Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with friends, or brewing solo?  (Read 5376 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewing with friends, or brewing solo?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2021, 08:01:04 am »
A little evening prep, including setting the timer on the strike water; get up early and mill the grain, add the salts and start the mash process within a few minutes.  Last Saturday I started about 6 am and was cleaned up and even racked another fermenter to keg and cleaned the fermenter all by 9:30.  Everything fell into place that brew day.  My wife wondered what the heck happened when I offered to help clean the kitchen!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 08:08:34 am »
I'm a solo Brewer -- though not by any particular choice. My first year of brewing largely overlaps the Covid-19 shutdowns, and I like to brew bright-n-early on Saturday mornings. Both of those mitigate against the possible social aspect of homebrewing.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2021, 11:20:21 am »
I've attended a few group brewing events to be sociable, but I prefer to brew solo, early in the day, with coffee and later herbal tea as the day progresses.
Same here. Just coffee for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2021, 11:57:39 am »
I have reached the point of going solo...at great risk of upsetting my brewing partners. There will be hurt feelings.

But having brewed several batches myself, with my wife's assistance, this is the only way forward.

We will have to split the equipment up between us. Might even lose a friendship or two over this development.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2021, 01:13:10 pm »
I’m flipping the opposite of solo, although I enjoy solo brewing. Maybe it’s the covid isolation, but I crave having someone around that enjoys brewing as much as I do, and willing to do things when asked (and not argue or hem-haw).

I’m much more comfortable brewing solo now that I have switched to electric... so no excuses.

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline jim

• 1st Kit
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 02:41:34 pm »
I'm another solo brewer.  I've been doing it that way for about 40 years and am too old to change my ways.

However, I do make wine every year with a group of friends.  We do about a ton of grapes each year.  Between picking, crushing, fermenting, pressing, and bottling, there's enough to keep all of us busy.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 03:10:20 pm »
A little evening prep, including setting the timer on the strike water; get up early and mill the grain, add the salts and start the mash process within a few minutes.  Last Saturday I started about 6 am and was cleaned up and even racked another fermenter to keg and cleaned the fermenter all by 9:30.  Everything fell into place that brew day.  My wife wondered what the heck happened when I offered to help clean the kitchen!

pulled the same today, 6:10 wakeup to 9:45 finish. vienna lager.

Offline maltmechanic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 03:18:17 pm »
I started out brewing with a friend then I went solo because my friend lost interest. I brewed solo for a few years them teamed up with a couple more friends that were brewing on a 26 gallon system. Brewing with friends can be a challenge for various reasons. I will say that brewing solo has the advantage of no distractions and you're not expecting anyone else to get readings or do any of the work. I'm in the process of building a smaller BIAB so I can really brew solo again.

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2021, 08:44:43 am »
I would say my brewing was split about 50/50 prior to Covid.   I have a buddy that is a big homebrewer too so we brew together every few months and split the 10 gallon batch.  It would save us both time that way.  We were both focused on the process and making good beer so it goes pretty smoothly. I will always be willing to teach brewing to anyone that is interested.  I enjoy sharing my passion of brewing with others.

I definitely have the same feelings many have mentioned about "social" brew days, basically brew days with people who just want to hang with you and aren't super interested in the process.  I've found those to be stressful with trying to entertain people and make sure the brew day goes smoothly.

I want the brew day to be relaxful and time for me to do my own thing.  I have a electric system in the basement so I get it going and then put on a game, tv show, or podcast and just do my thing.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2021, 12:17:07 pm »
I would say my brewing was split about 50/50 prior to Covid.   I have a buddy that is a big homebrewer too so we brew together every few months and split the 10 gallon batch.  It would save us both time that way.  We were both focused on the process and making good beer so it goes pretty smoothly. I will always be willing to teach brewing to anyone that is interested.  I enjoy sharing my passion of brewing with others.

I definitely have the same feelings many have mentioned about "social" brew days, basically brew days with people who just want to hang with you and aren't super interested in the process.  I've found those to be stressful with trying to entertain people and make sure the brew day goes smoothly.

I want the brew day to be relaxful and time for me to do my own thing.  I have a electric system in the basement so I get it going and then put on a game, tv show, or podcast and just do my thing.

that sounds good. im not an advanced homebrewer, but i am focused on production x time x money (sorry, i'll try not to repeat this so much).

two or three people with production in mind and similar levels of experience would be great to make multiple brews at the same time, maybe 2 each. one person mashing the upcoming batch, the other boiling or cleaning/preparing.

i stopped considering it when i had a close friend ask me to help him make one and it was clearly a semi-party situation involving drinking primarily.

i think thats the obvious answer for almost everyone here anyway.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2021, 04:38:18 pm »

that sounds good. im not an advanced homebrewer, but i am focused on production x time x money (sorry, i'll try not to repeat this so much).

two or three people with production in mind and similar levels of experience would be great to make multiple brews at the same time, maybe 2 each. one person mashing the upcoming batch, the other boiling or cleaning/preparing.

i stopped considering it when i had a close friend ask me to help him make one and it was clearly a semi-party situation involving drinking primarily.

i think thats the obvious answer for almost everyone here anyway.

In my case, not so. We were all coordinated and worked together fairly well.

But other issues came up that were not related to beer, and brewing. It ultimately caused problems, although they were minor ones.

Now brewing solo, with some help from my wife, is far less stressful for both of us.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2021, 07:40:24 pm »
That's good it's supposed to be fun!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline lennyusefof

• 1st Kit
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2021, 05:49:17 pm »
Before I switched to an electric brew system I always needed a brew buddy to help with a lot of the lifting. Brewed 10 gallon batch spare with no pumps meant a lot of heavy lifting. Now a days I brew mostly solo. My wife will come in at the end to help me regulate the flow through the counterflow while I make sure the wort makes into the carboy...and I think she secretly likes being part of it.

I don't mind having someone around while I brew, if they are going to help. Entertaining while brewing leads to mistakes.

Lenny

Offline MeMa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2021, 05:53:36 am »
Now I have a Grainfather i tend to brew solo

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2021, 05:28:12 pm »
With the electric brewery in the basement, I’m quite comfortable brewing alone.  I have brewed outside at another HB club member’s garage, but I did notice a lot of distractions for him.  Nevertheless, I’d still like to try a brew day with another club member - after COVID, will probably give it a go.