Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Putting back on airlock  (Read 2567 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
Putting back on airlock
« on: March 30, 2021, 07:59:47 am »
I had to use my blow off tube for the first time.  Today I just put back on the airlock. The gromit got stuck onto the blowoff tube. Talk about nerve-racking working fast to fix the gromit onto the bucket lid. I feel like I’ll be fine it was maybe 2 minutes tops. With how many times I had to fight with that gromit I just hop the beer is okey so far smells and looks okey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Putting back on airlock
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:03:35 am »
I don't see any problem. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:06:21 am »
I leave a blowoff tube on from start to finish. No need to change air locks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:07:53 am »

I saw on line that it’s good to put the airlock back after all the crazy fermentation is done. Next brew I’ll start and end with it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:08:02 am »

When I used blowoffs, my practice was the same.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 08:08:33 am »

I saw on line that it’s good to put the airlock back after all the crazy fermentation is done. Next brew I’ll start and end with it.

I can't imagine what the difference would be.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 08:10:08 am »
I don't see any problem.
I am guessing that as well being how many times I see people Open there fermenters every few days for   Hydrometer testing and take pictures of it. I never had a brew where I had to use a blow off tube. My first time making and pale ale I mostly do stouts they never get crazy

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 08:12:18 am »

They didn’t go into why so I couldn’t tell you.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 08:28:23 am »
An airlock is an airlock, whether a plastic bubbler or a hose stuck in a jar. I see no advantage to changing near the end.

If you’re going to open your fermenter do it while there’s still yeast activity so the yeast can cleanup any O2 you’ve introduced.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 08:34:24 am »
An airlock is an airlock, whether a plastic bubbler or a hose stuck in a jar. I see no advantage to changing near the end.

If you’re going to open your fermenter do it while there’s still yeast activity so the yeast can cleanup any O2 you’ve introduced.

Thank you for the advice I’m still learning so way the soak up any information I can Weather it be reading podcast Online forms social media I just want to get really good at Homebrewing

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 08:36:55 am »
If you got a lot of Krausen into the blow off, then I would replace it with a clean air lock when fermentation settled down.  Maybe that's unnecessary and I'm just being too anal, but I would prefer the clean air lock in this situation.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 08:43:20 am »

Thank you for the advice I’m still learning so way the soak up any information I can Weather it be reading podcast Online forms social media I just want to get really good at Homebrewing

I have had to replace an airlock because fermentation got going so greatly that it clogged and popped it out.  I just replaced it with a blow off tube in those situations, using the bottom of a 3 piece airlock connected to blow off tubing, so the grommet didn't need to get changed out.  I never thought to switch it back to airlock later and never had problems with the resulting beers.

To the OP - to become a better brewer, just keep on brewing.  Temperature control measures were one of my first improvements to my process and lead eventually to focusing on lager beer brewing - I never have explosive fermentations with those lower temperature ranges now, even when it goes gangbusters and finishes fermenting within a week.

Cheers and good luck with your brewing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 08:51:11 am »

i've left it on for a month here in canada with no issue, but in korea, using tapwater, i would get a layer of slime and cloudy water after 3 weeks or so without changing the water container the blowoff tube was laying in. i can assume it was something in the tap water, maybe airborne? but to avoid this i guess use bottled or distilled water.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 08:58:12 am »
I always used sanitizer for the blow off or airlock, occasionally some old cheap vodka.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 09:03:46 am »

They didn’t go into why so I couldn’t tell you.

My guess is that they didn't go into why because there is no reason.  Functionally there is no difference.

www.dennybrew.com