Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Brew  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: First Brew
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 08:46:22 pm »
Biggest thing I've learned is. For the most part little mistakes are not the end of the world and even if you have a screw up more than likely your going to make good beer

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
+1. Learn from mistakes.
+1 practice practice practice.

You'll learn as you brew. It took me two batches to learn that I personally do not like honey malt or crystal. I prefer special B or the caramalts.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 12:24:11 pm »
Actually, my old homebrew shop operator gave me great advice 21 years ago when I made my first batch.  It was couched in the knowledge of the local water supply.  "Make a brown ale", he said.  Not knowing any better, I did.  It came out quite passable due to the slightly more acidic, darker grist. 

I'd say that unless you knew that your water supply is almost pure rain water, starting with a darker brew is likely to produce a better outcome.  Of course, do take steps to remove chlorine compounds from your brewing water if you're getting the water from a municipal tap. 

Once you've gained confidence in brewing the darker stuff, take a teeny step into learning how to adjust your brewing water and then move to paler beers. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 04:07:01 pm »
...I'd say that unless you knew that your water supply is almost pure rain water, starting with a darker brew is likely to produce a better outcome.  Of course, do take steps to remove chlorine compounds from your brewing water if you're getting the water from a municipal tap...

Jugs of RO/Distilled water are cheap enough that I'd recommend just buying that and eliminating municipal water as variable.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 04:09:37 pm »
I suggest a nice straightforward American pale ale.  Learn to walk before you run.
+1.

Keep your first few recipes simple until you've figured out your system and what works for your setup.

I'm less convinced of the need to start with extract recipes.  Single-vessel brew-in-a-bag is so simple, and the only extra startup cost (vs extract) is a grain bag. I only did one extract kit before jumping to BIAB.

This.

It would be interesting to see the "your first brew day" chapter of a home brewing book (e.g. chapter 1 of How to Brew 4e) revised to cover BIAB.

Mary Izett does basically that in Speed Brewing.  I'd recommend that book to anyone who's thinking about getting into brewing.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 04:50:57 pm »
I’ve made a lot of bad beer, but never a bad stout.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 03:26:26 pm »
Clean and sanitize everything. Don't brew with chlorinated water.  Read a lot.  Be patient.  Don't worry, it'll turn out fine.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 06:22:28 pm »
Mary Izett does basically that in Speed Brewing.  I'd recommend that book to anyone who's thinking about getting into brewing.
Thank you!  A "new to me" book; the brewing chapters were a good read.  (I have been brewing 'small' batch BIAB for a couple of years). 

For anyone wanting to start "all-grain" with small batches (2 gal recipes into 1.75 gal kegs or bottling), this is looks like a good starting point.

Glad you liked it. 👍
The Other Drew

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 08:12:05 pm »
Jugs of RO/Distilled water are cheap enough that I'd recommend just buying that and eliminating municipal water as variable.

Does anyone else who do this feel that you get the stink eye at the grocery store? I get 10 1 gallon jugs of distilled because the 2.5 gallon is somehow more expensive per gallon. Pre covid, I never felt weird about it - now i get a sense people think i'm hoarding water  ::)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 11:26:04 am »
I've never messed with water chemistry other than adjusting my PH, is there a kit or a little starter set that comes with all the salts and a book that everyone uses?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
First Brew
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 12:22:33 pm »
I use BeerSmith 3.x for water adjustments. In the past it was questionable but with 3.x I can input my grain on the design tab, move to the water tab and select my water source, select a mineral profile, push the button and *poof* it automagically tells me what to add. I then move to the mash tab and look at pH.

Bru’n Water is also a good tool to use but you have to play with mineral additions to hit a target. More of a hunt n peck kind of thing until you get comfortable with it.  But it works as advertised and is very reliable.

There are other programs as well such as Easy Water, Brewer Friend, etc. but I’ve not used them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:27:57 pm by BrewBama »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 12:41:09 pm »

Does anyone else who do this feel that you get the stink eye at the grocery store? I get 10 1 gallon jugs of distilled because the 2.5 gallon is somehow more expensive per gallon. Pre covid, I never felt weird about it - now i get a sense people think i'm hoarding water  ::)

With the ridiculous hoarding that some people do, it’s understandable that you get the stink eye. I guess all you can do is ignore them. While distilled water removes uncertainty regarding water content, it doesn’t negate the need for water adjustments.

Kev, see you’re in Zville. Joining a good homebrew club can help provide expertise in all aspects of brewing. Hopefully you’re already in one! 😁
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 12:42:04 pm »
I've never messed with water chemistry other than adjusting my PH, is there a kit or a little starter set that comes with all the salts and a book that everyone uses?

