Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2021  (Read 2092 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
NHC 2021
« on: December 05, 2020, 09:13:00 am »
Clearly dates are not final but does someone has an approx date?

It's not the same to brew for shipping EO February than shipping EO May. Duh...

For EO February we need to start brewing now/soon (some styles).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: NHC 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:02:16 pm »
I believe everything is going to be judged in Denver. I’m not sure of the schedule.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:44:44 pm »
Many changes this year. They will judge in Denver like they did for GABF.

Here is what I know. Has entry timing. Increased fees too.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/?utm_source=informz&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AHA&_zs=Sb7NM1&_zl=lCM46
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:45:19 pm »
I'm wondering how many bottles will be required.

Ralph R.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 01:55:48 pm »
Many changes this year. They will judge in Denver like they did for GABF.

Here is what I know. Has entry timing. Increased fees too.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/?utm_source=informz&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AHA&_zs=Sb7NM1&_zl=lCM46
I think the timing is the legacy one.
If not... we need to get brewing ...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 01:57:30 pm »
I contacted John Moorhead, who runs NHC,  and asked him to stop by
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »
I contacted John Moorhead, who runs NHC,  and asked him to stop by
Thanks.  No worries about an exact date.  A window should work.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 09:12:47 am »
I'd be interested to hear his thoughts about inclusion and access with these changes. I know many homebrewers are fairly well off, but between shipping and entry fees you're probably looking at $50+ to enter a beer. I imagine that prices out quite a few brewers, even those that can afford it.

I also wonder how this will affect the judging landscape. NHC first round always seemed like a good way to judge or observe some of the best judges, like Sandy Cokerham. I'm sure there are other opportunities, but it doesn't quite seem the same.

On the other hand, it is really nice to not have to worry about rebrewing and timing brew schedules. It'll be interesting to hear from John, he gave a great beer ed for the club earlier in the year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 10:11:33 am »
I'd be interested to hear his thoughts about inclusion and access with these changes. I know many homebrewers are fairly well off, but between shipping and entry fees you're probably looking at $50+ to enter a beer. I imagine that prices out quite a few brewers, even those that can afford it.

I also wonder how this will affect the judging landscape. NHC first round always seemed like a good way to judge or observe some of the best judges, like Sandy Cokerham. I'm sure there are other opportunities, but it doesn't quite seem the same.

On the other hand, it is really nice to not have to worry about rebrewing and timing brew schedules. It'll be interesting to hear from John, he gave a great beer ed for the club earlier in the year.

The inclusion and access topic is valid but IMHO should be handled at the local level by clubs and maybe local competitions through awards.
It would be unfair to ask more of the AHA given the downsizing they already experienced.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 01:52:39 pm »
I certainly don't expect the AHA to operate NHC at a loss, I just wonder if there are other alternatives. Clearly the number of entries drives the cost. NHC could be switched to be an invitational-anyone who meets certain requirements can enter. For example, there's a few hundred of BJCP sanctioned competitions every year, with several a month that have over 150 entries. Between May and September 2019, there were over 30 competitions with at least 100 entries. Some of these have over 200 entries, cost less than $10 to enter, and are close enough that beers can be dropped off instead of being shipped. The BJCP organization has all the data on who's entered, and who's won. Brewers who medal in an appropriately large competition in the past year could enter a beer (possibly restricted to the category they entered in). This would naturally limit the number of entries and allow the cost of NHC to be reduced to a more reasonable level.

Benefits:
  • Reduces barriers to entry (Lower cost of shipping/entry fee)
  • Drives more engagement with local competitions
  • Enhances prestige of local competitions
  • Reduces NHC first round cost to practically $0
  • Allows brewers more time and flexibility to qualify for NHC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 03:26:21 pm »
I can tell you that the cost is entirely driven by what it will cost to operate NHC.  The way it has to be this year means expenses have increased. The entry prices will barely cover expenses assuming it makes out entries. If it doesnt it's bad news.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 03:52:40 pm »
I certainly don't expect the AHA to operate NHC at a loss, I just wonder if there are other alternatives. Clearly the number of entries drives the cost. NHC could be switched to be an invitational-anyone who meets certain requirements can enter. For example, there's a few hundred of BJCP sanctioned competitions every year, with several a month that have over 150 entries. Between May and September 2019, there were over 30 competitions with at least 100 entries. Some of these have over 200 entries, cost less than $10 to enter, and are close enough that beers can be dropped off instead of being shipped. The BJCP organization has all the data on who's entered, and who's won. Brewers who medal in an appropriately large competition in the past year could enter a beer (possibly restricted to the category they entered in). This would naturally limit the number of entries and allow the cost of NHC to be reduced to a more reasonable level.

Benefits:
  • Reduces barriers to entry (Lower cost of shipping/entry fee)
  • Drives more engagement with local competitions
  • Enhances prestige of local competitions
  • Reduces NHC first round cost to practically $0
  • Allows brewers more time and flexibility to qualify for NHC
Sorry but failing to see the savings. If NHC is $29 + shipping? How will an extra $10 for the regional plus regional shipping save money? Even if local shipping  is $10, which is not, NHC has to be $9 to break even.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 05:00:26 pm »
I can tell you that the cost is entirely driven by what it will cost to operate NHC.  The way it has to be this year means expenses have increased. The entry prices will barely cover expenses assuming it makes out entries. If it doesnt it's bad news.
I understand that completely, and I'm positive it'd be too late to change anything for this year any way. I don't think the AHA is trying to profit off if this, I'm just commenting that high cost of entry is a barrier for many people.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 06:59:26 pm »
I understand that completely, and I'm positive it'd be too late to change anything for this year any way. I don't think the AHA is trying to profit off if this, I'm just commenting that high cost of entry is a barrier for many people.

NHC has always been more to enter. There are more expenses to cover. If you wan to a safe NHC this is the path to do it, following the way they did GABF.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline johnny_mo

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 08:36:17 am »
Hi Everyone,
The detailed timeline isn't quite ready yet, but the general timeline will be shipping at the end of March/beginning of April and judging at the end of April/beginning of May.

Registration and payment will be end of February.