Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?  (Read 6085 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 01:23:46 pm »
Once in a while I brew a good ol' American Amber, the kind that was very popular in the mid-90s. Great style that these days doesn't get the love it deserves.
Hmmm I might disagree with you there. Amber ale was probably the blandest of all styles, even worse than blonde or American wheat. I think there's a pretty darn good reason why that style all but disappeared. I'm sure the same can be said for black IPA (a style, like you and Amber ales, I appreciate).
Jesse

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 01:33:13 pm »
I would say my favorite style is a Czech Lager and lagers in general. I can find a few offerings in bottles which I avoid because Ive been skunked one too many times. Wish I could get in cans but haven't seen any near me. Aldi's sells some german pilsners that are damn tasty and for a fair price.  So, to the point, I brew a Czech Lager that is pretty friggin awesome. I try to keep 3-4 kegs in rotation but for some reason find that difficult because I have friends and neighbors who seem to think its awesome too.

Offline ulander6206

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 01:47:10 pm »
Like yourself I tend to brew beers that are not commercially available. We brew roggenbier, alt and ordinary bitter. We also brew a rye saison for the summer. There are so many IPA's, etc. that we don't need to compete with such commercially available beer.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 02:26:00 pm »
Thanks to Denny and beersk for the yeast suggestions, I've not experimented with a lot of different kinds.  And for beersk, I make oatmeal stout and porter with flaked oats quite frequently.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 02:39:06 pm »
Thanks to Denny and beersk for the yeast suggestions, I've not experimented with a lot of different kinds.  And for beersk, I make oatmeal stout and porter with flaked oats quite frequently.
Great. I've got one ready to tap this Friday with 1084, stoked about it. I toasted the oats for 25 minutes at 325F also. Adds a nice dimension I think.
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 02:52:59 pm »
I’m going to say that every beer we brew is a favorite, and most often not available locally. Like stated above, some of the Euro-Lagers we make are available, but freshness is the big issue.

That’s the primary reason I started brewing in 1990, as the beer I wanted was not available. Today many more beers are on the store shelf, but check those pull-dates!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 02:53:48 pm »
Also come to think of it, when my favorite brewery in PA and oktoberfest venue that was headed by Carol Stoudt announced they were calling it quits. That really got me into home brewing. Stoudts brewery had a killer oktoberfest the food the beer the music the venue it was just plain awesome

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 02:55:45 pm »
We like to brew with garbage which was hard to find
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 03:07:36 pm »
We like to brew with garbage which was hard to find
Whatch you talkin' 'bout, Willis?
Jesse

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 03:20:01 pm »
When I go to the bottle shop I am often surrounded by a lot of beer I would never buy... over-the-top IPAs, Belgians, gimmicky beers, etc.  So many of my batches are meant to fill that void:  German styles that I feel are better than what I can get here because the ones in the stores are usually aged.  Mine are clearly not "better" but they are good and they are "fresher".  Middle of the road pale ales... like APAs.  Hard to find in a bottle shop.  Dark lagers along the lines of Mexico's INDIO which I don't think is available here.  Think 5%, SRM 15 or so and IBUs of maybe 20.  Yuengling when I'm in the mood for it.  Can't get it in Illinois.  There is an Amber Lager by Live Oak in Austin called Big Bark.  Can't get it here so I asked the brewer for the recipe and he obliged.
Good call on Live Oak.  They are not easy to find outside of Austin.  I love Primis, their weizenbock which tastes better on tap than the couple of six packs I’ve managed to run across when I was in that part of the country.   Asking for their recipe is on my to-do list
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 03:20:58 pm »
For a long time, I was primarily a British-style bitter brewer.  There are very few good examples of British bitter in the United States.  Landlord is amazing if one is lucky enough to get relatively fresh bottle, but most of what is stocked on shelves is old.  Add the fact that American home and craft brewing has moved away from British ale toward newer American styles, and it is darn difficult to get a good draft bitter in the United States.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 03:23:05 pm »
Also come to think of it, when my favorite brewery in PA and oktoberfest venue that was headed by Carol Stoudt announced they were calling it quits. That really got me into home brewing. Stoudts brewery had a killer oktoberfest the food the beer the music the venue it was just plain awesome

The Stoudt brewery made amazing lagers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 04:04:24 pm »
Great. I've got one ready to tap this Friday with 1084, stoked about it. I toasted the oats for 25 minutes at 325F also. Adds a nice dimension I think.

Have you ever gotten diacetyl or a pineapple ester from 1084?  That's why I stopped using it long ago, but I'm not ruling out something I did.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 04:11:22 pm »

The Stoudt brewery made amazing lagers.
Yes they did, my poor better half has carried me through that parking lot a few times lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 04:37:57 pm »
It’s definitely British pale ales such as bitters and IPAs for me. I love them and can’t get fresh good ones. They are also just particularly great on tap.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.