Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Brew  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Biglare

• 1st Kit
  • Madison, WI
First Brew
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:08:57 pm »
Recommendations on style/recipe of beer to try on my first brew?

Thanks

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: First Brew
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:09:39 pm »
What do you want/like to drink?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 01:36:13 pm »
Something in the Ale category. Lager brews require temperature control that most new brewers don't have. Sour beers require lots of time, kettle sours require techniques that even I won't attempt.

IPA, Stout, Porter, Blonde and just about all other beer styles take the same amount of skill and time to brew. So, you pretty much have everything at your finger tips.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 01:44:47 pm »
I suggest a nice straightforward American pale ale.  Learn to walk before you run.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Biglare

• 1st Kit
  • Madison, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 01:55:40 pm »
I like most anything.  I was thinking of a basic American pale ale

Thanks

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 01:59:41 pm »
This is a great place to start lots and lots of knowledge here

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 02:10:42 pm »
This is the Pale Ale that I'm brewing as we speak (type). From Sierras IG. A bit of missing information there from the brew nerd perspective but will result in deliciousness as is. You'll learn more as you talk, brew, taste so the best step is forward.

Edit: Also, you don't have to start exactly here. You can begin right on the stove top and not have to deal with the whole mashing process and save a few hours. See if you like the process.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:25:10 pm by allenhuerta »

Offline Biglare

• 1st Kit
  • Madison, WI
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 02:11:13 pm »
Oiscut that sound great

Offline Biglare

• 1st Kit
  • Madison, WI
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 02:11:58 pm »
Thanks allenhuerta

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 03:04:12 pm »
Tons of great advice around here. You can learn a lot from reading the threads. Congratulations on getting into a great hobby and community. Don’t get frustrated when a hiccup arrives. Keep at it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 03:14:14 pm »
I should have mentioned, if you've never brewed before I recommend getting a few extract batches under your belt before you try all grain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 10:02:07 pm »
I suggest a nice straightforward American pale ale.  Learn to walk before you run.
+1.

Keep your first few recipes simple until you've figured out your system and what works for your setup.

I'm less convinced of the need to start with extract recipes.  Single-vessel brew-in-a-bag is so simple, and the only extra startup cost (vs extract) is a grain bag. I only did one extract kit before jumping to BIAB.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 05:05:08 am »
+1.

Keep your first few recipes simple until you've figured out your system and what works for your setup.

I'm less convinced of the need to start with extract recipes.  Single-vessel brew-in-a-bag is so simple, and the only extra startup cost (vs extract) is a grain bag. I only did one extract kit before jumping to BIAB.

This.

And I won’t recommend a style...so many good choices...but I would recommend that whatever you brew for your first beer, you brew again for your second.  And take lots of notes.  You’ll be up and running in short order.  This hobby isn’t that hard despite what some people may have you believe.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 06:14:41 am »
Biggest thing I've learned is. For the most part little mistakes are not the end of the world and even if you have a screw up more than likely your going to make good beer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 12:12:50 pm »
Biggest thing I've learned is. For the most part little mistakes are not the end of the world and even if you have a screw up more than likely your going to make good beer

+1. Learn from mistakes.