Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another example of a simple beer WOWing me...  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Another example of a simple beer WOWing me...
« on: March 08, 2021, 01:03:33 pm »
I made this beer on 12/15 so it's been lagering for 2+ months.  This is a beer that might occupy some ground between helles and pilsner.  I used about 80% Best Malz Pils, 20% Weyermann Barke Vienna and then 4 ounces of Copper Malt because I like what it does.  Then about 20 IBUs of Edelweiss to bitter and another ounce at 5 minutes.  838 for the yeast.  Hoppier than a helles but not as much as a pilsner.  The 838 is giving it some Munich-like character.  The clarity is there but not "perfect" yet and the head formation and stability is excellent.  I was painting in the basement on Saturday afternoon and you always drink beer when you paint... this is the word of the Lord.  I was marveling at how well this beer came out with its dry, crisp and hoppy finish and great balance.  It's very simple and it might bore some beer drinkers but this is the kind of beer I have wanted to brew since I started brewing.  Okay, so it took 21+ years.  :D  Pics will follow eventually. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Another example of a simple beer WOWing me...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 05:35:24 am »
Simple, balanced yet flavorful, characterful and interesting beers are not the easiest to pull off but I'm sure you have come to see that in 21 yrs of brewing lol. I brew heavy on both sides of the spectrum. I like to brew Lagers and Lighter Ales and then I like to brew lots of English Styles...Ambers, Browns, Porters, Stouts. The middle ground Pale Ales, IPA's...etc are probably what I struggle with the most to brew. Not that I can't brew them or they aren't enjoyable, I just can't get exactly what I am looking to do with those styles...they never quite wow me and that's ok, there's so many out there it's easy just to pick up whatever I have a taste for off the shelf in regards to those styles.

Back to the simple beers, I brew a Yuengling Clone and I just starting drinking that, it's just over 3 weeks old, tasting nice but a couple more weeks and it should peak. This is the type of beer I like when I just want a regular kind of beer. I would like to narrow down a nice Cream Ale, a Classic or Pre-Prohibition Style American Style Pilsner, then maybe dabble with more German Lager Styles.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:29:31 am »
  I was painting in the basement on Saturday afternoon and you always drink beer when you paint... this is the word of the Lord.

Drinking and painting may be the word of the Lord, but in my book it also can be a recipe for a disastrous paint job.   ;D

Glad the beer came out so good!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:53:40 am »
  I was painting in the basement on Saturday afternoon and you always drink beer when you paint... this is the word of the Lord.

Drinking and painting may be the word of the Lord, but in my book it also can be a recipe for a disastrous paint job.   ;D

Glad the beer came out so good!
I find this to be true when I've had too much coffee!  :D  In the old days I would paint the spot where the wall meets the ceiling freehand thinking that I possessed some kind of painting sorcery.  Now I use the painters tape as a safety net so BEER ME!   :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:55:41 am »
Simple, balanced yet flavorful, characterful and interesting beers are not the easiest to pull off but I'm sure you have come to see that in 21 yrs of brewing lol. I brew heavy on both sides of the spectrum. I like to brew Lagers and Lighter Ales and then I like to brew lots of English Styles...Ambers, Browns, Porters, Stouts. The middle ground Pale Ales, IPA's...etc are probably what I struggle with the most to brew. Not that I can't brew them or they aren't enjoyable, I just can't get exactly what I am looking to do with those styles...they never quite wow me and that's ok, there's so many out there it's easy just to pick up whatever I have a taste for off the shelf in regards to those styles.

Back to the simple beers, I brew a Yuengling Clone and I just starting drinking that, it's just over 3 weeks old, tasting nice but a couple more weeks and it should peak. This is the type of beer I like when I just want a regular kind of beer. I would like to narrow down a nice Cream Ale, a Classic or Pre-Prohibition Style American Style Pilsner, then maybe dabble with more German Lager Styles.
I have tried my hand at a Yuengling clone and was generally happy with it.  Care to share the recipe you used?  I do not have Cluster or Cascade in the house at the moment... or 2035 if that's what you used.  I seem to remember pale malt, corn, C60, Cluster and Cascade (can't remember the sequence) and 2035 getting darn close. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:26:08 am »
Simple beer can be great.  Complex beers can also be great.  It lies in the skill of the brewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:33:30 am »
Simple beer can be great.  Complex beers can also be great.  It lies in the skill of the brewer.
I'll go a step further and say recipe has relatively little effect on quality - quality is mainly related to the skill of the brewer (arguably).

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 08:52:13 am »
I might be a good example of someone who was able to make [what I consider to be] a great beer and there was some luck involved.  I didn't do anything that was different although this WAS the first time using Edelweiss hops.  It can happen randomly and sometimes the stars align.  I always said that the key is to make what you consider to be great beer consistently, every time and that does not happen for me.  I'm rarely disappointed in my beer but that's different than hitting a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th every batch.  This one happened to be really nice and also in a style that I really like.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 12:02:23 pm »
Back in 2013 Annie Johnson won home brewer of the year with a two grain, one hop beer.
It was inspiration for one of the first articles I ever had published.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:26:04 pm »
Back in 2013 Annie Johnson won home brewer of the year with a two grain, one hop beer.
There you go.  The longer I brew the more I like "simple". 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 12:49:32 pm »
There you go.  The longer I brew the more I like "simple".

I like it right.  I appreciate simplicity in many things, but recipe design is one I can go either way on.  A complicated recipe is fine if that's what it takes to achieve your goal.  Just don't needlessly complicate it.  Use what you need and be sure there's reason for every ingredient.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:47:53 pm by dbeechum »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
Just don't needlessly complicate it.  Use what you need and be sure there's reason for every ingredient.

And so many people find that too damn hard to do. If nothing else when I tell people that "simpler is better" what I'm really hoping for is for people to stop and think for more than 2 nanoseconds when they decide to put that extra malt in their mash.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 03:39:39 pm »
Just don't needlessly complicate it.  Use what you need and be sure there's reason for every ingredient.

And so many people find that too damn hard to do. If nothing else when I tell people that "simpler is better" what I'm really hoping for is for people to stop and think for more than 2 nanoseconds when they decide to put that extra malt in their mash.
And it is far better to err on the side of simplicity than complexity. It's easy to tell if something is missing, and it's usually easy to fix. It's far harder to sort through a muddy beer to determine exactly what turned it to mud in the first place.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 04:04:27 pm »

And it is far better to err on the side of simplicity than complexity. It's easy to tell if something is missing, and it's usually easy to fix. It's far harder to sort through a muddy beer to determine exactly what turned it to mud in the first place.

That's exactly the way to approach it

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 05:04:43 pm »
I feel like there is a glut of malts out there.  I try to stay on top of things and experiment but that leads to partial bags of leftover Victory, Abbey Malt, CaraBohemian, Flaked this or that, CaraPumpernickel, pale chocolate, biscuit malt, Carastan, honey malt, double-roasted crystal, CaraSchputz®, Beechwood Smoked malt and the list goes on.  Way too many specialty grains and the same ones produced by multiple places.  CaraVienne and CaraRuby are apparently the same malt made by different maltsters.  I try to keep my inventory as simple as possible... Pilsner, 2-row, maybe Maris Otter or Golden Promise, Vienna, Munich, Wheat, a handful of specialties like CaraMunich or CaraVienne, CaraHell, Carafa, some crystal malts like C40 and C60. 
Ken from Chicago.