Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with friends, or brewing solo?  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Brewing with friends, or brewing solo?
« on: November 01, 2020, 12:11:37 pm »
Having brewed with friends for nearly a year, yesterday I decided to man-up and brew 10 gallons of O-Fest single handed.

It was no more difficult, and did not take much more time. Actually, in many ways it was less challenging.

What do you all do...brew with friends, or solo?

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Brewing with friends, or brewing solo?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 12:17:49 pm »
I brew solo. I generally brew on a day off during the week and start while making breakfast for my son. That's not particularly conducive to a group brew. Plus, I think of my beers as my own creations, and I tend to hoard the creative process to myself (sort of like songwriting).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 12:18:21 pm »
I usually brew starting at 4 or 5 AM. Not many of my friends are even awake at that time.  I have done a few brew sessions with friends over and very much prefer to go at it solo.  Just too many distractions with others around.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 12:21:19 pm »
I do it on Friday nights while my girlfriend covers local sports events. It's my "moment of zen"

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 12:35:28 pm »
99.9% of the time I do it solo and prefer it that way.  Once in a while I have people over when I brew.  On those days, the beer turns out to be whatever it wants to be and the day is about the people, not the beer.  I don't really need help.  I can whip out 15 gal. in 4.5 hours, same as 5 gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 12:45:31 pm »
I usually brew early in the AM so rarely do I have anyone with me when I brew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 01:15:23 pm »
I brew alone almost always. I enjoy it as my “me time”. I occasionally brew at club brew event and I almost always forget something and the brew turns out less than stellar. Like Denny said, I look at it as a way to socialize with club members and try not to worry about the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 01:21:57 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. My friends and I formed a garage brewery, "Bel Air Brewing". But after going it alone yesterday, I might offer to buy them out. It was less headache for me, and especially for my wife.

When we brew as a team (3 of us), it does work out Ok as we all do different things...such as cleaning up as we go along. Spreading the chores out is a nice thing.

Lifting 7.5 gallons of wort, and placing it in the fermentation freezer, it the big issue. My wife did assist with this. But she is 5' 2", and weighs 112 lbs. Not extra strong!

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 04:56:13 pm »
I usually brew alone.  Most of my friends don't have much of an interest.  The friends I have that do brew are usually busy with family stuff, etc.

For me brew day is much faster and easier if I get someone to come by.  I brew in my garage, so there's a lot of running back and forth to the kitchen.  Brew day becomes way easier when there's an extra set of hands just to save some trips, help with cleanup, etc.  But again, I do usually brew alone, and am perfectly fine with that.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 05:03:17 pm »
I prefer to brew alone unless I’m at some sort of club event.  I tend to be busy for the entire session, either with prepping the next step or doing something useful around the house.  Having a friend over slows me down a bit as well as encouraging me to start drinking earlier.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 05:13:12 pm »
I brew solo. I don’t have as much time alone as I would like anyway. I listen to podcasts, usually political, and clean as I go.
I have found it enjoyable teaching some friends how to brew. It’s relaxing to watch them clean up.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 05:34:29 pm »
Having time is not an issue with us, as we are all airline pilots with very flexible schedules. Can pilots make good beer? Absolutely!

Yes, an extra set of hands is nice. My wife offered to help out yesterday as she prefers that I brew solo. Makes less cleanup for her when it's all over.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:37:48 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 05:47:38 pm »
I would love one of those super hot dishwashers restaurants use in my brew room. Load it up and set it and forget it

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 05:57:08 pm »
I would love one of those super hot dishwashers restaurants use in my brew room. Load it up and set it and forget it

I can't count the number of times I've had glasses that smelled like barfed up Asiago cheese even in really nice restaurants. I don't think I'd trust any dishwasher over a hot PBW soak followed by some elbow grease for my brewing equipment.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 05:59:39 pm »
I'm more of a gouda man!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 06:01:14 pm by Oiscout »