Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Babalu  (Read 153471 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: Babalu
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2010, 05:33:00 pm »
Raising some Bell's THA right now (man, I gotta brew). Go Jeff, we're pullin' fer ya!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »
Been thinking of Babalu all week. Get well soon bro.

Looking this stuff up I found this. Looks like he is in the news:  http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/24788355/detail.html
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »
It's hitting all the local news sources now.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
Get well, friend.

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 06:57:22 pm »
Update: 8/28/2010

As I mentioned in the last update, EEE has been confirmed and Jeff has made it through the most dangerous part.  At this point the treatment of Jeff will shift a bit.  Since they know it's EEE and there's no treatment for it, they've discontinued the rest of the antibiotics and antivirals.   They were also able to remove his cooling vest and he's maintaining his own temperature around 99-100 right now.  They'll continue to monitor and support him, but they won't be conducting frequent CT Scans, etc.  So my updates may be less frequent.

The next step for his medical team is to remove the breathing and feeding tubes, which are currently just going through his mouth and down his throat.  They'll give him a tracheotomy and feed him and give him oxygen, if needed, through that.  This will allow them to discontinue all the sedatives, etc. that are needed to keep him from being bothered by the tubes down his throat.  After they discontinue the sedatives, etc., they will try and really wake him.  What I've been praying for is that Jeff opens his eyes, looks around and asks "what the hell are all you people looking at?"  

Obviously there's no way of knowing what effects this infection has caused to Jeff's brain.  So, our thoughts, prayers and positive energy have managed to keep Jeff with us.  Let's get those same thoughts, prayers and positive energy working to bring Jeff completely back, both physically and mentally.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:03:18 pm by frankw »

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »
Prayer sent. Godspeed.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 07:20:24 pm »
May God bless him and allow for him to have a full recovery.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:19 am »
Thoughts are with Jeff.  Frank keeping us informed of his status is appreciated.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 04:21:26 pm »
Continuing to think about Jeff on a daily basis & praying for a full & speedy recovery. GET WELL SOON JEFF!!!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
  • Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 05:19:53 pm »
Just checking in and found this very sad news, but with hopeful updates.  Thanks for posting, Frank.  Best wishes for a full and rapid recovery, Jeff.  Hope you're brewing and enjoying beer again soon.
AHA Member since 1980, Life Member
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild charter member (1986)
AHA Governing Committee (2002 - 2011)
BJCP since 1991, National
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Offline frankw

• Cellarman
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »
Update: 8/30/2010

Not a whole lot to report.  They successfully removed the breathing and feeding tubes and did the tracheotomy to assist with his breathing.  They also inserted a feeding tube directly into his stomach.  They are still assisting his breathing and as I mentioned before, he is and has always been initiating each breath on his own.  They will now start to ween him off the breathing assistance. 

One minor issue is that they think he may be occasionally having, what they're calling, micro seizures.  But there is disagreement within his medical team as to whether they are actually micro-seizures at all.  Either way, they're giving him some antiseizure meds to get rid of them. While they get this squared away, they'll hold off a few more days before they begin the process of trying to wake him up.

So we're back to waiting.  Please keep up the prayers and positive thoughts.

Thanks,

Frank 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:38 pm »
Thanks so much Frank.  We really appreciate your efforts to inform us of Jeff's condition.

Thought and prayers go out to Jeff and his family.
Ron Price

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2010, 07:34:02 pm »
Wow. Haven't logged in for a while. Hope all goes well and you pull through. Our thoughts are with you.

beveragebob

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 03:37:23 am »
I wish Babalu the best and I could not imagine this on my worst enemy. I lived in N. Cali specifically in a location that was known for mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus and my wife and I were bitten on several occasions but, lucky enough not to have contracted anything. If it's a virus, I'm wondering if we are still carrying it in our blood streams. Anyway, I am a relatively new poster on this board and I'd like to get to know who exactly Babalu is. I'm thinking I may know him from another forum under a different handle. Also, if there is any update to his condition, let me know.

A concerned Brewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2010, 09:28:25 am »
Bob, Jeff goes by "Babalu" on several boards.  Don't know if he uses another handle, though.

Frank, thanks for the continuing up dates.  Here's looking forward to Jeff's full recovery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell