Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Line Cleaning (Draft Beer)  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Line Cleaning (Draft Beer)
« on: October 27, 2020, 01:41:56 pm »
So another question on cleaning...

How often do you clean your beer lines in your draft system? Every 4 weeks? After each keg? Every other keg?

I have had draft beer in my house since 1987. The lines get cleaned, but not frequently. Probably every two months.

How much impact do dirty lines have on beer flavor?

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Beer Line Cleaning (Draft Beer)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 01:57:34 pm »
I do it after every keg.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 02:45:06 pm »
I think there are several conversations about this.  I think it depends on your lines.  The softer, thicker lines will absorb more than the Bevflex stuff that is thinner and harder.  I also don't think that there is one correct answer except "as often as is necessary".  But one thing I do know is that funk can be in your beer lines and make you think that your beer is contaminated or just generally wrong.  Then you may clean your lines and realize the beer is just fine.  I went for maybe six months without issue and then cleaned them twice within a month.  I have four lines running at all times and my taps are in the bar and the draft fridges are on the other side of the wall so cleaning the lines is a bit of effort.  I have an empty keg right now so this weekend sounds like a good time for it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 02:48:35 pm »
I thought my beer had developed on "off" flavor, but after cleaning the lines it was fine.
BLC is what I use. Probably should clean more often, as it is suggested to clean at least every two weeks.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:58:44 pm »
Flavor impact depends on a lot of factors including what is growing in the line. I have had beers from horribly infected lines with lots of DMS in bars and even taprooms. At home, the infections have been subtle, just a feeling that the beer now is not as good as it was 2 weeks ago.  I usually clean lines when the keg kicks.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 03:36:27 pm »
Flavor impact depends on a lot of factors including what is growing in the line. I have had beers from horribly infected lines with lots of DMS in bars and even taprooms. At home, the infections have been subtle, just a feeling that the beer now is not as good as it was 2 weeks ago.  I usually clean lines when the keg kicks.

In bars, I always ask if the beer I order is the first pull of the day. The bartender is advised that I would like the second pint out of the tap, not the first one. The beer that sits in the lines is not as good, for some reason.

That's why all the bartenders in Europe allow the beer to run free for a few seconds before placing the glass under the tap.

BTW...I was the winner of the Bartender Beer Pouring contest at the Heineken Brewery in Amsterdam.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 03:48:29 pm »
I clean the beer line after every keg.

How often does the CO2 line need to be cleaned?  I clean mine...every now and then.  :-\

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 10:26:34 am »
The instructions say to recirculate the BLC through the beer lines for 15 minutes. Has anyone devised a pump to do this? Maybe an aquarium pump?

Offline Jimandi Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 05:00:41 pm »
I clean my lines once a month whether they need it or not (ha ha!) and I totally agree that the best advice is "when they need it". Don't forget to periodically disassemble and thoroughly clean your taps. I gave the lines a good 15 minutes of recirculating line cleaner only to discover an extraordinary amount of black gunk in the taps which the cleaner missed even though I occasionally worked the taps on and off while the cleaner flowed.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 05:02:52 pm »
The instructions say to recirculate the BLC through the beer lines for 15 minutes. Has anyone devised a pump to do this? Maybe an aquarium pump?

No and the set up to do it is really expensive. Just letting the soak has always worked well for me.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 05:15:12 pm »
I fill a keg with blc and use a few psi to slowly push it through into a bucket under the tap.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 06:45:08 pm »
Ordered a nice aquarium pump from Amazon. $40.
It was recommended on another brew site.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 10:01:30 pm »
I clean the lines after every keg. I also push Cleaner through with A 2.5 gallon keg with CO2.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Brent

• 1st Kit
  • TenSpeed Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 08:25:31 am »
Every three to four months. But I flush with hot water a keg changeover.
Brent

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 10:37:10 am »
If I have to clean the keg that I'm replacing, I might as well clean the lines too. I typically fill my keg with hot PBW, run about a quart through the line, let them both sit for an hour, then flush again. Then water, then Star San. Every 2nd or 3rd time I change a keg I will use BLC instead of PBW. This works for me because I don't typically have "extra" kegs that are full and waiting for a spot in my kegerator. When a new beer is ready to keg, I usually take the keg that's closest to empty in my kegerator and empty/clean/purge it right when I keg my new batch. I guess I need to drink more :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer