Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No LHBS anymore. What's happening in your area?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
No LHBS anymore. What's happening in your area?
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:53:05 am »
In the last year, Evansville, Indiana, a city of about 120,000 in SW Indiana, has lost two stores that carried basic brewing supplies and equipment.  Now we're pretty much dependent on internet ordering.  Some of the local microbreweries will sell you a full sack of base malt on occasion, but if you need just a few ounces of crystal or an extra packet of yeast you're probably out of luck.

If you can plan ahead and stick to your plan, you can get some decent prices on the internet provided you meet minimum purchase requirements for free shipping.  My problem is I enjoy reading the latest issues of Zymurgy and Brew Your Own;  they are always full of articles that stimulate ideas for new brews that, of course, are guaranteed to include ingredients I don't have in my inventory.

Do I then bite the bullet and pay shipping for small purchase amount, or wait until I can meet the minimum purchase amount for free shipping?

Am I the "Lone Ranger" here, are do some of you occasionally have this problem?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:56:12 am by Lazy Ant Brewing »
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: No LHBS anymore. What's happening in your area?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 09:21:55 am »
I’ve never had a good LHBS near by.  The only one that was close (it’s gone now) was only good for hops and dry yeast, but I stayed clear of the shelf that had their shady looking “grain in plastic buckets”.
I source 90% of my grain direct from an excellent PA malt house and can only justify the cost of shipping by ordering far more than I really want to buy.  I’ll get my other 10% of grains, yeast, hops and miscellany from More Beer.

So that make me a plan ahead brewer, usually 6 beers in advance.  (6 brew days for me, is 4 months of brewing.)  I will always order extra base malt and one extra pack of yeast - usually BRY97 - in case something pops up and I can piece together another beer with my inventory.  But if I want to brew something and I’m not sitting on the right ingredients, it just has to wait until the next time I order.  Doing it this way certainly limits what I can brew so I take my time deciding what it is I want on tap.  But the positive side to this approach is that I’ve really slimmed down my useless inventory...no more pounds of strange grains and countless bags of hops lying around.  I have found planning ahead to be the best change I have made for increasing my brew house efficiency.   :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 09:31:13 am »
We have a mediocre one that has been in business since I began brewing in the mid 90's (and actually long before that). It's a health food store with homebrew and wine ingredients on the side actually.

Every other one that opens is usually closed within a year. And there have been three since about 1996 aside from the afore mentioned.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:51 am »
In the past several years we have had two in the area stop selling homebrew supplies. One was a beer and wine store that had a small selection of grains, yeast and a few extract kits while the other was a brew pub that had kits behind the checkout counter. No big loss in either of those. At the same time two local homebrewers opened a dedicated store. There is another that just opened in a neighboring town about 40 minutes away. Both have anything I could ever want or need so I guess we are pretty lucky.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 09:59:38 am »
I am a "plan ahead" brewer as well. I usually line up 10 or so recipes and then source the ingredients online, usually via Morebeer. I live very close to Morebeer's NorCal location and I always get orders within a day or two of placing them (in non-pandemic times).

But I also maintain a large inventory of an assortment of grains, hops, yeast, etc. I like having the freedom to brew what I want when I want, and I brew often enough that I'm constantly rotating the inventory. Partly this mindset originated because my local LHBS, which is only about 2 miles away, is frequently out of stock on even the most basic of ingredients, and it's always more expensive than Morebeer. So I started stocking up on ingredients bought online in order to always have what I need when I need it. My LHBS is just too unreliable for how I brew.

You don't need to plan too much. You only need to reach $59 to get the free shipping. This is only a couple batches worth. Then you can tack on those small amounts.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 11:43:07 am »
My closest LHBS is open weird hours and the guy who runs it is still giving outdated advice and just kinda rubs me the wrong way. Years ago when I mentioned that I was brewing 3 gallon BIAB, he told me that when I was ready to "get serious" about brewing that he'd set me up with a 5 or 10 gallon fly sparge outfit. At that point I probably had about 100 batches under my belt, so that comment went right up my ass.