I'm not sure about a starter set (I'm sure they're out there), but if you get some small (2 oz.) packages of calcium chloride, epsom salts, and gypsum, that's really all you need to start. If you get serious about water, you can get 1 lb. packages of each of those, but be aware that those quantities will last you forever in a homebrew setting. A high accuracy+precision digital scale is also very helpful.

Martin Brungard's Water Knowledge web page https://www.brunwater.com/water-knowledge is succinct and pretty accessible for the average person, and might really be all you need in the end. For books, the water discussion in John Palmer's How to Brew book is pretty good, and Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers by Colin Kaminski and John J. Palmer goes into even greater depth. There are a number of really great HomebrewCon presentations available on the AHA website, and those are also really informative (and may be easier to process than a bunch of text).

Good luck in your water explorations!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 01:17:55 pm »
I should have mentioned, if you've never brewed before I recommend getting a few extract batches under your belt before you try all grain.

I have to respectfully disagree Denny. I started brewing all grain from day one except one extract brew in 1987. It was horrible tasting at best. When I decided to try my hand at brewing again (years later) I was convinced that all grain was the only way to start. I read relentlessly on the subject until I felt I had a better than basic understanding of what all grain brewing would be. So starting with 2 10 gallon coolers, a converted keggle, propane turkey fryer, carbon water filter, various items such as thermometers, hydrometer, strainers, hoses, ball valves etc etc etc.

My first beer was a saison and it was surprisingly "good". Good enough to drink and share for feedback. I know there is a larger upfront cost for the aforementioned items for brewing AG but for me I was determined to learn how to brew.

I can't speak for the OP, not knowing his budget or if this may be a passing fancy, who knows?

To the OP, my suggestion is to ask yourself what you expect from brewing. What are your goals? Do you see yourself excited to share your beer with people for honest feedback? Read as much as possible on the subject. Read posts from this forum. There are some very intelligent people here that bring different disciplines and perspectives that are priceless. I have learned as much if not more from reading subject matter on this forum as I have from reading books and magazines. Your biggest source of gaining knowledge will be from making unexpected mistakes and taking meticulous notes.

Good Luck!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 01:32:45 pm »
I should have mentioned, if you've never brewed before I recommend getting a few extract batches under your belt before you try all grain.

I have to respectfully disagree Denny. I started brewing all grain from day one except one extract brew in 1987. It was horrible tasting at best. When I decided to try my hand at brewing again (years later) I was convinced that all grain was the only way to start. I read relentlessly on the subject until I felt I had a better than basic understanding of what all grain brewing would be. So starting with 2 10 gallon coolers, a converted keggle, propane turkey fryer, carbon water filter, various items such as thermometers, hydrometer, strainers, hoses, ball valves etc etc etc.

My first beer was a saison and it was surprisingly "good". Good enough to drink and share for feedback. I know there is a larger upfront cost for the aforementioned items for brewing AG but for me I was determined to learn how to brew.

I can't speak for the OP, not knowing his budget or if this may be a passing fancy, who knows?

To the OP, my suggestion is to ask yourself what you expect from brewing. What are your goals? Do you see yourself excited to share your beer with people for honest feedback? Read as much as possible on the subject. Read posts from this forum. There are some very intelligent people here that bring different disciplines and perspectives that are priceless. I have learned as much if not more from reading subject matter on this forum as I have from reading books and magazines. Your biggest source of gaining knowledge will be from making unexpected mistakes and taking meticulous notes.

Good Luck!!

I had a different experience.  My fist extract batch was great...so good it inspired me to enter comps.  The next dozen extracts I made were entered and won ribbons.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 01:41:55 pm »

I'm not sure about a starter set (I'm sure they're out there), but if you get some small (2 oz.) packages of calcium chloride, epsom salts, and gypsum, that's really all you need to start. If you get serious about water, you can get 1 lb. packages of each of those, but be aware that those quantities will last you forever in a homebrew setting. A high accuracy+precision digital scale is also very helpful.

Martin Brungard's Water Knowledge web page https://www.brunwater.com/water-knowledge is succinct and pretty accessible for the average person, and might really be all you need in the end. For books, the water discussion in John Palmer's How to Brew book is pretty good, and Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers by Colin Kaminski and John J. Palmer goes into even greater depth. There are a number of really great HomebrewCon presentations available on the AHA website, and those are also really informative (and may be easier to process than a bunch of text).

Good luck in your water explorations!
Thank you,

I watched palmers expose on water very in depth and informative but I had a hard time watching it in one sitting nothing against john of course.

I live in PA and I noticed a hell of difference from buying 10 gallons of h20 to go from my store and when I switched to my house water with a filter and campden tablets. The beer just tastes so much better.

And I did that out of not wanting to run to the store every time I brewed