Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 608707 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5610 on: July 11, 2024, 07:18:42 pm »
How long since it was packaged?  Maybe give it a bit of time to mellow.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5611 on: July 11, 2024, 09:48:23 pm »
How long since it was packaged?  Maybe give it a bit of time to mellow.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
I was wondering that, but everywhere I read says Hefeweizen should be served as young as possible but never really said how young, I kegged it Sunday morning and it’s just about fully carbed so maybe still a little too early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5612 on: July 12, 2024, 06:41:06 am »
I was wondering that, but everywhere I read says Hefeweizen should be served as young as possible but never really said how young, I kegged it Sunday morning and it’s just about fully carbed so maybe still a little too early?
I don't get too hung up on that stuff.  I kegged some Marzen Wednesday early evening.  Put the gas on at 40psi till yesterday morning and took it off before going to work.  Tested the beer when I got home last night. Is it young? Sure.  It's still good, and it is still educational to taste the beer throughout its life. It was lagered in the primary, that's not an issue. Nobody says you can't drink it, it's your beer.

"Young as possible" to me means carb it and tap it. I have numerous beers on tap and I rarely drink the same thing 2 glasses in a row, so it'll have plenty of time to age and for me to watch how it progresses in flavor.  This is most noticeable in the first days, so for that reason I like to try at least part of a glass every day.  If I decide "this style really isn't good for x weeks", then next time that'll be the policy on that. No big deal.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5613 on: July 12, 2024, 06:50:58 am »
Sure, you can drink it right out of the fermenter, but if there is a yeasty off flavor letting it mellow *may* help.  Not long, maybe a few days to a week and try it again to see if there is an improvement.

Cheers!

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5614 on: July 12, 2024, 07:05:28 am »
Thank you guys! I will give it some time and see what it does, like I said it is still very drinkable just a slight yeasty flavor that seemed weird. It might only be another day or two for it to go away it’s such a slight yeastyness so thank you both for the input!

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5615 on: July 12, 2024, 11:08:32 am »
My Märzen above was cold crashed for 10 days at -1C and it was a bottom fermenting yeast, so it really hasn't got any yeast flavor to speak of. At least not an undesirable one. I hadn't really intended it to be 10 days but with other things I was doing it just worked out that way. If you have not called crashed it for a while, then there's probably a lot of yeast in suspension and yes you're going to taste it. I would still say if you've not done it before , to try 4 oz of it per day so you get a feel for how quickly that goes away.

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5616 on: July 12, 2024, 11:12:21 am »
I have seen a beer change over the course of a couple weeks just giving it time to clean up after kegging, I thought with Hefeweizen yeast it is suppose to stay kind of in suspension that’s what gives it some of its flavor? Or is that something I’m misinterpreting? Is it just the hefe yeast gives a bunch of flavor and not necessarily that you want to be having yeast in the beer per se?

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5617 on: July 12, 2024, 11:13:40 am »
This is my 20th brew so I have some experience with the age of yeast I just might be confused on the hefe yeast thing, this is the first one I’ve brewed

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5618 on: July 12, 2024, 11:14:24 am »
This is my 20th brew so I have some experience with the age of yeast I just might be confused on the hefe yeast thing, this is the first one I’ve brewed

Sorry the age of the beer and the amount of yeast still in suspension not the age of the yeast

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5619 on: July 12, 2024, 11:26:18 am »
I have seen a beer change over the course of a couple weeks just giving it time to clean up after kegging, I thought with Hefeweizen yeast it is suppose to stay kind of in suspension that’s what gives it some of its flavor? Or is that something I’m misinterpreting? Is it just the hefe yeast gives a bunch of flavor and not necessarily that you want to be having yeast in the beer per se?
I don't think the yeast is supposed to stay in suspension.  Proteins are what remain and cause the hazy look. But that's a topic for someone with vastly more knowledge than I have. It gets complicated learning all the different things that can cause a beer to not clear. 

This guy seems to have a decent grasp on it.
https://beersmith.com/blog/2017/02/09/clarity-and-haze-in-beer-with-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-142/

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5620 on: July 12, 2024, 11:28:55 am »
I don't think the yeast is supposed to stay in suspension.  Proteins are what remain and cause the hazy look. But that's a topic for someone with vastly more knowledge than I have. It gets complicated learning all the different things that can cause a beer to not clear. 

This guy seems to have a decent grasp on it.
https://beersmith.com/blog/2017/02/09/clarity-and-haze-in-beer-with-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-142/
Oh ya the wheat malt probably provides a lot of the proteins for the haziness, thank you for the link!

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5621 on: July 12, 2024, 11:43:59 am »
I'd love to know why this forum makes every link I post 0.01pt text.  I get tired of editing out "size" tags that I never entered... Among other things like double spacing on paragraphs and such.

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5622 on: July 12, 2024, 03:00:33 pm »

My understanding is that protein is what caused the haze in the original NEIPAs.  Although, I'm not sure if that continues to be accurate for later generations, based on what I've read.

However, for Hefeweizen, the haze is mostly yeast.  When pouring from a bottle, you can swirl the yeast that settled out back into suspension so that you get the full effect.  :)  The "hefe" in the name means "yeast".

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5623 on: July 12, 2024, 05:23:13 pm »
After most of the beer has been poured, In Germany the bartender would roll the bottle on the bar to get the yeast remaining and pour it into the glass.

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5624 on: July 12, 2024, 05:38:19 pm »

My understanding is that protein is what caused the haze in the original NEIPAs.  Although, I'm not sure if that continues to be accurate for later generations, based on what I've read.

However, for Hefeweizen, the haze is mostly yeast.  When pouring from a bottle, you can swirl the yeast that settled out back into suspension so that you get the full effect.  :)  The "hefe" in the name means "yeast".
Right! Yeast wheat is literally the name of the type of beer! So do you think it still needs time? If so then what is happening in that amount of time that will make it taste cleaner, if it’s not dropping yeast?