I always have a few batches planned out, but I may change my mind on a whim. I keep enough grain on hand so I could whip out just about anything that doesn't involve a large amount of a specific base malt. I keep enough hops on hand to run a small homebrew shop, and I have a couple packets of all my usual yeast strains.

I typically use MoreBeer as my "LHBS". When I place an order I make sure I spend enough for free shipping and I usually get a few extra 10 pound bags of base malt. I do keep an eye out for sales on sacks of grain at various online shops, and I'll buy something I'll get a lot of use out of if the price with shipping makes sense. I only brew 3 gallons about once a month, so I try to balance the "ooh that sounds cool" urge with "when will I actually use that".

I'm also lucky that my local hardware store has a homebrewing section. It's not perfect - dry yeast and hops are stored at room temperature, but it's nice if I need an extra pound of grain, or I just ran out of StarSan, or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 12:05:14 pm »
I pre plan 4 or 5 brews ahead and order the grains and yeast for all of them to make the free shipping threshold. I keep a good variety of hops on hand, so usually only order once a year unless I find a deal I can't refuse or just need an ounce or 2 of something I seldom use. If I find a recipe that I really want to try, I just put it in line for the next order.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 12:05:56 pm »
We 're very lucky that in a relatively small metro area we have 2 shops.  One is just OK, the other is amazing in terms of stock of ingredients and equipment.  The owner and employees are intelligent and well versed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 12:20:21 pm »
The closest two shops to me are both 90 minutes away one-way. I do mail order except for the rare occasion when I'm near one of them for another reason.
Aren't there some shops in Indiana that are close enough to make shipping cost reasonable?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 01:00:24 pm »
In Chittenden County, Vermont (Burlington area) I have two, although one has a website that went away so might be on it's way out.  The one I primarily use has been around for decades, is very very small, and the shop could use an update.  They are smart business-wise by carrying a very good but not exhaustive inventory of supplies and ingredients, keep their overhead low by having reasonable rent, and move a lot of ingredients so stuff is fresh.  We are fortunate- the "buy local" ethos is very strong in this neck of the woods.  If you have a shop that you like well enough to keep around- make sure that you support it.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 01:00:39 pm »
There are 2 near me in a 15-20 mile radius. One is filthy as filthy can be so I don't use him. The other guy has a well stocked store for adjuncts, dry yeast or other small items but I always have to order 55lb sacks of grain which is not a problem for me. LD Carlson is a short drive for him so I usually get my orders within a weeks time. I have become friends with the head brewer and the owner of a brewery 15 minutes from me and I can always grab something from them in a pinch. I always take some samples for them to try when we visit for an evening out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 01:38:27 pm »
in case it's helpful for anyone, here's mine...https://www.homefermenter.com/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
No LHBS anymore. What's happening in your area?
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 01:39:06 pm »
We have a mediocre one that has been in business since I began brewing in the mid 90's (and actually long before that). It's a health food store with homebrew and wine ingredients on the side actually.

Every other one that opens is usually closed within a year. And there have been three since about 1996 aside from the afore mentioned.
+1. I recall the crazy lady that used to run it yrs ago. The new lady is a lot more down to earth. They seemed to stock up a while back but the inventory is thin again (as of a cpl weeks ago). Though I couldn’t tell by the lack of inventory, I asked if they are planning to continue to have the HomeBrew corner of the store and they said they were. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:47:05 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 02:14:32 pm »
I've whined enough in the past about our last LHBS closing 2 years ago.   :( ::)

I've basically made a retailer in the Omaha, NE area my "Local" supplier.  It's about 2-2.5 hours each way.  I make a big run once a year and if I happen to be in Omaha for some family thing I can stop and pickup smaller stuff.  Online gets me yeasts and gee-wiz type stuff when I need it.  You can make it work.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 06:51:31 pm »
I am spoiled. I have always had a good LHBS within a thirty-minute drive or less.