Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Oatmeal
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:56:13 am »
Oatmeal question...

Never used it before. In a high gravity beer, how much would be appropriate?

Will oatmeal provide more body, and better mouthfeel characteristics? Does it impact flavor?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 06:18:06 am »
I have tried adding oatmeal many times.  In honesty, it doesn't do much of anything for the final beer flavor or body.  It mostly just mucks up the mash and makes it very difficult to run off, sometimes anyway, and depending on how much is used.  I made a witbier with 50% oatmeal last year, which turned out to be a great beer when finished, but due to complications with the mash, and lack of any real benefit in the final beer, I told myself I won't be using oats never ever again.  The finished beer doesn't taste oaty or have improved body or anything like that.  It's just a normal witbier.  I'd rather have just used wheat malt, way easier.  If memory serves, the head retention wasn't even all that great, if anything, worse than anticipated.  Some say this occurs due to oils in the oats, and I am leaning towards believing it.

But don't just take my word for it, or anyone else's.  If you are interested in trying oats, try using a good high percentage, like 25-40% or something like that, and find out for yourself what you think.

Cheers. 
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 06:26:33 am »
Dave -

Thanks. I think you have made good points. And my experimentation with oats is on indefinite hold.
Sounds like any benefit is out weighed by associated complications.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 07:15:45 am »
They are mostly flavorless. I do think they add some body and seems like they add haze to beers like NEIPA. As Dave alluded to, they seem to lighten the flavor of beer rather than provide anything significant. But that might be what you want.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 07:29:12 am »
They can add a nice element to darker beers if they are toasted in the oven.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 07:32:48 am »
I was reading a book that had a 100 percent oats grainbill, but I'm not sure in what form I'll have to pick it up tonight and re read it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:49:20 am »
I was reading a book that had a 100 percent oats grainbill, but I'm not sure in what form I'll have to pick it up tonight and re read it.

My guess would be flaked oats so you don't have to do a cereal mash.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:52:44 am »
You may be correct, it looked interesting I would not mind trying a small batch. Maybe with some belgium candy syrup? Idk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 08:14:29 am »

Doubt that, it would have to be malted oats. Reg oats have no enzymes.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 08:32:36 am »

But unless you have base malt or the oats are malt3d, it wpuldnt work anyway.  At the very least, you'd have to add enzymes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 08:44:38 am »
It was this book

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:30 am »
Oats purportedly add body to a beer due to its high amount of beta-glucan sugars. I'm with dmtaylor, however. I'm not convinced they work as advertised in terms of adding body. They do add haze in even small amounts.

In my oatmeal stout I use Quaker quick oats for 10% of the grain bill. Never had a stuck mash. In my brewery, using oats is no more complicated than any other grain. But I do have doubts about the benefits. I can see 50% oats in a mash being a problem though.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:52:57 am »
It was this book

Again, most likely malted oats. But the guy on the cover is obviously drunk so if he wrote it who knows.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 10:15:49 am »
It was this book

Again, most likely malted oats. But the guy on the cover is obviously drunk so if he wrote it who knows.
He might just be really tired

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 10:27:29 am »
Oats purportedly add body to a beer due to its high amount of beta-glucan sugars. I'm with dmtaylor, however. I'm not convinced they work as advertised in terms of adding body. They do add haze in even small amounts.

In my oatmeal stout I use Quaker quick oats for 10% of the grain bill. Never had a stuck mash. In my brewery, using oats is no more complicated than any other grain. But I do have doubts about the benefits. I can see 50% oats in a mash being a problem though.

Agree with you both.  Haven't found them to add either body or foam.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell