Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation buckets  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Fermentation buckets
« on: October 05, 2020, 07:20:36 pm »
I purchased a 6.5-gallon HDPE bucket to use as a primary fermenter.  I have not used a bucket for primary fermentation since my third batch. However, when I specified my requirements for a fermentation vessel, the lowly plastic bucket was the only fermentation vessel that came close to meeting them. The most critical requirement is that I need to be able to carry my fermentation vessel from my garage down into my basement while using only one hand going down stairs. I am reaching an age where I need to use the handrail, especially on stairs with small treads.  A plastic bucket also has the advantage of being able to carry it with a solid lid and then switch out to a drilled lid.  This decision was not easy for me to make because I have always considered buckets to be on the bottom of the heap.  I thought about using one of this no-chill cubes to transport wort down into my basement and then transferring to a little less ghetto fermentation vessel, but then I would have to clean and sanitize two containers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:10:38 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentation buckets
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:53:17 pm »
I have a 6.5 gallon bucket for my occasional 5 gallon batches. The only negatives: the handle digs into my hands when carrying it full and getting the lid off is a bit of a pain.

Carrying 5 gallons of beer down a flight of stairs is tough. Be careful.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:22:14 pm »
Have you considered a hand truck? I've been using one to haul fermenters around for several years.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:54:45 pm »
I've been using the same bucket I bought with a brew kit when I started brewing eleven years ago. I've killed off infections in it and brewed everything from one to five gallons in it. It's my trusty fermentation vessel for anything not sour/brett that is more than a gallon. I know people dump on them because there's no cool factor with a bucket but unless you transfer under pressure or you are aging fragile beers they cannot be beat for their ease of use.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 07:07:58 am »
Since I’ve eliminated lifting hot water chest high with a pump, because I use a BrewBucket with two side handles carrying the FV downstairs without access to the handrail is probably the riskiest thing I do on brewday.

I’ve considered, then quickly dismissed, running a hose from the brewhaus down to the FV in the basement.

Then I’ve thought a simpler solution may be to rack to a keg which is easier to carry one handed and then push the wort into the FV with CO2. ...but then I would loose the dead space of the keg and ferment less than my desired 5.5 gal.

I need some sort of trolly or dumb waiter. One of those stair climbing hand trucks might work. I could sell it to the finance committee as a way to get seasonal decorations up and down the stairs.

...of course a bucket is a whole lot cheaper and could aid in further trüb removal if I let the wort settle and rack carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 08:44:24 am »
Have you considered a hand truck? I've been using one to haul fermenters around for several years.

Down stairs?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 09:52:10 am »
If you ferment in a keg, you could seal it and roll it down the stairs  ;D

I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but I could forsee a future where I put some padding at the bottom of my basement stairs and give this a try.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:48 am »

Down stairs?

A lot of hand trucks wheels are designed to go up/down stairs.  Granted, you have to be cautious when navigating a full flight.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 10:52:36 am »
I've been using the same bucket I bought with a brew kit when I started brewing eleven years ago.

Same here.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 11:07:11 am »

Down stairs?

A lot of hand trucks wheels are designed to go up/down stairs.  Granted, you have to be cautious when navigating a full flight.
I found this on YouTube. https://youtu.be/huZ2ZnO2630

I was amazed.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 11:18:14 am »
Since I’ve eliminated lifting hot water chest high with a pump, because I use a BrewBucket with two side handles carrying the FV downstairs without access to the handrail is probably the riskiest thing I do on brewday.

I’ve considered, then quickly dismissed, running a hose from the brewhaus down to the FV in the basement.

Then I’ve thought a simpler solution may be to rack to a keg which is easier to carry one handed and then push the wort into the FV with CO2. ...but then I would loose the dead space of the keg and ferment less than my desired 5.5 gal.

I need some sort of trolly or dumb waiter. One of those stair climbing hand trucks might work. I could sell it to the finance committee as a way to get seasonal decorations up and down the stairs.

...of course a bucket is a whole lot cheaper and could aid in further trüb removal if I let the wort settle and rack carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kegs are available in bigger sizes.
Also, is “finance committee” a euphemism for “spouse?”
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 11:43:02 am »

Down stairs?

Yeah, I know, I've done it.  But with a bucket of liquid?  Even covered, I see the bumps on the stairs as a problem.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 12:00:36 pm »

Down stairs?

Yeah, I know, I've done it.  But with a bucket of liquid?  Even covered, I see the bumps on the stairs as a problem.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  Then again, I guess you just have to weigh that against the potential dangers of carrying down the stairs.  I would think as long as you have a good seal on the lid and strap the bucket to the hand truck the worry of spilling is reduced.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 04:12:58 pm »

The only hand trucks that I know of that are equipped to go downstairs are designed for delivering appliances.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 04:13:55 pm »

Down stairs?

Ah, I see what you're saying.  Then again, I guess you just have to weigh that against the potential dangers of carrying down the stairs.  I would think as long as you have a good seal on the lid and strap the bucket to the hand truck the worry of spilling is reduced.

As one who's done it, I can tell you it ain't easy and it's a mess.  At least when I did it.

www.dennybrew.com