Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barleywine  (Read 5409 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 10:11:50 am »
Look up the reiterative posts by Klickitat Jim. He used to do it quite a bit for high gravity beers. Basically laid out the process from what I remember.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 02:12:18 pm »
As this is a new experience, I will split a 5 gallon batch with a friend.

Would light Munich Malt fit in the grain bill?

Here is what we have so far:

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 02:21:26 pm »
I agree with the others on trying to get another mash tun. I make 5 gallons of Barleywine every year and it maxes out my mash tun around 25 lbs. Also, like someone else mentioned that your efficiency can go down. My usual efficiency is 75-80% and my efficiency for my Barleywine is around 65%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 04:12:03 pm »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

What OG are you targeting, and are you brewing an American BW or English BW? I'd use caution with Crystal malt in a big beer, especially in an English BW where the hops are less prominent. You can end up with something cloying sweet if you're not careful.

For Am BW I'd keep it under a pound of Crystal malt for 5 gallons, for English I'd skip it altogether and just use a flavorful base malt like GP or MO. A bit of Munich would be fine in either style, but I'd use a relatively light hand since there is so much malt backbone to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 04:57:08 pm »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

What OG are you targeting, and are you brewing an American BW or English BW? I'd use caution with Crystal malt in a big beer, especially in an English BW where the hops are less prominent. You can end up with something cloying sweet if you're not careful.

For Am BW I'd keep it under a pound of Crystal malt for 5 gallons, for English I'd skip it altogether and just use a flavorful base malt like GP or MO. A bit of Munich would be fine in either style, but I'd use a relatively light hand since there is so much malt backbone to begin with.

Target OG 1.107.
This will be an English style, no dry hopping.

The grain bill calls for:
1 1/4 lbs Carastan 34L
1 lb Special B
2 lbs clover honey

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 05:09:44 pm »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

Target OG 1.107.

1 1/4 lbs Carastan 34L
1 lb Special B
2 lbs clover honey
That would be too much Special B for me. A little bit goes a long way with Special B in my experience.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 05:30:00 pm »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

Target OG 1.107.

1 1/4 lbs Carastan 34L
1 lb Special B
2 lbs clover honey
That would be too much Special B for me. A little bit goes a long way with Special B in my experience.

1 pound is too much in a total 24 lb grain bill?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 05:40:40 pm »

And how.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 05:41:46 pm »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

Target OG 1.107.

1 1/4 lbs Carastan 34L
1 lb Special B
2 lbs clover honey

With the Carastan it would be up to 9% of the grain bill. For my taste that could end up too sweet. Also, Special B can have a strong raisin flavor. That is just my taste and opinion and you might like the recipe just fine. I don’t make English Barleywines, but rather American Barleywine which is typically hopped at a higher rate. I tend to keep the Crystal malts at around 5% of grain bill and sometimes I have added none and used Munich malt.

Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 03:48:12 am »
Regarding Special B, a half pound in a 5-gallon batch is plenty even for a style like Belgian Dubbel, where it is providing a large part of the characteristic flavor of the brew. If it's just a supporting note, even 1/2 pound can be overdoing it (as I matter of fact I have an Amber on tap right now where this was too much Special B for my tastes).

And while brewers often think about how much of a malt to use as a percentage of the grist, that may work as a generalization for most styles in a typical gravity range, but that doesn't quite scale up the same way in really big beers. There are other factors to consider in a very high gravity brew. Attenuation and residual sweetness are much bigger concerns in these styles. A well-attenuated English barleywine using 100% base malt is already going to be a bit sweet without any C-malt. In these cases I prefer to use the typical amount (by weight) you'd use in a particular batch size, rather than going by percentage of the grist.

This is probably a crappy analogy, but say I have a soup recipe that I like. I want to make a heartier version of it, so I double the amount of meat and veggies I'm using. But I wouldn't double the amount of salt in the recipe because then it would taste too salty. I think of specialty grains like a "seasoning", so I tend to use the same amount (in weight per volume) in bigger beers as normal-gravity ones.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 05:51:50 am »
Thanks for the info. I will take it into consideration and adjust the grains accordingly.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2021, 08:36:12 am »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

I tend to use some Munich 10 in mine.  I'd definitely lose the Special B.  As a point of comparison, here's my recipe (albeit American style) that took BOS at the OR State Fair one year.  BTW, it was 5 years old!    https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/dennys-old-stoner-barleywine
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:37:48 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2021, 09:44:00 am »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

I tend to use some Munich 10 in mine.  I'd definitely lose the Special B.  As a point of comparison, here's my recipe (albeit American style) that took BOS at the OR State Fair one year.  BTW, it was 5 years old!    https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/dennys-old-stoner-barleywine

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

It seems like Special B is not very popular here. My recipe is from the 7 Seas Brewery, in Gig Harbor, WA. They actually call for 13 ounces of B for a 5 gallon batch size.

https://www.7seasbrewing.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2021, 09:57:22 am »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

It seems like Special B is not very popular here. My recipe is from the 7 Seas Brewery, in Gig Harbor, WA. They actually call for 13 ounces of B for a 5 gallon batch size.

Special B is great, but its easy to overdo it.  I'm curious why you picked the beer as a model.  Have you ever tasted it?  I don't live too far from there and am in the area frequently, but I've never heard oofof  the brewery nor seen their beer aeound.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 10:10:33 am »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

Special B is great, but its easy to overdo it.  I'm curious why you picked the beer as a model.  Have you ever tasted it?  I don't live too far from there and am in the area frequently, but I've never heard of  the brewery nor seen their beer around.

I got the recipe from BYO, and there were good comments. Never tried it. It looks like a simple recipe, without dry hopping. IBU 38. ABV 12%. Our friends are looking for a high-octane Guinness type beer. This looks like it would work.

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.107   FG = 1.026
IBU = 38   SRM = 22   ABV = 12%

“Brewed slightly differently each year, but typically aged a minimum of eight months, these Barley Wines display a reddish-brown hue and exhibit prominent notes of ripe pit fruit, brown sugar, toffee, and a full-bodied, malty mouthfeel.”

17 lbs. (7.7 kg) Maris Otter pale ale malt
1.25 lbs. (0.57 kg) British carastan malt (34 °L)
13 oz. (0.37 kg) Belgian Special B malt (120 °L)
5.7 AAU Glacier hop pellets (60 min.)
(1 oz./28 g at 5.7% alpha acids)
5.7 AAU Glacier hop pellets (40 min.) (1 oz./28 g at 5.7% alpha acids)
3.6 AAU East Kent Golding hop pellets (20 min.) (0.75 oz./21 g at 4.75% alpha acids)
2.4 AAU East Kent Golding hop pellets (5 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 4.75% alpha acids)
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) clover honey (10 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (30 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (15 min.)
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast or Safale US-05 yeast
3⁄4 cup (150 g) dextrose (if priming)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:13:42 am by TXFlyGuy »