Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Showcase  (Read 35062 times)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
Re: Kegerator Showcase
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:11:19 am »

I also used a 2x6 instead of 2x4. I bought a smaller kegerator, so a 2x6 lets me keep 6.5 gal carboys in it for lagering.

I went with 2X4 due to Texas heat. Originally this thing was going to be in my garage and I wanted to lose as little insulation as possible. I've seen some really nice ones with full panels running the length of the sides to give a nice finish. I'm not that big on aesthetics.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:14 am »
I also used a 2x6 instead of 2x4. I bought a smaller kegerator, so a 2x6 lets me keep 6.5 gal carboys in it for lagering.
I went with 2X4 due to Texas heat. Originally this thing was going to be in my garage and I wanted to lose as little insulation as possible. I've seen some really nice ones with full panels running the length of the sides to give a nice finish. I'm not that big on aesthetics.
I used two 2x4s stacked, and then covered it with a stained/sealed piece of 1"x8" clear pine.  Some trim pieces on the top and bottom to make it look a little nicer.  I needed the extra room to fit kegs on the compressor, so now I can fit 5 in there.  Unfortunately my new 5-way secondary regulator doesn't fit very well, so I'll probably be taking the collar off and redoing it with something to give me even more height.  It's either that or take a keg out  :o
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 06:05:59 pm »
I, like many around here, found a chest freezer on Craigslist and converted it to be a kegerator. My last stand up fridge had 5 taps, so I needed to get a freezer that held at least the same number.

I wanted the collar to be a more "finished," so I covered the 2x6 rough pine collar with a cherry-stained 1x6 pine finish boards cut at a mitre. I trimmed out the rest of the collar with pine corner trim and 1/2 in' trim on the inside:

Actually, if I pushed it, this one could hold eight taps, providing I use the 3 gallon ball lock kegs to sit on the compressor hump. Otherwise, I've got room for one more 5 gallon corney.

The CO2 tank is on the outside and feeds two 3-way manifolds. Tubing is secured to the collar via plumbing collars.

Two day project. Easy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:08:17 pm by brewblogger »

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 06:36:23 pm »
Very pretty . . nice tap handles!
Just brew it...

beveragebob

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 12:00:52 am »
Awesome craftsmanship. My only questions are how does the wood hold the moisture effect and are there any insulation issues? It looks like you have a clod hose passthrough no doubt running off a blower in the cold box. I'll have to post pics of mine but, I was lazy and everything was store bought.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 12:41:36 am »
Here's the pics of mine.  Like I said, 2 2x4s stacked to bump up the space, with 1x8 clear pine around the outside.  This lets me stack kegs on the compressor, but I didn't leave much room so now my new 5 way secondary regulator doesn't quite fit.  I could remove a keg to make room, but who wants to do that?

Tom Schmidlin

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 06:39:31 am »
Here's the pics of mine.  Like I said, 2 2x4s stacked to bump up the space, with 1x8 clear pine around the outside.  This lets me stack kegs on the compressor, but I didn't leave much room so now my new 5 way secondary regulator doesn't quite fit.  I could remove a keg to make room, but who wants to do that?

Good plan! My solution to the compressor hump was to buy a half dozen 3 gallon kegs. Glad I did it when they were affordable!  :D
Just brew it...

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:06 pm »
Nice job with the collars & sleeves guys! You guys are obviously more motivated than myself, as I just use the ever faithful $1.29ยข picnic tap. Truly lame, I know.  :-[ 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »
Awesome craftsmanship. My only questions are how does the wood hold the moisture effect and are there any insulation issues? It looks like you have a clod hose passthrough no doubt running off a blower in the cold box. I'll have to post pics of mine but, I was lazy and everything was store bought.

On the inside of the collar I used oil-based KILZ - no insulation issues at all. I used industrial grade foam weather stripping between the freezer and the collar, along with a healthy dose of silicone caulk all around the inside, just be extra sure.

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »
Alright internet friends! I'm working on some craiglist's transactions and I will hopefully have the fundage to buy a chest freezer for fermentation and eventually keggeration. What sizes should I be looking for? Is there such thing as overkill or is bigger better?

I have 3 potential candidates one is 12 cubic ft, another is 42" Wide, 22" deep, 36" tall (similar size in cubic feet I believe), and a 15.7 cubic ft chest freezer.

What are other considerations besides size that I should be looking into to?
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Online dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 05:06:17 pm »
Always go for the biggest size that will fit and is newest. I've never heard anyone lamenting that their chest freezer is too damn big. :)

Old ones may seem like a bargain but then you start seeing the difference in monthly power costs the gap disappears rapidly.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

Mine is a 12.8 cu ft sheathed in oak plywood with a solid oak collar
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:53 am »
Here's the inside with a bunch of bottled beer stored in the basket and on top of the kegs.  Also I have new tap handles that you can see the backs of.  I glued 1/32" steel strips to a rectangular piece of wood attached to the faucets, then I bought sheets of thick magnet paper to use as labels.  It's easy to change the labels as needed.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo65/rocdoc1/my%20beer%20stuff/Oktoberfest2009002.jpg[/IMG]
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17:39 am »
Here's the inside with a bunch of bottled beer stored in the basket and on top of the kegs.  Also I have new tap handles that you can see the backs of.  I glued 1/32" steel strips to a rectangular piece of wood attached to the faucets, then I bought sheets of thick magnet paper to use as labels.  It's easy to change the labels as needed.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo65/rocdoc1/my%20beer%20stuff/Oktoberfest2009002.jpg[/IMG]

Time to party!

By the way...Nice kegerator!  8)
Ron Price

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:33 am »
Always go for the biggest size that will fit and is newest. I've never heard anyone lamenting that their chest freezer is too damn big. :)

Old ones may seem like a bargain but then you start seeing the difference in monthly power costs the gap disappears rapidly.

Good call, I didn't even think about power consumption as a long term cost. Newest and biggest, check.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF