Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn Sugar by Weight of Volume?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Daniel Russow

• 1st Kit
Corn Sugar by Weight of Volume?
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:41:12 pm »
I just finished bottling a saison and was a little confused when trying to determine how much corn sugar to use. I used an online priming sugar calculator and it said a carbonation level of 3.2 vols required 7 oz (weight) or 1 cup (volume) of corn sugar. I measured out 1 cup of corn sugar and decided to weigh it and it only weighed 4 ounces. The corn sugar that I recently purchased seemed to be in a bigger bag than usual. So I added some more to get it closer to the 7 ounces suggested by the app. I did check several calculators and all gave me the same, around 7 oz. The 2 measurements seem so far off that I am a little worried. Should I always stick to using weight instead of volume? If I just used the volume suggestion of 1 cup, it seems like it would have been under-carbonated. But I also don't want beer bombs. Am I missing something here? Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:52:07 pm by Daniel Russow »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Corn Sugar by Weight of Volume?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:53 pm »
What's missing here is the batch size and temp that the beer was sitting at when you bottled, and also where you got your bottling sugar. Corn sugar (i.e. dextrose) sold for homebrew bottling often also contains a "heading agent", usually an algae-derived sugar like gum arabic or whatnot. The ratio of heading agent to dextrose perhaps threw off the measurement. If anything, the beer would probably be under-carbed if you used a product that contained the heading agent.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:54:08 am »
I measure my corn sugar by weight based on the finished bottling volume of beer and the desired level of carbonation.  The temperature RC is referring to is the temperature in which the bottles will condition at after the bottles are capped.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:59:54 am »
For solids, weight measure is always to be preferred over volume measure.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 06:58:28 am »
Always

I prefer to add water salts by level tsp. I quit breaking out the gram scale trying to hit an exact number because it’s all just an approximation anyway. Accurately measuring brewing salts in grams gives an illusion of precision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:06:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:30:09 am »
I just weighed a cup of corn sugar in my brewroom and got 4.5 oz. The OP added more to get closer to the 7 oz.

I would recommend caution when carbonating over 3 volumes in bottles. Its better to be a little low than high. If you over-carbonate or have a bottle that's a little weak, you may experience a bottle bomb as you mentioned.

It happened once to me even though I thought I was being cautious. That's one reason I prefer to keg these days.

After that, I stored them in an enclosed area, to prevent damage from flying glass chards. From your description, I would be concerned about this.
Roger

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 08:02:45 am »
Always

I prefer to add water salts by level tsp. I quit breaking out the gram scale trying to hit an exact number because it’s all just an approximation anyway. Accurately measuring brewing salts in grams gives an illusion of precision.

Obviously not a baker. ;)

It's best to trust weight as opposed to volume, as mentioned, simply because of the way solids like sugar, flour, etc, compact. I bake a lot and I hate it when ingredients are given in cups as opposed to oz or grams because it is never accurate.

That said, I agree with Roger. Be absolutely sure your bottles can withstand that pressure. 2.7-2.8 is about as safe as I feel in standard brown bottles.Much higher in thick walled champagne bottles.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:46:12 am »
Baking is different. I get a bit more precise because there’s no way to adjust a loaf of bread later.

In brewing I can always add salts down the line (more like cooking).

‘Always’ is just a trap.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:49:23 am by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 08:59:31 am »
Baking is different. I get a bit more precise because there’s no way to adjust a loaf of bread later.

‘Always’ is just a trap.

I can see for salts but for priming sugar I do think weight is "always" better

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:00:50 am »

‘Always’ is just a trap.

Tests I did years ago confirm that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 10:24:21 am »

‘Always’ is just a trap.

I can appreciate the "illusion of precision" argument for something like brewing salts where I doubt most people could taste a 10% difference in ion concentration. Heck, even a 25% difference would be tough unless you're talking very high concentrations. A 10% difference in carbonation is a lot more likely to be noticeable, though.

In general, I think for solids you will generally get a more precise result by using weight rather than volume.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 11:18:44 am »
Always

I agree, measuring brewing salts by volume is much easier. Never could understand those who insist moisture will affect volume too much for it to be accurate. I've always though it to be the opposite. Moisture generally has a much greater affect on weight.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 01:13:25 pm »
One corn sugar milling machine may produce a different packing density than another.  And then there is tapped or vibrated packing density vs. loose packing density.  And density at the top of a column of powdered material vs. density at the bottom of the same column.  All sorts of problems may potentially rear their ugly head when attempting to equate weight to volume for certain types of solids.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 01:24:54 pm »
One corn sugar milling machine may produce a different packing density than another.  And then there is tapped or vibrated packing density vs. loose packing density.  And density at the top of a column of powdered material vs. density at the bottom of the same column.  All sorts of problems may potentially rear their ugly head when attempting to equate weight to volume for certain types of solids.

I agree. ...but that’s quite a difference (underlined) that your initial always statement.

When it makes sense, weight should be used for solids, when it doesn’t matter, it’s optional. I simply gave an example of when it doesn’t matter.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 01:28:39 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Daniel Russow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 11:06:29 am »
Thanks for your help everyone. I will stick with weighing, being careful to not over-stress my bottles. I just found it interesting for the two calculations to be so far off.