Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Maize  (Read 3903 times)

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
Flaked Maize
« on: December 03, 2020, 06:40:05 pm »
Does it do any good to have flaked maize in an extract recipe w/o a base malt to convert it?

Is the purpose to really just make a starchy haze in the beer or give it a corn like taste?

https://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/Recipe_Instructions_2019/k99-2960.pdf

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Flaked Maize
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:06:11 pm »
No to the first question. You won't get any fermentable sugars from the corn in this recipe.

The purpose of using flaked corn in a recipe is to add fermentable sugars while lightening up the beer's body and color. You do get a little corn flavor from it, but not much. Steeping it like in this recipe might add a slight corn flavor, and yes, it might add a haze from dissolved, but unconverted, starches. Not sure why you'd want to do that in a cream ale.

That said, in the interest of me taking my own advice, I shouldn't criticize this recipe without having my own empirical observations about steeping flaked corn at ~150 degrees in the absence of an enzymatic base malt. I've never done this, nor am I going to, but it might turn out just fine.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:39:02 pm by RC »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:41:17 am »
Maybe the kit has enzymes added to the flaked maize?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:49:36 am »
I've steeped flaked barley, Victory, and Aromatic malts in extract batches and I picked up a flavor contribution without noticing excessive haze. But that was either to add body or flavor to a more flavorful beer. Flaked maize in a Cream Ale is a different animal. It's purpose is primarily to add fermentables without adding much protein. It may add a bit of flavor, but that's not necessarily the primary goal of the maize in this recipe. If I were brewing that recipe I'd consider using dextrose or table sugar instead, since that would probably come closer to accomplishing what the maize was included in the all grain version of the recipe for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:06:05 pm »
When I was an extract brewer, recipes that used corn used it in syrup form.  I had a number of recipes with corn syrup and also rice syrup.  In an AG recipe, I agree that it's about lightening the body and color, possibly getting *some* amount of corn flavor and it also seems to lend a smidge of sweetness depending on the percentage used.  I generally don't go higher than about 10%.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 07:16:57 pm »
I've steeped flaked barley, Victory, and Aromatic malts in extract batches and I picked up a flavor contribution without noticing excessive haze. But that was either to add body or flavor to a more flavorful beer. Flaked maize in a Cream Ale is a different animal. It's purpose is primarily to add fermentables without adding much protein. It may add a bit of flavor, but that's not necessarily the primary goal of the maize in this recipe. If I were brewing that recipe I'd consider using dextrose or table sugar instead, since that would probably come closer to accomplishing what the maize was included in the all grain version of the recipe for.

thinking the same thing.

i notice OP is really interested in the making of macro beers, and its kinda boggling to me really.

on a homebrew level if you want to make a BMC style beer there are tons of CAP recipes out there if you want to go the corn route, if not i would just do pale 2 row grain or extract and add dextrose to lighten colour and body and hop to ~15 IBU with whatever hop you want.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 07:35:58 pm »
When I was an extract brewer, recipes that used corn used it in syrup form.  I had a number of recipes with corn syrup and also rice syrup.  In an AG recipe, I agree that it's about lightening the body and color, possibly getting *some* amount of corn flavor and it also seems to lend a smidge of sweetness depending on the percentage used.  I generally don't go higher than about 10%.

Great, but what does that have to do with the OP?  We're talking about a recipe that has flaked maize with *no* enzymes for conversion?  What does that do to the final beer?

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 07:37:23 pm »

thinking the same thing.

i notice OP is really interested in the making of macro beers, and its kinda boggling to me really.

on a homebrew level if you want to make a BMC style beer there are tons of CAP recipes out there if you want to go the corn route, if not i would just do pale 2 row grain or extract and add dextrose to lighten colour and body and hop to ~15 IBU with whatever hop you want.

Sure, I'm interested in macro beers, but again what is the purpose of having flaked maize in a recipe with no enzymes for conversion?  What does it do the final beer, or is it just a mistake?

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 07:52:17 pm »
i have no clue as i've never used corn (have used rice many times), just like i've never used cluster hops.

you could always try it and find out?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 10:21:30 pm »

Great, but what does that have to do with the OP?  We're talking about a recipe that has flaked maize with *no* enzymes for conversion?  What does that do to the final beer?
Sorry to disappoint. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 07:06:37 am »
i have no clue as i've never used corn (have used rice many times), just like i've never used cluster hops.

you could always try it and find out?

I just might have to do that...

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 07:10:09 am »

Sorry to disappoint.

Now don't go feeling sorry for yourself, you have valid points but they just didn't seem to apply directly to the OP.  In fact your website and recipes were valuable resources to me when I got started.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 08:21:16 am »

It leaves starch in the beer that increases the likelihood of infection
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 08:21:49 am »

thinking the same thing.

Sure, I'm interested in macro beers, but again what is the purpose of having flaked maize in a recipe with no enzymes for conversion?  What does it do the final beer, or is it just a mistake?
The easy way out for converting an AG recipe to extract is to convert the base malt to extract and steep everything else. I've seen many head scratcher extract recipes over the years, and I'm sure part of it is because the authors never brewed them. The person who wrote the recipe probably wasn't thinking about this at as high of a level as we are :D

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 08:22:11 am »

thinking the same thing.

I'd call it a mistake.  At the very least it's bad brewing practice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell