Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Other questions regarding keg preparations  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Other questions regarding keg preparations
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:25:53 am »
I'm about a week away from kegging for the first time.  This past Saturday I washed out the kegs with a solution of PBW including running a brush through the dip tubes, rinsed them with hot tap water, and then pressurized the kegs and ran a small quantity of hot water out of each keg.  I then depressurized the kegs, removed the keg lids, poured out the remaining water, and left the kegs to air dry.

Now I notice that  the liquid out draft line going to the picnic tap is still full of tap water.  Will bacteria grow in the water  in the 8 or 10 days before I'm ready to keg and potentially spoil my beer?  I had not planned to use a PBW solution again, but to proceed straight to a star san rinse of the full keg, blow that out with CO 2, and then rack the beer into the kegs.  In the meantime, should I pressurize one of the kegs and blow that line dry (assuming I can do that)?

Also it took a lot of CO2 pressure (more than 25 lbs) to get a good stream of water out of the kegs.  I attribute that to the fact that the rinse water was quite hot and the draft out line was way too long.   I purposefully started with a longer draft line (6 1/2 ft. of 3/8 in ID) so that I will be able to progressively shorten it after my beer reaches equilibrium to where I get a good "pour" rate. 

Your advice please and thanks in advance for your help.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Other questions regarding keg preparations
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:44:08 am »
At this point I would wash again and then sanitize with StarSan just before kegging. Take the dip tubes apart to clean and rinse. In the future wash and rinse your keg then sanitize it, empty the sanitizer and pressurize your keg a little for storage. Eventually buy or make a keg washer. Especially if you accumulate a lot of kegs. It will make the whole process much easier.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 01:05:24 pm »
You can wash again, but if your tap water is chlorinated, and you stored the open keg inverted for drying, I’d just sanitize again. And run the sanitizer out the picnic tap connection....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:50:00 pm »
To your comment about 25lbs. Of pressure needed to get a steady stream; That seems really high even for 6.5 ft of 3/8 inch ID hose. I don’t adjust my regulator down, but I open the valve until I can hear the slightest amount of air running through. If I set it to 25 lbs, liquid blasts out of a 6 ft piece of tubing. Maybe some could advise on how many lbs they set when pushing out cleaner or sanitizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 02:00:07 pm »
To your comment about 25lbs. Of pressure needed to get a steady stream; That seems really high even for 6.5 ft of 3/8 inch ID hose. I don’t adjust my regulator down, but I open the valve until I can hear the slightest amount of air running through. If I set it to 25 lbs, liquid blasts out of a 6 ft piece of tubing. Maybe some could advise on how many lbs they set when pushing out cleaner or sanitizer.

I also question such high pressure.  I try to transfer at 10psi or less.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 03:07:48 pm »

I only use what it needs to push liquid out. I assume you're using a ball lock corny keg. I hook both tubes yo the keg then slowly turn my gas up until liquid flows. 10 pounds max. Double check your posts to make sure there is no obstruction or misalignment of parts.

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:43:39 am »
At this point I would wash again and then sanitize with StarSan just before kegging. Take the dip tubes apart to clean and rinse. In the future wash and rinse your keg then sanitize it, empty the sanitizer and pressurize your keg a little for storage. Eventually buy or make a keg washer. Especially if you accumulate a lot of kegs. It will make the whole process much easier.

+1 on the keg washer!  Its so much nicer to let the pump do the work and sip a beer while its going than to scrub.  I will sanitize my kegs right away after washing them if I know I will use the them in a month or two otherwise I just rinse them and dry them inverted. 

I put 4-6 psi of pressure on them to insure a good seal when sanitized.  I check how much pressure is in them before filling with beer to be sure they don't have a leak.  If they aren't sanitized I leave them open to insure they stay dry.  If you seal it up with any moisture in it that can get funky quick. 
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline kbrand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 03:26:08 pm »

If you seal it up with any moisture in it that can get funky quick. 

I put about 1/2 gallon of starsan solution in my kegs when in storage, is this a bad idea?  I have not noticed anything funky in my stored kegs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 04:11:52 pm »

If you seal it up with any moisture in it that can get funky quick. 

I put about 1/2 gallon of starsan solution in my kegs when in storage, is this a bad idea?  I have not noticed anything funky in my stored kegs.

Although the risk is small, I'd say the benefits are smaller.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 07:34:09 pm »
All I can say is I once cleaned a keg by putting dry powder cleaner in it (don’t recall brand) and filled it with water. I disassembled and soaked the poppets and disconnects in the same solution.

I rinsed it all out — I thought it was very well done. I then sanitized it, removed the sanitizer and store the keg under CO2 pressure.

I transferred beer to it,and when the beer was ready to drink, it had a distinct soapy taste. Despite rinsing and sanitizing there was residual soap I assume from the powder.

I now mix cleaning and sanitizer solution in separate buckets and transfer the solutions to the keg vs mixing it in the keg. I’ve not had the problem since.

I don’t store kegs with cleaner or sanitizer in them. When a keg kicks I leave it as is until ready to clean and fill. I figure the residual beer and CO2 will store it just fine while it waits the short period until I place it back into the rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 04:08:14 pm »
My keg washing and sanitizing procedure incorporates a liquid keg connector with attached hose, with a utility sink faucet connector at the other end.  Fill with hot water from the faucet which fills from the bottom and thoroughly mixes all PBW.  Then after a soak, either dump or transfer to the next keg needing cleaned.  The keg>faucet connector lets me quickly and thoroughly rinse PBW from the keg while holding it upside down, with hot water from the faucet.  Then kegs are refilled with warm water and Star San or SaniClean, with the keg connector left on.  After the keg is full of sanitizer, the faucet end of the keg connector hose is dropped into the sink, which immediately starts a siphon of sanitizer back up through the dip tube, connector and hose.  Pick up the end of the hose and lay it across the top of the keg, to the dip tube and entire connector assembly is full of sanitizer.  After an appropriate soak, dump, or transfer to the next keg to be sanitized.  Sanitized kegs are drained, and filled with CO2 until needed.

I have a keg washer.  Yeah it's cool the way it works, but only makes sense to me to set up if I have a bunch of kegs to clean at once.  My way is quicker and less involved.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 09:58:38 am »

I have a keg washer.  Yeah it's cool the way it works, but only makes sense to me to set up if I have a bunch of kegs to clean at once.  My way is quicker and less involved.

I still clean mine by hand and although I try to be vigilant, I always end up with between 4 and 6 to clean at one time.  I got lucky recently with only three to clean!   :D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:21 am »

I still clean mine by hand and although I try to be vigilant, I always end up with between 4 and 6 to clean at one time.  I got lucky recently with only three to clean!   :D

I clean mine manually too.  I usually wait until I 6 or 7 just to make the 5 1/2 gallons of PBW seem worth the cost.  Ya, I'm cheap like that.  ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 08:02:36 pm »
I also question such high pressure.  I try to transfer at 10psi or less.

I run my system at 5 PSI unless I'm carbonating. When I'm pushing cleaning water out of a keg (about 1 gallon) I open the valve for a few seconds and then it let blow.

25 PSI is way too high for this application. Perhaps the OP's out dip tube is clogged.

Charlie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:04:36 pm by charlie »
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 02:35:16 pm »
I also want to add to storing kegs.  I clean mine with a dairy detergent (bulk milk tank cleaner) rinse well and store them at around 15 psi of CO2.  I sanitize them right before filling them.
I never store kegs with Star San or Saniclean in them.  These two products are acidic and acids and metals do not play well together.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified