Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?  (Read 6087 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2021, 05:24:10 am »
I brew great gruits, they always turn out really tasty and interesting, yet I can't say I've ever tasted anything else like it anywhere else.  I use restraint to ensure the finished product still tastes like beer and not an herb bomb.

Can't say I've ever had good roggenbier or a Swedish Gotlandsdricke either, before I brewed these last year.  Both turned out awesome.  Next time I'll use even more juniper berries in the Gotlandsdricke because I discovered the flavor is much milder than I anticipated.  Like gruit, I used restraint, but discovered this was NOT necessary for juniper berries.

Anybody else brewed any of these styles, ever?  My guess is [radio silence].
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2021, 06:14:49 am »
I brew great gruits, they always turn out really tasty and interesting, yet I can't say I've ever tasted anything else like it anywhere else.  I use restraint to ensure the finished product still tastes like beer and not an herb bomb.

Can't say I've ever had good roggenbier or a Swedish Gotlandsdricke either, before I brewed these last year.  Both turned out awesome.  Next time I'll use even more juniper berries in the Gotlandsdricke because I discovered the flavor is much milder than I anticipated.  Like gruit, I used restraint, but discovered this was NOT necessary for juniper berries.

I made a Stjordol last year using traditional alder smoked sainhuss malt last year. Got the malt from Sugar Creek, it was fantastic. Planning on making it again soon, but my wife tells me a 7-8 %ABV smoked beer isn't a "summer beer", whatever that means.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 06:54:25 am »
I would say my favorite style is a Czech Lager and lagers in general. I can find a few offerings in bottles which I avoid because Ive been skunked one too many times. Wish I could get in cans but haven't seen any near me. Aldi's sells some german pilsners that are damn tasty and for a fair price.  So, to the point, I brew a Czech Lager that is pretty friggin awesome. I try to keep 3-4 kegs in rotation but for some reason find that difficult because I have friends and neighbors who seem to think its awesome too.

I agree, Czech lagers are among the best. Anywhere in the Czech Republic great beer is easy to find. Not so much here. We have purchased 1/4 bbl kegs of Pilsner Urquell, part of the SAB family now, and the beer is excellent. I do not buy it in bottles as that is a crap shoot.

Brewing your own is the best way to go. In addition to my beers, we sometimes keep one, maybe two kegs of commercial beer on tap.

I would very much like to get ahold of 1/4 bbl. I did not know you could get them. The hunt is on!!

Very easy to get, as it is owned and imported by Miller Brewing - SAB/Miller. Any keg retailer can get one for you.
They are the tall 1/4 bbl kegs, not the short, large diameter size.

When ABInbev bought SABMiller, the EU made them divest PU. Asahi is the owner.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2021, 09:14:15 am »
Potsdamer Stangenbier - made it last fall.  Really flavorful.  It was featured in BYO a while back:

https://byo.com/recipe/potsdamer-stangenbier/

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2021, 10:57:13 am »

ding ding this is the answer. now these are universally very hard to find styles. i wanted to do a gruit for so long, but was always worried about ending up with an infected, failure beer.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2021, 11:52:41 am »
I brew a white IPA at least once a year, because it's hard to find on shelves in our area, and none of the readily available examples fit the hop/yeast/lower-abv combo that most appeals to me. And I do an American amber ale at least once or twice annually, because that too has effectively vanished. (I see the discussion up above in this thread about how amber ales are bland, and I can see that viewpoint, but it's also a style I just find incredibly drinkable when I want something that's a step up from a blonde ale and a step down from an IPA).
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2021, 10:09:50 pm »
One beer that I brew occasionally is a Baltic Porter.  I can't find Baltika #6 anywhere near me so I brew the style.  Mine always comes out pretty well.

