Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kveik impressions  (Read 13980 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: kveik impressions
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2021, 11:08:40 am »
I recently brewed a mock Pilsner using Lutra. I can definitely tell the difference between it and other pale lagers I have on tap that were brewed cold using lager yeast. That being said, the Lutra beer is quite clean and enjoyable. The thing is, it took about 6 weeks of cold conditioning to finish cleaning up and hit its peak. That right there pretty much negates the week or so I saved during primary fermentation by using Lutra instead of something like 34/70. I won't rule out using Lutra again, but I don't see a permanent spot for it in my toolbox based on this brew.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2021, 08:22:33 pm »
That's funny, I recently made a voss hoppy cream ale and it didn't get really good until about 6 weeks in the keg. Didn't love it but I might use it again someday.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Bomar

• 1st Kit
I have had excellent results w/ Kviek as a sacc starter for my bretts. I pitch Kviek and a good Omega brett yeast in a 14 gallon run. The Kviek eats all the low hanging fruit and the brett comes in to clean up. 1 month of aging and I end up with a  dry perfect belgian style beer with the selected hop notes right up front. So.....kviek is the best starter yeast for my brett overlay.......It really does an amazing job at cleaning up the initial fermentables......!!!!!

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2021, 05:20:22 pm »
I just wanted to add another Kveiky data point here.  (Namely, VOSS)

I brewed a 5-grain Vienna-leaning recipe that I've intended for a berry saison; it's mostly barley (27% MG-Vanora, 27% Briess Full Pint, 9% Munich), but also with some Rye, Wheat, Spelt, and Oats (3%) too.  [It was partly an effort to use up a few odds and ends of grains leftover from other recipes.]

I split it into two fermenters; one was Lallmand Voss Kveik (pitched dry from packet), the other a saison slurry I've been nursing for a while (at this generation, an unknowable combination of Belle Saison and Fermentis BE-134).

OG: 1.060.  The saison slurry took it down to 1.006 (90%), the Kveik-Voss took it down to 1.010 (83%).  Both were in the FVs for 25 days before bottling, though they were both done & ready at 10 days (the Kveik may have been ready at 5 days, bubbling was all done at 3 days, and it was crystal clear at 5.  Didn't measure gravity until 10 days.)  Fermenting temp was 68F throughout.

After bottle conditioning for a month, I've tried the first Kveik Voss, and it was...  well, unremarkably decent.  Nothing in particular stood out as nice, or fine, or great...  just solid, no flaws, and eminently slammable.  I could knock back about 5 of these without thinking twice - but also without really noticing anything about it worth complimenting, other than it being "good beer." 

Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed at first, as it was the first beer I've made that didn't have something noteworthy to comment about it, flavorwise.  But it's a good beer, and I will enjoy the remaining bottles, I'm sure.  Just no character.

ETA: oh, I hopped it to about 42 IBUs (I can't recall which hops I used, probably Styrian Golding and Crystal, IIRC) and was surprised at how little hop character there was.  Which made my wife happy, but I was expecting more hops character.  ???

I have not yet sampled the first saison from this split batch for comparison, but that will be interesting.  In coming weeks, I'll do a side-by-side tasting with some friends to see what they think.

So far, I am impressed with its speed (even at 68F!), but I don't know that I'd use it much in the future.  Granted, I should try to hotbox a batch at 75F-80F degrees or more to really exploit its notable features, but my basement just never gets above 68 at the hottest times of the summer.  I'd need to ferment it in a different location on purpose, and that's just not of much interest to me since I enjoy my basement setup as it is.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:43:01 pm by ScallyWag »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2021, 07:50:49 pm »
Just got this in today from Ritebrew. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to brew recently. This seems like a good option for a fast turnaround extract porter.

As an aside, in looking at the specs, this also seems like a great option for distillers.
Eric B.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2021, 03:25:06 am »
Just got this in today from Ritebrew. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to brew recently. This seems like a good option for a fast turnaround extract porter.

As an aside, in looking at the specs, this also seems like a great option for distillers.

