Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 400 year old buttered beer recipe  (Read 1764 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
400 year old buttered beer recipe
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:06:45 pm »
I've never tried to make a buttered (butter) beer.  But if I was going to, I think this is the recipe I would follow.

https://youtu.be/ZlMhZvOX2ps

While watching this video, you do have to allow for certain things.  For example, he says to use a British ale for the recipe, and then you see him pouring in a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. ;D

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: 400 year old buttered beer recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:26:23 pm »
This looks interesting, if a bit gross. I think I would try it with a malty brown or amber ale. Maybe something like Boont Amber or Moose Drool.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:23:48 pm »
143 views and 1 response prior to mine. With all due respect to the OP, I think, in my opinion, that the idea is pretty nasty sounding. I must admit though, I didn't look at the link.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 05:43:31 pm »
I don't think the lack of responses is because people find the idea nasty.  I think it's because the butter beer fad has been gone for quite some time.  Except for people out there who are still throwing Harry Potter parties.

As I said, I never made one before.  But this was definitely the most interesting take on the idea that I ever saw.  That was the reason for posting it.

If I do ever get around to giving this a shot, I'd probably use an English porter.  I think that would work well as a base with the flavors described in the video.

Offline alirafami

• 1st Kit
    • لیزر بیکینی
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 10:13:43 am »
 I've just made this and I gotta say I love it. It was a bit too sweet with half an lb of demerara sugar but I figure to tweak it a bit next time. I used Newcastle brown ale and it does the trick. I will try other British beers next time.

Offline jeaneallenn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »
 ::) Interesting...
Noted, it's on my pipeline. I will try in the future.
Helloportable.com

Offline jeaneallenn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 12:09:06 am »
I've never tried to make a buttered (butter) beer.  But if I was going to, I think this is the recipe I would follow.

https://youtu.be/ZlMhZvOX2ps

While watching this video, you do have to allow for certain things.  For example, he says to use a British ale for the recipe, and then you see him pouring in a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. ;D
??? ::) thats really interesting.
Helloportable.com

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:17:17 am »
Sounds like hot buttered rum ... but with beer. Could be tasty with the right base. I doubt Sierra Nevada PA would taste very good, but a Scotch ale or a malty English cask ale could be pleasant.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:47 am »
I am more interested in the double double beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk