Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weed Hops  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Dustin Patterson

• 1st Kit
Weed Hops
« on: January 25, 2020, 04:30:10 pm »
So I was thinking that I would like to brew an IPA that is super weed like. I’m thinking maybe 3 to 4 different strains. What do y’all suggest for the most marijuana like hop strains?

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Weed Hops
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
It's been a long time since I partook.  I understand that the cannabis revolution has resulted in an explosion of flavor and aroma so I can't suggest a hop. How about the real deal?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:45:27 pm »
It's been a long time since I partook.  I understand that the cannabis revolution has resulted in an explosion of flavor and aroma so I can't suggest a hop. How about the real deal?

^^^^^^^
   THIS
5 gallon batch will need a1/4 oz of herb and hop as usual for the style.

Offline Dustin Patterson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:40:32 am »
I don’t want to use actual marijuana or hemp. I want to know which hops have the biggest dank aromas.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:15:05 am »
Columbus and Apollo are two that can have that dank aroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline James Jacobson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 05:51:39 pm »
Just had a mosaic smash that was very dank. Used mosaic for the first time yesterday and smelling the pellets it was pretty similar to the beer I had

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:14:34 am »
Columbus, Simcoe, Mosaic blend would be my choice. Maybe throw in a splash of skunk spray too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:16:50 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:50:19 am »
keep in mind sweetwater brewery uses columbus as well as simcoe along with this: to achieve the aroma, our brewers found the perfect botanically-sourced, strain specific terpenes and married them with proprietary natural hemp flavor.

the hops alone won't give you that aroma or taste I bet you're looking for. You need to find terpenes and whatever that 'natural hemp' flavor is... good luck.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline ATField

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 03:11:23 pm »
On this subject, I can help you and inform you about the seedsman coupon code where I found discounts for marijuana seeds orders, which pleasantly surprised me and I did not know that there was such a thing before I found it. In general, I love sales and discounts a lot and that attracts me enormously. Many times I do shopping namely when I see sales because in such moments you save a lot of money and you even get pleasure from shopping, without thinking that a lot of money has been spent.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:46:05 am by ATField »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 06:32:05 pm »
So I was thinking that I would like to brew an IPA that is super weed like. I’m thinking maybe 3 to 4 different strains. What do y’all suggest for the most marijuana like hop strains?
Heady Topper was supposed to be inspired by the dank aromas of weed.  Look up a clone recipe- I can't recall what's in it.

Offline Metrinity

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 01:48:41 am »
That would be a beer I would try by all means. Did you actually make it? What did it taste like? In fact I do admire cannabis a lot. Well if you have arthritis or a medical condition weed is really helpful. My aunt had cervical cancer and it really alleviated her pain. Of course, I have to agree that many times the quality of weed you buy even in the market is awful. I only allowed her to buy from Medical marijuana dispensary Deerfield mainly because my doctor recommended it as the best source. He actually told me that in edible forms it's much better as you get the full benefits of cannabis. So if you're looking for a quality product I would really recommend this provider.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:36:24 pm by Metrinity »

Offline rayseals

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 09:35:42 pm »
Earlier this year I did a pretty basic pale ale with Comet hops.  It turned out super dank.  Everyone who took a whiff of this beer said it smelled like weed.  The recipe was basically 76% Avangard Pale Ale Malt and 24% Vienna.  I had a bittering charge of Warrior (22 IBU at 60).  1 oz Comet at 15 and 1 oz of Comet in the Whirlpool.  That was it.  WLP001.  I could have dry hopped it with Comet.  But I only had 2 ounces of Comet on hand.  I really like this beer.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 06:43:00 pm »
That would be a beer I would try by all means. Did you actually make it? What did it taste like? In fact I do admire cannabis a lot. Well if you have arthritis or a medical condition weed is really helpful. My aunt had cervical cancer and it really alleviated her pain. Of course, I have to agree that many times the quality of weed you buy even in the market is awful. I only allowed her to buy from Medical marijuana dispensary Deerfield mainly because my doctor recommended it as the best source. He actually told me that in edible forms it's much better as you get the full benefits of cannabis. So if you're looking for a quality product I would really recommend this provider.
Wow!  I had no idea whose product I should spend my hard-earned money on so thanks!  Too bad this has nothing whatsoever to do with the original post.  I guess I'll buy some of that awesome cannabis and forget all about it.  Super!

Offline DanVanceZsrW

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58:22 am »
Personally, I'm not much of an aroma fan, I can appreciate them, but I just prefer the real stuff. Though probably I don't smoke as much as I used to, but I'm not even sure, to be honest. I actually find that it makes me enjoy the little activities in life a lot more. Of course, I only smoke in moderate quantities so I can still work as I should. At the moment I'm trying to read more about the process of opening a dispensary in Los Angeles and so far after going through a lot of online resources, I think it's definitely the next step in my career. It's just incredible to be able to combine something you genuinely enjoy, with a source of income, not even to mention that it's something that's helping the community on a super important level, easy access to safe products. You can check this site if you are interested in the whole process because I'm not really great at explaining stuff and it's what I use to get informed as well. Though the finished dispensary will definitely have an abundance of aromas, so I'll still follow this thread.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:19:39 am by DanVanceZsrW »