Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Devils Back Bone Vienna lager clone.  (Read 2786 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
Re: Devils Back Bone Vienna lager clone.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 09:24:56 pm »
Fred thanks dude Looking forward to the update. Went out to eat again tonight and they had the DB vienna was tasty with a bucket of los country boil!! So nice to be home

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

nice dude, funny we're at opposite ends of the continent kind of. never had a low country boil before. i was sitting in the snow drinking hoegaarden voicechatting with internet peeps.

the covid is almost over around here. the new daily numbers are shrinking and the vaccines are coming out.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 09:47:34 am »
the covid is almost over around here. the new daily numbers are shrinking and the vaccines are coming out.

It is not time to let your guard down.  The South African strain of the virus is in the United States.   My better half is an executive-level nurse who runs occupational health for a large healthcare system (i.e., she is charged with keeping the front line workers in her system healthy).  We do not have enough data with respect to the efficacy of the vaccines with this highly contagious form of the virus.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-variant/fresh-data-show-toll-south-african-virus-variant-takes-on-vaccine-efficacy-idUSKBN29Z0I7

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 09:58:37 am »

It is not time to let your guard down.  The South African strain of the virus is in the United States.   My better half is an executive-level nurse who runs occupational health for a large healthcare system (i.e., she is charged with keeping the front line workers in her system healthy).  We do not have enough data with respect to the efficacy of the vaccines with this highly contagious form of the virus.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-variant/fresh-data-show-toll-south-african-virus-variant-takes-on-vaccine-efficacy-idUSKBN29Z0I7
My better half who happens to be a very successful and intelligent MD says this is gonna be our lives for awhile, far from over.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 10:37:00 am »
My better half who happens to be a very successful and intelligent MD says this is gonna be our lives for awhile, far from over.

Bingo!  We just went through a year of mixed-messaging with respect to this crisis.  A lot of lives could have been saved if everyone had just worn a mask.  Remember a mask of less than a properly fitted N95 does not protect you from the virus.  Its job is to prevent people who are COVID-positive from spreading the disease (i.e., your wearing a mask protects me from you and my wearing a mask protects you from me).  That is what a lot people do not get.

If people doubt that wearing a mask works, colds and the flu are at records lows this year.  The flu usually starts in the southern hemisphere each year during their winter, which is our summer.  It spreads to the US when the seasons flip-flop.  The heavy use of masks in the southern hemisphere stopped the flu from spreading, which, in turn, stopped it from spreading to the northern hemisphere.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-season-never-came-to-the-southern-hemisphere1/

In other words, as my governor says, just wear the darn mask.  COVID will be over one day, but until then we need to remain vigilent.  The Spanish Fly circled the planet three times before it was extinguished.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:39:36 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 10:55:29 am »

Bingo!  We just went through a year of mixed-messaging with respect to this crisis.  A lot of lives could have been saved if everyone had just worn a mask.  Remember a mask of less than a properly fitted N95 does not protect you from the virus.  Its job is to prevent people who are COVID-positive from spreading the disease (i.e., your wearing a mask protects me from you and my wearing a mask protects you from me).  That is what a lot people do not get.

If people doubt that wearing a mask works, colds and the flu are at records lows this year.  The flu usually starts in the southern hemisphere each year during their winter, which is our summer.  It spreads to the US when the seasons flip-flop.  The heavy use of masks in the southern hemisphere stopped the flu from spreading, which, in turn, stopped it from spreading to the northern hemisphere.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-season-never-came-to-the-southern-hemisphere1/

In other words, as my governor says, just wear the darn mask.  COVID will be over one day, but until then we need to remain vigilent.  The Spanish Fly circled the planet three times before it was extinguished.

while the US has certain strongly guaranteed freedoms regarding freedom of movement/travel/religious service attendance(maybe that one) etc. canada doesnt. on one hand it became really apparent to me how easily my freedom to do things i expect "normally" can be taken away on a whim (not minimizing the situation, but it was done very quickly without any public concensus). they just turn on "emergency act" and i am no longer free to travel, even within canada from province to province.

it also means it would have been theoretically possible to do what vietnam/taiwan and other places in asia did.

-from the beginning, take it seriously.
-mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the country that is actually enforced and monitored. (google korea/vietnam/etc on this)
-simply state the seriousness that it is wished to be dealt with from the beginning, not slowly, slowly gradually while doing half-measures until it becomes a disaster AND people are exhausted from annoying half-measures for 9 months then attempting a co-ordinated serious effort.
-understand the importance of N95 or KN95 type masks for any kind of real human-heavy interactions that people have

if we had just done a 99% full societal shutdown of 2 to 3 weeks at the beginning we could have massively mitigated this entire years worth of crap.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 11:09:05 am »
I just want to be free to see my friends again without having to risk contracting a deadly disease.  I personally am going to forgo Homebrew Con until COVID has been extinguished.  I am surprised that the AHA scheduled Homebrew Con for 2021.  All roads point to it being canceled.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 12:51:00 pm »
I just want to be free to see my friends again without having to risk contracting a deadly disease.  I personally am going to forgo Homebrew Con until COVID has been extinguished.  I am surprised that the AHA scheduled Homebrew Con for 2021.  All roads point to it being canceled.
Same here, it's scary that you could possibly kill your oldest dearest family members by just breaking what people think is a trivial social distancing rule