Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Opinions? Pitching a lager and holding at 65f for 24 hours before cooling.  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Nykademus

• 1st Kit
I have read and watched folks speak to both pitching a started yeast at lager fermentation temps, and pitching direct and holding above 60f for a day to let the yeast take off.

Will the diacetyl rest clear up the off flavors if the latter is done?

I ask, because I have done just this thing. I pitched direct and held temp at 65f for a full 24 hours before cooling to around 46f.

This is also my first lager, so roast away if you wish.  ;D

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Opinions? Pitching a lager and holding at 65f for 24 hours before cooling.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:32:04 am »
A disadvantage I've found to pitching warm where the yeast can begin to take off and then dropping the temperature is that the yeast will "stall" - slow their activity way down. In such I case I decided whatever time I thought I'd gain by pitching early I lost due to slowing the initial stage of fermentation. I'm interested to see what others say here.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Opinions? Pitching a lager and holding at 65f for 24 hours before cooling.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:35:59 am »
I have used 34/70 and S-189 at 60-65*F. I did not perceive any off flavors.  I don’t know about other lager yeasts.

Many lager yeast upper temp range is 59*F. Now, if it was 15-20 degrees you might detect a different but  I don’t think  the yeast will react negatively to 1-6 degrees above that upper limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:40:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:42:42 am »
I have read and watched folks speak to both pitching a started yeast at lager fermentation temps, and pitching direct and holding above 60f for a day to let the yeast take off.

I ask, because I have done just this thing. I pitched direct and held temp at 65f for a full 24 hours before cooling to around 46f.

If the yeast produces esters, a d rest won't clear them up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 09:04:58 am »
I'm sure I have pitched lager yeast into 60° wort.  2124 or 34/70 (and maybe Lallemand Diamond) might be exempt from this because they can be used at higher temps from what I have heard... never tried that.  Once I pitch the fermenter goes into the fridge set to about 50° and my guess is that the temp drops into the 50-55° range before vigorous fermentation begins.  I'm sure it depends on the strain, the yeast health, the exact temp and the time spent at that temp.  I agree with Denny that a d-rest would not help with esters.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 09:08:36 am »
One thing missing from the post is whether you observed signs of fermentation before dropping the temp. If the growth phase was well underway and a krausen was forming, it will probably be an estery lager--still probably enjoyable, it just won't have that lager cleanness to it. On the other hand, if you saw no signs, it's doubtful enough esters were created to be problematic.

Offline Nykademus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 09:11:11 am »
I have used 34/70 and S-189 at 60-65*F. I did not perceive any off flavors.  I don’t know about other lager yeasts.

Many lager yeast upper temp range is 59*F. Now, if it was 15-20 degrees you might detect a different but  I don’t think  the yeast will react negatively to 1-6 degrees above that upper limit.

I am using Omega OYL-107 on this run. (Yea, yea, I am way late on a fest beer.. or way early :) )

A disadvantage I've found to pitching warm where the yeast can begin to take off and then dropping the temperature is that the yeast will "stall" - slow their activity way down. In such I case I decided whatever time I thought I'd gain by pitching early I lost due to slowing the initial stage of fermentation. I'm interested to see what others say here.

I wondered about that too, but after cooling overnight It was still cooking along this morning. When I get home this evening will tell the tale I suppose.

Would you expect esters to be created by doing so? Given the yeast listed above, and using an extract/steeping grain kit? (Provided that all other factors were optimal, as I believe that they were) Temps were all good throughout the cook, it was not overboiled, and O.G. was 1.059 when target was 1.058.

Offline Nykademus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 09:15:12 am »
One thing missing from the post is whether you observed signs of fermentation before dropping the temp. If the growth phase was well underway and a krausen was forming, it will probably be an estery lager--still probably enjoyable, it just won't have that lager cleanness to it. On the other hand, if you saw no signs, it's doubtful enough esters were created to be problematic.

Yes, fermentation had started and krausen had started forming, although it was toward the end of that first warm stage. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 09:42:17 am »

I am using Omega OYL-107 on this run. (Yea, yea, I am way late on a fest beer.. or way early :) )

I wondered about that too, but after cooling overnight It was still cooking along this morning. When I get home this evening will tell the tale I suppose.

Would you expect esters to be created by doing so? Given the yeast listed above, and using an extract/steeping grain kit? (Provided that all other factors were optimal, as I believe that they were) Temps were all good throughout the cook, it was not overboiled, and O.G. was 1.059 when target was 1.058.

No, I wouldn't necessarily expect esters.  But you know what Monty Python said about the Spanish Inquisition....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 10:29:59 am »
Cold pitching.

1.) Make a 2L starter from smack pack; refrigerate when done
2.) Make a 5L starter from decanted 2L starter; refrigerate when done
3.) Decant 5L starter and pitch into wort
4.) On each decant/pitch cycle, the yeast must be colder (ideally no more than 5-10F) than the wort being inoculated and the *final* wort being inoculated should be at the ideal starting fermentation temperature.

Fairly simple concept with excellent results!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 10:37:13 am »
Cold pitching.

4.) On each decant/pitch cycle, the yeast must be colder (ideally no more than 5-10F) than the wort being inoculated and the *final* wort being inoculated should be at the ideal starting fermentation temperature.

That's certainly one way to do it, and I've done something similar many times.  But I've found that a standard SNS works equally well assuming a 6 gal. batch under 1.060 OG.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 10:55:44 am »
Cold pitching.

That's certainly one way to do it, and I've done something similar many times.  But I've found that a standard SNS works equally well assuming a 6 gal. batch under 1.060 OG.

The concept of SNS does not allow it to be decanted or pitched cold, which sends you back to the previous problems, making an estery brew, etc...  SNS might be more appropriate for ales than lagers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:28 am »
Cold pitching.

The concept of SNS does not allow it to be decanted or pitched cold, which sends you back to the previous problems, making an estery brew, etc...  SNS might be more appropriate for ales than lagers.

Do I take this to mean you haven't tried it?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 12:13:26 pm »
Cold pitching.

Who hasn't tried SNS?  That's not the point. 

Making a starter is generally associated with warmer temperatures to encourage yeast population growth and thus requires the chill/decant/pitch cycle.

A SNS at lager temperatures (such that it can be pitched at lager temperatures) simply doesn't have those properties.

Given a 2L SNS starter (actively fermenting) at lager temperatures - you *might* ferment the wort but it won't match the cell density of the stepped up and decanted - cold pitch.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:16:11 pm by rungdalek »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 12:44:58 pm »
Cold pitching.

Who hasn't tried SNS?  That's not the point. 

Making a starter is generally associated with warmer temperatures to encourage yeast population growth and thus requires the chill/decant/pitch cycle.

A SNS at lager temperatures (such that it can be pitched at lager temperatures) simply doesn't have those properties.

Given a 2L SNS starter (actively fermenting) at lager temperatures - you *might* ferment the wort but it won't match the cell density of the stepped up and decanted - cold pitch.

Cell count doesn't really matter for SNS.  I have pitched 1 qt. SNS starters fermented at room temp into lager many times.  There were no issues due to it.  That's what I was wondering...if you've tried the same thing.

www.dennybrew.com