Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Heaven  (Read 10769 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Hop Heaven
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2021, 10:26:54 am »
I ordered these from Hop Heaven on Wednesday, and they arrived Saturday.  Looking forward to trying them out

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2021, 01:24:46 pm »
I ordered these from Hop Heaven on Wednesday, and they arrived Saturday.  Looking forward to trying them out

Please let us know how they look, feel and smell (and came out in a beer).  I have been rubbing my chin about some of the hops that Ted has and wondered about getting some and these were one variety I was interested in.  His US Saaz, Edelweiss and the C-148 were all excellent.  Ted is turning me into a hop snob.   8)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2021, 08:13:34 am »
Ordered (Hop Heaven) 8oz Magnum 2020 pellets for bittering, and 1 lb Mt Hood 2020
pellets for flavor/aroma.  Would use leaf hops if I had a larger kettle with a false
bottom, using spent hops as a filter bed.  Also Ordered small vacuum sealer bags to
freeze/fridge small amounts.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2021, 09:17:22 am »
Ordered (Hop Heaven) 8oz Magnum 2020 pellets for bittering, and 1 lb Mt Hood 2020
pellets for flavor/aroma.  Would use leaf hops if I had a larger kettle with a false
bottom, using spent hops as a filter bed.  Also Ordered small vacuum sealer bags to

This was one of my clutch purchases.  I was not being vigilant with storing my hops but I have had this thing for 4-5 years now and hops get vac-sealed here now.  When I need some I just open the bag, weigh them out and vac them back up. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Fire Rooster

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2021, 10:47:47 am »

This was one of my clutch purchases.  I was not being vigilant with storing my hops but I have had this thing for 4-5 years now and hops get vac-sealed here now.  When I need some I just open the bag, weigh them out and vac them back up.

The standard size for vacuum seal bags is way too big for 1/2 oz of pellet hops.
Ordered 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 bags, might be too small, will order next size up if so.
Tried cutting the bags smaller, but wouldn't seal.  Avoiding what your going
through, opening then resealing.  I did that a few times, and didn't get a fuzzy
feeling doing it.  Bought the small bags on amazon for 10 bucks, next size up
was more.  I think the next vacuum sealed hops will go in fridge, use them
within a year, or chuck.  Over cautious or OCD, whichever, if grains, hops, or
yeast look at me sideways, they get chucked.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:13:41 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2021, 11:01:46 am »
I vacuum seal left over hops and throw them in the deep freeze.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2021, 11:24:33 am »

The standard size for vacuum seal bags is way too big for 1/2 oz of pellet hops.
through, opening then resealing.  I did that a few times, and didn't get a fuzzy
I bought bag material that comes on a roll.  You can make whatever sized bag you need.  Seal one end (sometimes I do a double or triple seal to make sure it's good) add the hops and seal the other end (sometimes double or triple again) and just leave enough bag so you could cut it open, weigh out more hops and seal it again and have enough material to do that. 

Same. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2021, 11:24:58 am »

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2021, 09:09:36 am »

Where do you live in Ohio?  Just curious.

Cortland. Its about 15 minutes north of Warren. I also didn't receive my hops yet. But that's ok, I don't need them until next weekend.
[/quote]

Right up the road from you in Kinsman, woop!!
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2021, 10:11:54 am »

I used to use alot of styrian goldings from Hop Heaven. They were always in good condition and performed well. They're a classic hop. I stopped when I found that domestic "noble" hops were usually just as good, if not better and made me feel a little bit better supporting domestic farmers. I am brewing alot with Hop Heavens Liberty hops and holy cow are they amazing.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2021, 11:12:04 am »

Where do you live in Ohio?  Just curious.

Cortland. Its about 15 minutes north of Warren. I also didn't receive my hops yet. But that's ok, I don't need them until next weekend.

Right up the road from you in Kinsman, woop!!
[/quote]

Hey Dave, that's great news. Good to know that there are people close to home on here!! Cheers!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2021, 07:27:04 am »

I bought bag material that comes on a roll.  You can make whatever sized bag you need.  Seal one end (sometimes I do a double or triple seal to make sure it's good) add the hops and seal the other end (sometimes double or triple again) and just leave enough bag so you could cut it open, weigh out more hops and seal it again and have enough material to do that. 

I do the same.  Buy it in a roll and cut off what I need and leave enough extra to reseal the bag after opening like Village Taphouse does.  All of my hops then go in the freezer.  My wife sometimes raises the issue of how I commandeered the freezer in the basement beer fridge for hops.  I simple say, you want beer, don't you?
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2021, 08:29:12 am »

I do the same.  Buy it in a roll and cut off what I need and leave enough extra to reseal the bag after opening like Village Taphouse does.  All of my hops then go in the freezer.  My wife sometimes raises the issue of how I commandeered the freezer in the basement beer fridge for hops.  I simple say, you want beer, don't you?
As brewers, we tend to overbuy and overstock hops, right?  So many kinds of hops and so many new varieties that we want to try.  I always err on the side of too many as opposed to not enough.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2021, 08:30:32 am »
My wife sometimes raises the issue of how I commandeered the freezer in the basement beer fridge for hops.  I simple say, you want beer, don't you?
That’s a dangerous question at my house. My wife might say no!  She still hasn’t found the beer she likes. I could make her spiked tonic waters or ciders, but where’s the fun in that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2021, 08:58:29 am »

As brewers, we tend to overbuy and overstock hops, right?  So many kinds of hops and so many new varieties that we want to try.  I always err on the side of too many as opposed to not enough.  :P

I've started practicing that obsession with craft malt now.  At least as addictive as hops!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell