Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you are at home because of the virus and what are you going to brew?  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
I'm on the remote work plan right now.  My wife is also home since the schools are closed for a month.  My youngest is home from college and we will be moving all her stuff home on Saturday now that the college is closing the campus and only doing online teaching.  What a strange year.

All that said, I'm setup to brew a couple of beers this weekend (not recalling which ones right now).  Everything except the water is prepped and ready to go.  Since our last LHBS closed last Fall and I stocked up on ingredients in Omaha I have grain and hops to burn, if I only had the time.

Thunderstorms today but the weekend is supposed to be clear.  It might be nice to be on the "non-essential" list for a while during this, I have a side walk to pour and all the normal yard work to do.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
I brewed my first ever Marzen (after all, it’s March) and it’s currently fermenting away in my new SS Brew Bucket.  Love the Tilt Hydrometer to help me determine when to do the diacetyl rest.  Will most likely do a Kolsch next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Looking forward to brewing for the first time this month.  Busy at work by phone and email, though I expect a major slowdown approaching where even the office will close.  Thinking of brewing an Altbier, as I judged one in a competition last week that was spectacular - though hoppy (not quite Zum Uerige like), it fit the style beautifully.  Inspiring, so I want to give it a try on Saturday.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Working remotely until the end of the month at least. Pulled my back the other day taking out the recycling though, and I'm low on RO/distilled from the store. Hopefully by I'm feeling better next week to brew a NEIPA (Been trying to clear room from my freezer for baby food).

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Heading home from our two month stay in  FL tomorrow (a week early) because everything here is closing up.  Will be brewing Amarillo IPA, then Irish Red, then Saison while we are voluntarily sequestered at home.

Been retired for 13 year now so have lots of time to brew.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Not a Single "Corona Clone"?
Maybe it's still too soon for humor.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Working mostly remotely for two months. I am very busy helping figure out all sorts of logistics for work at this point. After things settle I hope to have time to brew, garden, burn brush etc. My first brew will be an English Pale ale.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
I'm one of those tasked with turning traditional college courses into on-line courses in a hurry- campus is closed, wife is working from home and our two young kids are home too (what could possible go wrong here?)

To cope/celebrate and 'cuz I want to, I'm finally brewing a couple of recipes from Michael Dawson's "Mash Maker" book- the alt and the wild rice mild.  Cheers to you Mr. Dawson- I miss your on-line presence but am looking forward to tasting these beers!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
I had planned to be busy with the South Regionals judging in Tampa this weekend and next, but since it is cancelled, I have time to brew.  Unfortunately the surgery on my left hand will make it difficult, so maybe next weekend.
I have been working this week (I own a car repair shop), but it's been so quiet that I come into contact with very few people.  The commute sure is nice.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
I had planned to be busy with the South Regionals judging in Tampa this weekend and next, but since it is cancelled, I have time to brew.  Unfortunately the surgery on my left hand will make it difficult, so maybe next weekend.
I have been working this week (I own a car repair shop), but it's been so quiet that I come into contact with very few people.  The commute sure is nice.
I’m stuck at home. Shelter in place for Illinois.  My chance to brew as all the kids activities have come to a halt.  Saison and stout hopefully tomorrow
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
I'm back to work for 3 days starting Sunday as I'm considered 'essential'.  Found time to brew a Vienna Lager today.  Hoping to brew a pandemic porter soon as after Tuesday I'm off for 20 days.  Just read that my LHBS here in NorCal is still open as their interpretation is that they are a food ingredient supplier and thus exempt from the statewide mandate of closing down non essential businesses.  They're only allowing 1 patron in the shop at a time and are encouraging people to order online and they will do curbside pick up.  I'm hoping to head over tomorrow to get what I need so I'll be able to brew the porter next week if they end up shutting down for a while.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
Great time to try bottle spunding since people are around to catch the ferment at the right time.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
I’m recently retired with about two years of “honey-do’s” to complete in my spare time.  Tomorrow, however, I plan on brewing a relatively uncommon beer; I’ll be brewing an Amber Kellerbier .  My LHBS has shifted to a “shipping only” supplier.  But fortunately I was able to get all my supplies beforehand.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline RandyH

• 1st Kit
 Just got told to work from home next week and expect that we will be doing that for a while! Luckier than a lot, still working. I have my forth batch in my small 3 gal ferment-er now, and it looks as if it is doing well, stalled out after 2 days, warmed it a couple of degrees and it finished up. been in six days today, bubbler stopped yesterday. will give it another week then bottle. my last batch had some awful SOUR flavor, and isn't good. First two were good, third bad and forth tasted great as wort, will see!
Thinking of ordering supplies on line

Randy

Offline riceral

• Brewer
A local brewery has a Bo Pils that has been great. That and the talk on the other thread about a dark Czech pils made me want to try my hand at making one. So, tomorrow I making a Czech premium lager. Sorry Annie---no decoction. 😁
Ralph R.