Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anvil Foundry - No temp change at mash in?  (Read 3501 times)

Offline a_gunslinger

• 1st Kit
Anvil Foundry - No temp change at mash in?
« on: November 14, 2020, 04:22:05 pm »
Sprung for the Anvil Foundry.  Really like it one batch in.  Lots of baked in simplicity and easier cleanup.  I only had one issue.  Brewing a NE-ish-style IPA with a 13/5 pound grain bill - including 2 pounds rice hull to lessen any stuck mash.

Kettle set for 159 with a 153 target when mashed in.  Slowly stir in the grains ....  No change in temp!  Hangs at 159 all in.  I had to paddle stir grains getting some of the bottom hot zones up to top.  Slow temp chnages this way.  Added 1/2 gallon cold water to the mad stir.  Took about 10-12 minutes aggressive stirrring to hit 153.

The few videos I have watched they portray it as much faster.  And was my experience my old methods - 3 tier using converted kegs.

Note, that was 15 yrs ago - just getting back into it  ;D

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Anvil Foundry - No temp change at mash in?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 04:25:43 pm »
I just set my Foundry to a degree or two higher than my mash, stir everything in, set to mash temp, and then start recirculating at about 80% power. I expected large drops, can't explain why it does not.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline a_gunslinger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:35:26 pm »
I was following guidance from a couple Youtube channels, and seemed like a 159 with 13.5 # grain wouild realize a good temp drop.  I was just suprised at the literal no change in temp at all.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 08:48:47 pm »
The digital readout is very slow to respond due to its location. If you checked the temperature with a thermometer inserted into the mash, you would have seen that the temperature did drop. In time, you'll learn to ignore the digital readout and monitor the actual mash temperature. Once you begin to recirculate, the readout will be closer to the real temperature, but will still fluctuate by several degrees as the element cycles on an off.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:19:10 pm »
Yes, the PID is very slow and not particularly accurate either. I'm sure its better if you recirc, but for me I usually have to set the temp a few degrees higher than target when ramping up temps to end up where I want after I stir the mash. Its worse with thicker mashes in my experience. I'd use a separate thermometer and go by that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:27 pm »
This does not help for that mash in portion but the built in thermometer is calibrated to read at the "center of the mash".. I don't have much more info on how that is determined but yeah, I recirculate from the very beginning so don't notice any issues.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 01:39:00 pm »
Through trial and error and experience, I know that the thermometer (Thermapen) inserted into spots at the top of the mash will give me instantaneous results that will line up with the thermostat of the Anvil Foundry control panel eventually.  Recirculating the mash gets the thermostat to the correct reading much faster, but I just don't worry a lot about it anymore; there is no problem using the Thermapen to confirm actual temperature (as long as I get the Thermapen back to my wife's storage location in the kitchen after using it). 

Before adding the grist, I have to remember to adjust the set temperature to the proper mash temp, too, as it will otherwise engage the heating element during the temperature drop from strike to mash.

I asked the manufacturer about re-calibrating the thermostat, but it is not adjustable (and as stated, it eventually reads correctly).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tommymorris

Anvil Foundry - No temp change at mash in?
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:34:36 pm »
So what happens if you set the temp to your mash temp (say 152F), wait until the strike water gets there, and then add grain and stir? How long will it take for the unit to get the mash temp back to 152F? Would doing that have much impact on the beer?

When I had a Grainfather I did that a lot. I was recirculating. It’s like a mini step mash.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 07:20:41 pm »
So what happens if you set the temp to your mash temp (say 152F), wait until the strike water gets there, and then add grain and stir? How long will it take for the unit to get the mash temp back to 152F? Would doing that have much impact on the beer?

When I had a Grainfather I did that a lot. I was recirculating. It’s like a mini step mash.

Yea it works - the actual temp with room temperature mashed-in grist will be about 7 degrees low.  Setting the temp at 152 will get there in a few minutes.  It really isn’t terribly problematic, as long as you confirm temps with a separate thermometer or set it correctly and wait it out.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 08:06:07 am »
My experience with my 6.5 gal Anvil has been that a 2F over target for mash in will end up a degree under desired mash temp based on the reading.  This gets back to target temp in about 2 to 4 minutes without recirculation. 

I have noticed that when mashing in the heat comes on which probably prevents the temperature from dropping too far.

The center of the grain bed is within a degree of the set target after 10 minutes when I turn the pump on to recirculate.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 02:00:37 pm »
My experience with my 6.5 gal Anvil has been that a 2F over target for mash in will end up a degree under desired mash temp based on the reading.  This gets back to target temp in about 2 to 4 minutes without recirculation. 

I have noticed that when mashing in the heat comes on which probably prevents the temperature from dropping too far.

The center of the grain bed is within a degree of the set target after 10 minutes when I turn the pump on to recirculate.
How are your results with step mashing? I can hit my initial mash temp pretty well, but without recirculation I am nowhere close when I step up. My last batch was supposed to be 145 > 162 > 172, and I ended up setting my Anvil to 147 > 175 > 193 to hold the temps I was shooting for.

When I chill I leave the Anvil on to monitor chilling progress. It reads 70 when I'm actually at 66.

Eric B.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 02:15:30 pm »
Not sure if this will help, but from the Foundry Group on FB. The stuff from the FAQ was questions asked and responded to by the man/company.

Edit: Can you see this photo? It's super pixelated on my phone... It's just a screenshot so I'm confused.. uploaded it as "small".

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:36:27 pm by allenhuerta »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 02:34:16 pm »
Not sure if this will help, but from the Foundry Group on FB. The stuff from the FAQ was questions asked and responded to my the man/company.

Edit: Can you see this photo? It's super pixelated on my phone... It's just a screenshot so I'm confused.. uploaded it as "small".

The text looks like Mandarin.  Which is to say, nope can't read it, too pixilated.   :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 02:35:30 pm »
Let's try medium, thanks Paul

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 03:22:17 pm »
Let's try medium, thanks Paul

Much better. Thanks for sharing - I'll have to check out the FB group.

As far as being calibrated for the middle of the mash, that leads to more questions than answers for me. Does that mean that I shouldn't be stirring when I hit my step so that temps equilibrate with what the PID is reporting? Does this mean that the temp is actually hotter than the display on the bottom of the kettle, leading to faster denaturing of enzymes? How would it know whether you are recirculating or not? I assume this would lead to less of a temperature gradient, so that might lead to differing temps when comparing the bottom to the middle/top of the mash.

Eric B.