Baltika #6 is one of my Top 5 all-time favorite commercial beers.  There used to be an eastern Europe source in Wisconsin Dells where I would pick some up about once per year but that place changed owners years ago, now I can't find it anymore.  I would love to see your recipe, if it's anything close.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:11:23 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:00 am »
basically anything it turns out. i know theres some other ontarians here but it is getting worse and worse steadily here. i wanted to try something new or exciting to get my brewing thoughts going. i passed some smaller LCBOs and went to the one i knew as big and well stocked in the past. its been really bad over the past few months. look at the state of it now:

hobgoblin is mediocre IMHO. the rest are pale lagers, then a single 6pack of leffe and some chimay blue (not in the mood for, and its $4.30 per 330ml).

basically the soviet union. the other wall is the canadian microbreweries which are widely awful and overpriced (imports are cheaper prices than the "set" minimum of ~$3.25 for canadian tallboys - wow very smart move to make people buy canadian) and it wasnt too well stocked either.

i brew out of necessity, there are simply very few options out there. the supermarkets do sell beer but all of it has to go through the LCBO or beerstore because there are never any different brands and the prices are again, set.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2021, 10:25:36 am »
Wasn't there a hobgoblin at one time that wasn't an IPA I seem to recall?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2021, 10:49:47 am »
One beer that I brew occasionally is a Baltic Porter.  I can't find Baltika #6 anywhere near me so I brew the style.  Mine always comes out pretty well.

Baltika #6 is one of my Top 5 all-time favorite commercial beers.  There used to be an eastern Europe source in Wisconsin Dells where I would pick some up about once per year but that place changed owners years ago, now I can't find it anymore.  I would love to see your recipe, if it's anything close.

I'll post the recipe and/or send it to you when I get home, Dave.  I don't have it on my laptop in FL.  I think it is pretty close to the Real McCoy  Leaving Thursday and will probably be home probably late Friday depending on how I feel after getting the second Moderna shot.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2021, 12:01:58 pm »

The Hobgoblin I am familiar with is brewed at Wychwood Brewery. It’s a “Strong Dark Ale” described as "full bodied and well balanced with a chocolate toffee malt flavour, moderate bitterness and a distinctive fruity character with a ruby red glow". The style guideline uses it as an example of a British Brown Ale.

There are a few HomeBrew renditions floating around the internet. My favorite is the Dave Stratton recipe via Cutter’s Choice YouTube channel. Malt Miller has a very similar recipe. https://youtu.be/VokL_3MmLwY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:10:03 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2021, 04:11:00 pm »

The Hobgoblin I am familiar with is brewed at Wychwood Brewery. It’s a “Strong Dark Ale” described as "full bodied and well balanced with a chocolate toffee malt flavour, moderate bitterness and a distinctive fruity character with a ruby red glow". The style guideline uses it as an example of a British Brown Ale.

There are a few HomeBrew renditions floating around the internet. My favorite is the Dave Stratton recipe via Cutter’s Choice YouTube channel. Malt Miller has a very similar recipe. https://youtu.be/VokL_3MmLwY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's the one. I used to like to get one of those and a skull splitter

Offline cjfrye

• 1st Kit
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 12:21:52 pm »
I've experimented a few times with gruits, and I'm about halfway through Lars Garshol's book on Historical Brewing Techniques. But I started brewing when I fell in love with Guiness and I couldn't find it in Ohio (rather some time ago). Today, I mainly brew Belgian Abbey styles, sometimes crossed with bitters. The beer I need to start brewing is Orval ― my local stores appear to have stopped carrying it sometime last year.

Cal
On tap: Cluj Abbey Dubbel, and another of the same (Belgian Pale on deck).

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 01:41:54 pm »
I don't brew them regularly, but two of my favorites recipes are for Belgian brut, and a dry hopped American adjunct lager. Those don't have many (if any) commercial examples.

I want to figure out how to make a good Kellerbier, I don't have anything like that near me anymore. It seems like German and Belgian styles in general have been supplanted by domestic craft beer at my local liquor stores, and with the rise of seltzer pushing craft beer out it feels like 2005 all over again.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2021, 05:26:49 pm »

I'll post the recipe and/or send it to you when I get home, Dave.  I don't have it on my laptop in FL.  I think it is pretty close to the Real McCoy  Leaving Thursday and will probably be home probably late Friday depending on how I feel after getting the second Moderna shot.

Goose,

Please post this online if you can.

I'm always on the lookout for a good Baltic Porter recipe.
Ralph R.