Didn't know it was available as dried.
Just ordered 2 from RiteBrew (never ordered from them before).
https://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/830307.htm
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 06:00:51 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »

I have considered using kviek in the distillery but ,pre for its ester profile and low fusels/higher heat tolerance not because of it's All. tolerance. Whiskey distillers usually go with a lower ABV wash to avoid unwanted fusels/flavors. Vodka though ...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2021, 01:19:50 pm »

I have considered using kviek in the distillery but ,pre for its ester profile and low fusels/higher heat tolerance not because of it's All. tolerance. Whiskey distillers usually go with a lower ABV wash to avoid unwanted fusels/flavors. Vodka though ...
My thoughts are that you might be able to get turbo yeast performance without turbo yeast off-flavors on a 12-14% molasses wash.
Eric B.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2021, 02:56:32 am »
Lutra plan:

Normally the wort is dropped lower than basement temps prior to pitching yeast, temp slowly rises.
Currently the basement temp is 65 f.  With Lutra the wort will be dropped to the higher
end of its range (low 80's) prior to pitching yeast, temp will slowly lower.  With clever negotiating (ok pleading)
with SWMBO the fermenter will begin its journey upstairs for a few days before being
moved to basement.  The 20L (5.3g) speidel has handles and can easily be moved.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:29:51 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2021, 04:23:50 pm »
how fast does hops drop off in flavor/aroma if you expose the beer to a little o2 during say opening keg and adding dry hops? i am still tryng to tweak my methods and of coarse minimize o2 but in my case kegs last a few days around here probably not a real concern for my situation

Ya know what?  I do what I can and don't worry about the rest.  Sure, I want to make the best beer I can, but within the constraints of it being a hobby I want to enjoy.  If you're stressing over something, you're doing it wrong.  For me, enjoyment of the process is primary.  Beer itself takes a back seat to that.

Me too. Just gave away 10 gallons of Festbier. And kegged 10 gallons of Vienna Lager today, and will keg 10 gallons of Pilsner in a few days.
I enjoy brewing more than I enjoy drinking.

Kveik? I’m glad we don’t use it.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2022, 05:00:16 pm »
know i already said in another thread, but im likely going to end up dumping a fair bit of the other, much more expensive batch of kveik IPA i made.

i literally have never focused on dumping bad batches before, but i can not enjoy this voss kveik. just tastes super dusty, unpleasant twiggy, sour fruit esters and does not make the beer enjoyable.

first beer was worse since i didn't use gelatin on it and it ended up very hazy.  second one just has these unpleasant flavours, i also perceive that it gives stronger hangovers than other beers somehow after a few nights where i drank a bunch of them.

this was the dry voss kveik and i followed recommended kveik nutrient aids during fermentation, don't feel i made any major mistakes to explain these problems. people online also said it was a strong flocculator, so i expected that, but it was not at all.

very disappointed and would be unlikely to try any other kveik again, even though i do hear theyre different.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2022, 08:41:18 pm »
I’ve never been impressed with kviek beer although I’ve never brewed with it. Don’t understand the appeal unless you don’t have the ability ferment cooler 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2022, 06:01:18 am »
My verdict on the Kviek is: meh.  Evidently, I’ve not used it enough to get good at it.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2022, 07:48:40 am »
#mehtoo

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2022, 02:10:39 pm »
I had used Kveik [Voss] only a few brews, and every one had been disappointing although still drinkable/enjoyable.  Just nowhere near as good as if I had used a different yeast.

However, I decided to give it one last try, in a split-batch competing against Belle Saison, for a tropical rye saison that was fairly hoppy despite it's 41 IBUs (with a fair amount of hops a few minutes after flameout).   Talked about it here a bit just after brew-day:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18036.msg479567#msg479567

The upshot is, the Kveik-Voss version turned out amazing.  Frankly, one of the best beers I've made (granted, I'm nowhere near as experienced as many others here.)  Maybe my best ever. 

Now, I don't know whether to keep pressing my luck with Voss, or just cash in my chips and walk away on a win.   :-\  I almost wish it had sucked because then it would be consistent with my prior Kveik batches. 

Saving the slurry in the fridge for now.  Might use it on a high gravity wheatwine down the road.  Or not.