Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 619800 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5640 on: July 20, 2024, 10:18:01 am »
You may be one of the people who's hypersensitive to diacetyl so that might be a problem. The way I understand it, it's pretty much impossible to not have any. I'm not sure if you are familiar with this discussion. I know it's old but I think it's still relevant. I probably listen to too many interviews, but I've learned an awful lot from them, even if it is wrong. LOL

https://beersmith.com/blog/2012/01/29/diaceytl-in-beer-with-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-31/

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5641 on: July 20, 2024, 02:35:02 pm »
Dark Ale.  This is pilsner malt, Special B and Midnight Wheat.  Nugget to bitter and then Nugget again late.  1056.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 05:38:00 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5642 on: July 21, 2024, 10:24:43 am »
Dark Ale.  This is pilsner malt, Special B and Midnight Wheat.  Nugget to bitter and then Nugget again late.  1056.

really like the concept. american dark ale got so neglected over the years

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5643 on: July 21, 2024, 11:01:04 am »
Agreed.  I usually make something like this when I have an ale yeast running and if I'm making lagers I might have a Mexican Dark Lager, A Vienna Lager, an "American Bock", a Dunkel, etc.  The idea of an "American Dark" is nice because it feels like a wide-open style.  Nugget hops are clean and mild but you could absolutely take that in a different direction if you wanted.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5644 on: July 21, 2024, 11:23:30 am »

OK, what is an American dark ale? I've never heard that designation before.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5645 on: July 21, 2024, 11:48:28 am »

The Google machine told me this:

American black ale is a specialty beer that can fall under the BJCP category 21B, which is also used for specialty IPAs. It's also sometimes called a Cascadian dark ale or black IPA.

It should also be noted that sometimes I go out into the weeds and just brew something that I envision.  I'm not taking credit for creating this style but I'm also not following any blueprint either.  I'm just creating a recipe. 

In my area is Two Brothers.  Are they nationally known?  Years ago they had a beer called NiteCat.  It looked a lot like the one I posted but they added a lot of Citra at the end so it was like a dark IPA or dark APA.  I thought it was an interesting creation (it may have had some wheat in it too) and I made a version myself a few times.  One of the best parts of brewing is that you can brew what you envision .. say .. a beer that has mushrooms in it.  :O  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5646 on: July 21, 2024, 04:56:12 pm »

The Google machine told me this:

American black ale is a specialty beer that can fall under the BJCP category 21B, which is also used for specialty IPAs. It's also sometimes called a Cascadian dark ale or black IPA.

It should also be noted that sometimes I go out into the weeds and just brew something that I envision.  I'm not taking credit for creating this style but I'm also not following any blueprint either.  I'm just creating a recipe. 

In my area is Two Brothers.  Are they nationally known?  Years ago they had a beer called NiteCat.  It looked a lot like the one I posted but they added a lot of Citra at the end so it was like a dark IPA or dark APA.  I thought it was an interesting creation (it may have had some wheat in it too) and I made a version myself a few times.  One of the best parts of brewing is that you can brew what you envision .. say .. a beer that has mushrooms in it.  :O  :D
This would probably be categorized as an American Amber, per BJCP guidelines
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5647 on: July 21, 2024, 05:02:38 pm »

[/quote]

lol, i just wanted to describe the kind of beer that used a cali/american ale yeast, and was darkened with a good amount of dark crystal and a small amount of a roast malt. that was my own designation to differentiate it from say an english brown ale/dark ale "ale that seems darker than an amber ale"

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5648 on: July 21, 2024, 05:06:16 pm »

I'm enjoying a "session saison" this afternoon - "session" because the starting gravity is only 1.048, but the beer dried out to 1.003, so it comes in at 5.9% abv! I used Lallemand's Belle Saison yeast, alongside a long and low mash and a pound of honey in the boil, to dry things out. Once I got the carbonation dialed in, it's a pretty decent saison.
Details on my blog: https://andybrews.com/2024/07/21/session-saison/
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5649 on: July 21, 2024, 06:02:08 pm »
Sometimes when people ask me, what is this, I find it's just easier to say...

It's Beer...

:D

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5650 on: July 23, 2024, 05:45:13 pm »
American Light Lager

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5651 on: July 25, 2024, 06:24:28 pm »
Stole this recipe off the Briess website.  "Wit"Ness Pale Ale.  Flavored with orange peel, and by mistake I doubled the recipe all except that, so this has 1/2 the orange peel in it.  I'm not sure that's not an improvement, I think less might be more with that. I like subtle additions and I think double the amount might be a little "in-your-face''.  I used fresh though, not dried.  I bought a bag of Clementines and used the peels from those. 

Hazy as all get-out but it's only been in the keg a week at 0c.  I'll be curious to see if this will clear over time (it's got plenty of time since it's not even on tap yet, this is just a trial).  This is really tasty now so if it improves any, it's a home run.  The yeast is WLP400 which looks, smells and tastes quite a bit different from what I'm used to, which is yeasts that settle out very quickly. This obviously does not. Has head retention like you'd expect in a beer with a lot of wheat.  Less color than you'd expect from something with a pound of 55L malt in it. I'd never heard of that Caracrystal Wheat malt before. You can eat that stuff right from the bag. Omg I think that would be dynamite in a Porter or Stout. I had to buy it from a place in TX, nobody else has it. I simply have to make a porter with it. I don't know of any maltster with a product even close to it. So, not an easy one to substitute. 

This is loaded with hop aroma with 8oz of Mandarina Bavaria dry hops. I did 5 days, and very cold, so no additional fermentation with the hops.  I may have run the yeast a little cooler than it calls for, or at least at the low end of the recommended range. I'd have to check my notes on that.  But all in all, I am very impressed.  Mine also ended up a little higher gravity than the recipe estimates.  I'm getting used to that.

https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/recipes/beer/display/witness_pale_ale

Must right click and open in a new window for the pic...

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5652 on: July 25, 2024, 06:28:34 pm »
American Light Lager
What was your malt bill?  I don't think I've ever made a beer with a color that light. And it looks like you've got nice head retention and body too.   

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5653 on: July 26, 2024, 07:58:47 am »
Stole this recipe off the Briess website.  "Wit"Ness Pale Ale.  Flavored with orange peel, and by mistake I doubled the recipe all except that, so this has 1/2 the orange peel in it.  I'm not sure that's not an improvement, I think less might be more with that. I like subtle additions and I think double the amount might be a little "in-your-face''.  I used fresh though, not dried.  I bought a bag of Clementines and used the peels from those. 

This beer sounds amazing! I think the white IPA style is amazingly underappreciated -- it's the kind of hazy that fits my personal tastes. A good wit yeast with well-matched hops can be fantastic. Hopefully your beer continues to shine as it matures!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5654 on: July 26, 2024, 10:04:09 am »
American Light Lager
What was your malt bill?  I don't think I've ever made a beer with a color that light. And it looks like you've got nice head retention and body too.
Malt Bill: 8 lbs Briess Synergy Select Pilsen Maltgerms, 2 lbs Briess Yellow Flaked Corn, 8 oz Weyermann Acid Malt. The beer is clear but it had condensation on the glass.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 10:07:15 am by purduekenn »