the few times it went higher, so I don't have a lot of experience with it.  After that, I just kept it cool.

Thanks for the feedback Denny.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 02:01:24 pm »

Bayou Teche Brewing does a "Kölsch-Style Ale" with Pilsner and Rice.  It's pretty good, to my palate anyway.  AFIAK, I've never met Red-X in person; so I don't know how it'd interact with rice.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:42 pm »

Rice works really well in ales, but I think it's a little dependent on the yeast. I make a summer beer using a grain bill from my American lager. I add enough Citra, Mosaic or Idaho 7 in the whirlpool to get to 12-15 IBU and ferment with Voss yeast at 95F. No hops in the boil. The Voss yeast adds a crispness to the beer which works really well with the fruity hops. The rice keeps it light and crushable. Rice can be a really nice addition as longs as it fits the beer.
A few years ago in the course of writing an article about using forms of rice that don't need a cereal mash I brewed a Muntons nut brown ale kit that I substituted brown rice syrup in place of the sugar called for. It turned out pretty good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women