Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buying in bulk  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Buying in bulk
« on: December 28, 2020, 06:12:03 pm »
Doing some research and there are literally 100s of websites online you can buy your grains in bulk from. Does anybody have a good reccomendation.

My LHBS didn't want to sell 55 pound sacks of base malt so I'm gonna go a different route.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Buying in bulk
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 06:19:32 pm »
I would shop around because shipping is a pain. Makes it not worth the cost. I buy from a local brewery but they are pretty good about supporting brewers..  as it was founded by a Homebrewing family.

So the best I can recommend is MoreBeer, they sell 10lb bags of grain and if you get above $60 it ships free. The same 50lb sack of grain ran $40 shipping to my place as they don't qualify for the free freight. I'm sure other places are like that as well but I haven't looked beyond that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 06:23:40 pm »
That's kind of what I'm seeing. So if I run to the LHBS and pick up 3 grain bills. (It's an hour away so I stock up). I didn't have a mill so I would mill it then cram 2-3 brews into a week of different sizes. That would run me about 100 dollars between fuel and the grains, yeast and hops.

It's significantly cheaper if I can find a place that doesn't have heinous shipping costs

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Buying in bulk
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 07:03:48 pm »
There’s a hydroponics place in NY that sells 50/55 lb sacks of grain with free shipping. https://www.sunsethydro.com/collections/grains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:05:24 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 08:35:38 pm »
Same for me as what allenhuerta said. The best deal I’ve found is through more beer buying the 10 pound bags also. I buy 6 bags of each base malt I use at a time and it qualifies for free shipping.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 09:47:24 pm »
Thanks for the info y'all

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 10:08:14 pm »
The LHBS nearest me does a bulk grain sale once or twice a year. The customers get their economies of scale, and the owner gets to not mess with 55lb sacks the rest of the year.  I don't know how open they'd be, but you could pitch that idea to your LHBS.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 06:26:29 am »
That's a good idea

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 07:19:33 am »
Do you have a local malster? I have a good one, Valley Malt in Hadley, MA. They have a sort of malt CSA that I have used a couple times where you choose the 50# sack of base malt (pilsner or pale) and you also get a bunch of specialty malts and a couple smaller (5-10#?) sacks of base malt such as munich, vienna, and rye. I am pretty sure you can just get a big sack of base malt too.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 07:56:37 am »
Some local breweries will do bulk buys for homebrewers. You may have to drive for it. 15 or so years ago a friend of mine used to order a pallet or two of grain through a local brewery about twice a year in Nashville. I had to drive 90 minutes to pick up my part of the order but 2 it was worth it and I'd order bulk sacks of grain to last months (I homebrewed a LOT back then lol). Wholesale malt that breweries buy is CHEAP compared to what homebrewers pay.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 01:04:53 pm »
I'll have to look to see if there are any maltsters here in PA. I didn't even think of looking for one or contacting a brewery. That's why I love this forum!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 03:03:28 pm »
I purchase Weyermanns Floor Malted Pilsner from NB for $95 and that included "free" shipping. On some other websites it was less per pound but with added shipping. Total per pound was $1.72 so it actually was a fair price.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 03:32:08 pm »
I'll have to look to see if there are any maltsters here in PA. I didn't even think of looking for one or contacting a brewery. That's why I love this forum!

My brother's company, Double Eagle Malt, is in Philly, but I don't know if he has an outlet for retail homebrewers.  Check the web site https://www.doubleeaglemalt.com/
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 04:08:33 pm »

I use Deer Creek malts, also from down near Philly.  https://www.deercreekmalt.com/
They are available from Keystone Homebrew or direct from their website. KH will give you a better deal on shipping though.

I would like to try Double Eagle Malt as well.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 04:19:16 pm »
I talked to my LHBS again today when the owner was in. I ussually BS with him when I'm in store and he said if I buy two sacks at a time he'd sell em to me 72 bucks out the door. Just give him a weeks notice